• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Professor is a female! Gasp.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Over a year ago we found out that the Professor of Unova would be a female, rather than a male, which traditionally occurred in all other mainstream Pokemon games. So how do you feel about this?

- Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?
- Do you think she was a "good" Professor?
- Do you think she had more personality than the other Professors?
- Do you like that her father was also brought into the story and actually plays "somewhat" of a part post-game in checking your Pokedex?
- Why do you think they chose to have a female Professor?

Discuss these points and more! :)

Ash's Infernape

Pokémon Protector
Years
I liked that they were making a female character, Because male ones started getting boring with Rowan. Her personalty is quite great, combing Professors/Friendly ones. Her dad was again just like Oak, Obvious to his surroundings. His plot in Dragonspiral Tower was very badly written. A Female professor brought a fresh change in the game, and I like how she appeared more in the game. She appeared in 4-5 places. Other male professors will only contact or do something, nearly always in their labs/stalking new trainers.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I liked that they were making a female character, Because male ones started getting boring with Rowan. Her personalty is quite great, combing Professors/Friendly ones. Her dad was again just like Oak, Obvious to his surroundings. His plot in Dragonspiral Tower was very badly written. A Female professor brought a fresh change in the game, and I like how she appeared more in the game. She appeared in 4-5 places. Other male professors will only contact or do something, nearly always in their labs/stalking new trainers.

On the note about her father, why do you think that plot was badly written? How do you think it could be improved?

But yeah, you're right about Juniper, she actually made an effort to see you, like with the Lucky Egg, the other Professors wouldn't really track you down like that to give you a gift. :x

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I liked her but I was kind of disappointed with her father being in the game at all, tbh. I mean, we finally have an important female professor but it felt kind of like the professor wasn't strong enough to stand on her own as interesting, so we had to have yet another old, wise male professor come in to fill in for her, lol. I would have been happier if she had had a son or a sister or her mom or something that didn't give me the impression that she needed an Oak figure to be interesting.

Her XTransceiver art is pretty cute though if you ask me.
Juniper_Xtransceiver.png

Although she could have been designed a bit more...classicly, I guess is the word for it. She kind of reminds me of a soccer mom that wants to be "hip", so she wears sneakers and skirts that are so obviously not the style but you can tell she's trying really hard, haha.

Ash's Infernape

Pokémon Protector
Years

On the note about her father, why do you think that plot was badly written? How do you think it could be improved?

But yeah, you're right about Juniper, she actually made an effort to see you, like with the Lucky Egg, the other Professors wouldn't really track you down like that to give you a gift. :x

See, If he actually did something (They would have only made another xTranciever art) like, call us to inform us of the situation. He just stood there until the player comes and then we tells, does something and goes off. They should have replaced his part in Dragonspiral Tower with Alder/Gym Leaders.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I liked her but I was kind of disappointed with her father being in the game at all, tbh. I mean, we finally have an important female professor but it felt kind of like the professor wasn't strong enough to stand on her own as interesting, so we had to have yet another old, wise male professor come in to fill in for her, lol. I would have been happier if she had had a son or a sister or her mom or something that didn't give me the impression that she needed an Oak figure to be interesting.

Her XTransceiver art is pretty cute though if you ask me.
Juniper_Xtransceiver.png

Although she could have been designed a bit more...classicly, I guess is the word for it. She kind of reminds me of a soccer mom that wants to be "hip", so she wears sneakers and skirts that are so obviously not the style but you can tell she's trying really hard, haha.

! Wonderful point, young Toujours. Yeaaah... that does kind of take away from the whole excitement of her being a female, but oh God, I can't imagine her with a son or a daughter, she really seems like someone not to have children, but rather be a role model. I agree with the mother though, just randomly sticking a father there and no mother kinda doesn't make sense for her, because it would really fill in a backstory of "why did she become a Professor".

See, If we actually did something (They would have only made another xTranciever art) like, call us to inform us of the situation. He just stood there until the player comes and then we tells, does something and goes off. They should have replaced his part in Dragonspiral Tower with Alder/Gym Leaders.

Yeah I guess that'd have been nice, but there's kinda no point where he asks for your phone number - if he did then maybe he would at least SEEM more important.

Ash's Infernape

Pokémon Protector
Years

Yeah I guess that'd have been nice, but there's kinda no point where he asks for your phone number - if he did then maybe he would at least SEEM more important.

That's true, and he also played a relatively short role and didn't even comment on the whole light/dark stone part starting with Lenora's Museum.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

! Wonderful point, young Toujours. Yeaaah... that does kind of take away from the whole excitement of her being a female, but oh God, I can't imagine her with a son or a daughter, she really seems like someone not to have children, but rather be a role model. I agree with the mother though, just randomly sticking a father there and no mother kinda doesn't make sense for her, because it would really fill in a backstory of "why did she become a Professor".

What if he's there to make up for all the missing fathers of everyone else? Considering Bianca's dad had a big role and then Juniper had a dad, but throughout the games they for some reason avoid dads like the plague...

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years

Yeah, they get their assistants to do all the work.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I like that the Professor was a young female instead of an older man, actually. I find it very refreshing and it gives a new angle to an old 'profession'... yeah, I know... totally a bad pun. Having the father in there was kind of like OK? Is she not good enough? I don't know, just don't like the guy as much as his daughter.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I loved that they had a female Professor for the gen. I was getting tired of old, wrinkly men. XD

As for the story about her and her father, they should have added more back story. They sort of just threw him at us and was like "This her dad. Deal with it."

