• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Relationships at an Early Age?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years

First, because legally, you can't get married till you're 18 (or whenever depending on what country you live in.) So unless you have the endurance of a Golem, you need to wait till you're of marriable age (lol i don't know if that's grammatically correct) and that's a heck of a long time. I morally don't like live-in partners, for several reasons, so I don't count that.

Second, having a boyfriend/girlfriend sort of narrows your list of friends.

I could quote your whole post and find things I disagree with but these two points stood out to me the most. First of all, you're implying that relationships have to end in marriage. That's crap. Lots of people are more comfortable without the commitment of marriage in their relationship, and that's fine.

Your second point is just as bad. How on earth does being in a relationship narrow your list of friends? It's your choice if you want to spend time with your girlfriend or boyfriend over your mates. My last relationships had absolutely no impact on my friend list. In fact, if anything it got larger because I got to know my girlfriends friends and their friends, etc.

Honestly being in a relationship at a young age is perfectly okay, and it angers me greatly when people say that young people can't 'love' or 'don't know what love is.' That's implying you can only experience love at a certain age which is definitely not true, because I know for a fact that I've experienced love at the age of 13. If two people are happy together then it's fine, whether they're 10 or 18 or 60.

Next, experiencing relationships at a young age is just setting you up for future relationships. You learn from mistakes, you learn how to talk to the opposite sex and develop social skills. You learn what a relationship entails and gain more confidence in yourself. I'm sure someone that is 25 and never had a girlfriend before wishes that they could have had one at a young age.

Basically no, I don't think it's stupid.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
I don't know. Maybe it's because of how I was raised, or just my general way of thinking.

I find boyfriend/girlfriend relationships at early ages (when i mean early, I still mean teen years) weird.

It's not that I'm an immature person who finds kissing gross. Of course not. In fact, I like reading romantic novels and listening to cheezy music every so-and-so.

But in reality, having a relationship at an early age for me seems to be a waste of time.

First, because legally, you can't get married till you're 18 (or whenever depending on what country you live in.) So unless you have the endurance of a Golem, you need to wait till you're of marriable age (lol i don't know if that's grammatically correct) and that's a heck of a long time. I morally don't like live-in partners, for several reasons, so I don't count that.

But if you aren't serious about staying together with your partner, e.g. actually planning to break up with him/her in a few months, then what's the point of devoting your time and energy for him/her?

Second, having a boyfriend/girlfriend sort of narrows your list of friends. Especially if you have a controlling girlfriend/boyfriend who strictly monitors your time with your other friends. Wouldn't it be cooler if you had like, a lot of friends which are of the opposite sex, so that once you're old and mature and is looking for a soulmate, it's easier to pick? That would save a lot of couples from divorce, because you aren't forced to only spend time with your girlfriend, which you shuffle between chores and schoolwork.

Third, they sort of limit what you're able to do. I have a friend who's girlfriend doesn't let him watch movies without her. Stupid right? So when the dark knight came out, he had to wait for 4-5 weeks later before he could watch the movie with his girlfriend. Psh. Seriously?

Now imagine all the other stuff you could do if you didn't waste time on relationships? Subtract all those moments where you have to text him/her, go on dates with him/her, buy gifts for him/her, etc. You wouldn't be cramped up with your studying, or more importantly, eating cookies! 8D Loljk. But seriously, that's a lot of extra time in your hands. And a lot of less stress.

So what do you think? Are relationships at an early age feasible, convenient, and okay, or not? And also, if you currently have a relationship with someone, was it because you wanted to fit with the norm, or was it because you really loved that person? Discuss. :)

I think its a to young of an age to be worrying about bf/gf. Your still a kid enjoy the life of playing having fun etc. well you still can. Belive it or not having a boyfriend or girlfriend is a lot of work and responsibility and no ten year old will actually love love love someone. We all misunderstand the word love and the meaning of it. I think at a kid age love is puppy love. And just the thought of kids... doing something scares me lol. Anyways I think its just better to have lots of friends enjoy the youth and be glad you don't have a million things u got to do.

Franceschi

a.k.a justin timberlake
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 5, 2015
I think its a to young of an age to be worrying about bf/gf. Your still a kid enjoy the life of playing having fun etc. well you still can. Belive it or not having a boyfriend or girlfriend is a lot of work and responsibility and no ten year old will actually love love love someone. We all misunderstand the word love and the meaning of it. I think at a kid age love is puppy love. And just the thought of kids... doing something scares me lol. Anyways I think its just better to have lots of friends enjoy the youth and be glad you don't have a million things u got to do.
It's impossible to say that "kid age love is puppy love" because your perception and opinion of what love is is constantly changing. Yes, you'll probably look back on your teenage relationships and think "I wasn't really in love with them" but at the time, it does feel like love and if that's what you feel you're experiencing, then that's what you are.

I pretty much agree with all of Will's post, especially that relationships a little earlier in life set you up for successful future relationships. It's worth having some fun when you're young and enjoying yourself and enjoying just spending time with someone you genuinely really care about. It means you can set yourself a realistic standard of relationship that you can aim to find in the future and that's a really good thing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
Wait. Wait. Wait. Having a relationship means you no longer can have fun? How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

What I ment is have fun no responsibility. Not many kids realize what the word love means. Like what it really means. Its not just something u can have fun with then not deal with the hard times of love after the fun. Its a big responsibility is what I meant. And that as a kid enjoy not having huge responsibility unless u really want to go into that. Alot of relationships is a lot of drama that kids should not be going through in that time of their life =/.

Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
Being 11 myself, I thought I'd like to offer my views - which probably don't count for much - about this matter.
As I am only 11, and not even a teenager yet, most would consider me "too young" for a relationship, but the way I see it is this: If you believe you are responsible, mature and you understand what you are entering in to, then it is up to you to decide whether you are serious enough about it. It will vary from person to person, but the one thing you have to ask yourself before entering a relationship is this; "Do I really love her/him?" Think about it. Think for as long as it takes. Think as hard as possible. Don't rush in to an answer, because you "think" that might be it, make sure that you are adamant on your decision.

As a side note, I can't actually offer anything about being in a relationship as the few times I worked up the courage to ask someone out, they rejected/friendzoned me anyway. I guess I'm just not very attractive...

Destiny out.

Back