Molts

Novice Breeder
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
I don't think it was her gender that made her a much better professor than previous ones. Better story telling in general, more involved characters, and such were what made every character in the game better than what we have previously seen. While her gender is new, it doesn't actually have that much influence in how good a character she was, nor should it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I loved that they had a female Professor for the gen. I was getting tired of old, wrinkly men. XD

As for the story about her and her father, they should have added more back story. They sort of just threw him at us and was like "This her dad. Deal with it."
If I remember correctly, an NPC states that Prof. Juniper and Cedric used to be Backpackers. But I agree, Cedric needs a bit more backstory, including how he got interested in studying Pokemon.

As for Aurea (her first name) herself, I think it's a good change to have a female main game professor for once. She does remind me of Oak for some reason.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Being female doesn't make any difference to her as a character, apart from how it could excuse her motherliness a little better. She only might seem a little eccentric if male, but she could easily have been the same. Her coming to the player didn't make any odds to me; I felt that Elm was about as involved, in HG/SS, despite being static. I would probably say that she's more helpful than the other professors, though — saving me having to look for a lucky egg and often indicating where I should go next (obvious as it is in Unova, but it's good of her anyway). She's also nice enough to reward the player physically for Unova Pokedex completion with TMs, and again to count seen rather than actually caught monsters.

So all in all, not a better character in herself, just a better 'professor of X region'.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Being quite the semi-feminist that I am, I am so glad they finally made a female professor. Now we only need a female rival and then I can call pokémon decently well balanced. But there's still no male nurses or police officers. Just the good-looking girls that guys can drool over. But after all, it's mostly a guys' franchise, being a game and all, I guess.

Hm, I hate when there's too much masculinity, like when every important character in a movie is male *coughTintincough*

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Juniper_Xtransceiver.png

I kind of disagree here! She has her own style and it fits who she is as a professor. She doesn't speak too professional and her personality shows more than the other professors have in previous games. I'd rather a style like this for her than one that would just come off as a professor with no added style. She's lively and her clothes make her a little bit more lively as well! Plus she's no young woman so why go around sporting flip flops? :P High heels could work but the sneakers are fine in my opinion.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
Personally, I thought it was great to finally see a female Professor. Before Black and White whenever I thought of Pokemon Professors I hadn't really considered the fact that our next Professor would be female. And hence, when I found out that we would have a female Professor it was surprising. It partly contributed to my reason for buying Black and White, since I perceived at first that perhaps there are other differences and "broken traditions" (so to say) in Black and White. Being a Pokemon fan since Generation 1, I wanted to experience these perceived "differences".

I've generally liked all the Professors and how they contribute to the storyline / plot of the games and anime, and Professor Juniper is no different. :)

Anyway, I agree with Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers's point regarding the lack of a female rival in the Pokemon games. That would be something I'd like to see implemented in the future. ;)

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
At first I was really skeptical about the whole thing, being as all previous gens had male professors, but I eventually realized that it would bring more diversity to the game. To me, all the additions to the games such as time, different genders/races, and seasons make the games feel almost "real" in a sense. We all know that Pokemon aren't real, but the game gives a feeling of almost an alternate reality, and that a world like this really could exist.

Ehh, yes and no. Her model looked kinda stupid at first as well, but in the long run it's not that important.

Definitely. She actually continued to talk to you throughout your adventure and actually met up with you a few times. It's nice to see a professor actually leave their Lab every once in a while, heh?

I would say so. I think the anime also played an important role in my feelings in this category, but staying game related I think she definitely brought some interesting dialogue and more to the table.

- Do you like that her father was also brought into the story and actually plays "somewhat" of a part post-game in checking your Pokedex?
Eh, not a huge fan of her dad. To me, probably because I'm also a female, I enjoyed seeing a strong willed woman in the Pokemon series (excluding the anime) as a leader. Then when I saw her dad come into the picture, I was kind of let down. Not really sure why but to me I was kind of like, wow her dad is kinda helping her with her studies? I mean I guess that's kinda cute, and different, but I don't know. Not even sure if that made sense. Lol.

I think they are really trying to add diversity to the game, which is apparent with the many changes they made with B/W. We have Iris which is a first in the series, and I'm very glad to see changes like this and hope for more in the future. Pokemon has always had a tendency to be kinda sexist, as much as I hate to say it, but with recent changes such as Cynthia and Juniper, I'm glad to see the direction the games are going in.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Yea, why wouldn't I, there is a reason that she became a professor. Gender means nothing.
Yeah, but she is no Professor Oak
I didn't care for her personality much....I just don't know why
Sure
Because particular females probably complained so much about not having a female professor even though there is one (Ivy) but they wanted it inside of the games.

:t354:TG

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I like the idea of a female professor, all the male ones are old and boring (except Oak maybe). She was a pretty good professor, she had your Pokémon delivered, so you didn't have to go to get the Pokémon, the Pokémon came to you. She also went to the effort to come and give you items in person, rather then you go and see her, or have an aide give them to you. She had more personality than most other professors (except Oak again) mainly because you got to see more of her than the others. I don't think her dad was really needed, it kind of reinforced the stereotype of women not being able to do stuff like that alone, even though she was capable. I think they chose a female professor because they wanted a change from the standard and to give women a bigger role in the game, instead of being your mum, who stays at home for most of the game.

Back