Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Help Map Rating/Review Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (01:59 PM).
Spanish Rom Hacker

Quote originally posted by joexv:
Spoiler:
Review:
That doesn't look bad but I bet you can improve it!
First of all, you should think about adding shadows to the houses.
The mountain in the bottom part of the map has actually no sense.
I think you should put less flowers and add more trees.

Rate: 5/10

------------------------

Map name: Route 1
Map Game: Fire Red
Map:
Spoiler:
Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:09 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Hey, I made my first new town fro starting a hack.
I Know it's very simple but it's just a starting town.
I am willing to add tiles soon.

Spoiler:

Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:50 AM).

Quote originally posted by Kwstaspaokara:

Spoiler:

Decent for a starting town map. But there's a bit too much unoccupied space. Perhaps you should add another house. but then again, maybe that was intentional or part of your hack's plot.

I'd give it a 6/10.
Old 6 Days Ago (09:40 PM).
The True XV
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to joexv

Spoiler:

I would really recommend spicing things up a bit in those large empty areas, maybe do some fenced off fields?
5/10 I like what youre doing with it, it just seems empty.

Heres my newest map, Agairo City(South-East Corner)
Spoiler:
Old 6 Days Ago (10:28 AM).
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by joexv:
I would really recommend spicing things up a bit in those large empty areas, maybe do some fenced off fields?
5/10 I like what youre doing with it, it just seems empty.

Heres my newest map, Agairo City(South-East Corner)
Spoiler:
I think the map overall is too shaped. The buildings are rectangular in a rectangular area with perfectly placed trees all around.
The trees themselves I think are too cartoony and do not fit the Pokemon environment whatsoever.
Plus what are those little brown sperm-like decorations on the walls o.0 Those needs to go away lol
I think the map is also too under-decorated. It's just white and gray with brown doors and green around that. Flowers need to be added outside the area, something of color inside the area... that isn't green or brown or white or gray.
6/10 needs work but can look great in the end.

/// Pokémon: Discovery
/// Pokémon: Fat Kid
/// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
/// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
/// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
/// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
/// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
Old 4 Days Ago (08:41 AM). Edited 3 Days Ago by raph333.

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to raph333

Spoiler:

About your mapSome good ideas for a first map. I believe it could easily be condensed and that you could add some more tiles (as you mentioned you are willing) to make the overall town prettier or just to fill the empty spaces. I really believe this map, from the overall map size to the route size can be condensed(it's a wide route). If you were going for a big city-type of area, and didn't want to add maps, I would suggest editing a city like Vermilion, which has 8 total inside building map spaces.

Rom: FireRed
Game: A hack I'm working on currently.
Type: A starting route (maybe a bit too detailed?)

Just made this map for a hack I'm currently working on. I've been reading some advice on this thread but some feedback on my actual map would be helpful. Thanks!

My new hack:
Pokémon: Merging Worlds
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=354622
Old 4 Days Ago (09:27 AM).
Understand Understand

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by raph333:

Just made this map for a hack I'm currently working on. I've been reading some advice on this thread but some feedback on my actual map would be helpful. Thanks!
The amount of detail is okay. What I've noticed is the fact that the mountains stop right before the border blocks, which looks strange to me. Play around with the border and add variety while trying to make sure that the player doesn't see the transistion from the mountains to the trees outside the border. Also, the player doesn't actually have to go over the mountain tiles here, which could be changed as well to make things more interesting. It is a starting route though, so it's up to you in the end.
In general: Definitely try to improve the border. More space to go through (2 blocks wide or more, that one block of space next to the ledge is not enough), more trees in the middle, etc.
Playtest a lot to get a feeling for the map and how you can improve it.
Old 4 Days Ago (10:45 AM).

Quote originally posted by raph333:

This is the first time I rate a map and the first time I post one.
I like this map. The map seems fine to me. Perhaps some narrow passages for the player. Other then that, I think the route will be pleasant to go through.

Just 1 other remark. I find it odd that there is a pushing boulder, as it is just the starting route. I would wait till after the first town to add this. But that's just how I see it.

Now, for my very first map.

Map Name: Map 1

Map Game: Fire red

Comments: My first map. It hasn't got any purpose. The only purpose it could have is to be a route to go to another town. I only played around with everything and tried. It isn't a map for a hack or anything.

Mapshot:
Attached Images
File Type: png map 1.PNG‎ (46.1 KB, 22 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old 3 Days Ago (01:58 AM).
Understand why
Platinum Tier

The design is good, but there are a lot of tile errors with the trees and fences. It may be a good idea to purpose those cliffs (i.e. don’t just have them be there, make them useful), and you may want to get rid of those rocks next to the trees as they look a good bit out-of-place.

Here’s a map that’s soon to be released in my ROM hack, Pokémon Citrite. It’s called Mt. Massive:
Spoiler:
Pokémon Citrite Version
Old 3 Days Ago (02:16 AM).
The Evil Queen
Moderator, CS

Quote originally posted by Tim!:
Now, for my very first map.

Map Name: Map 1

Map Game: Fire red

Comments: My first map. It hasn't got any purpose. The only purpose it could have is to be a route to go to another town. I only played around with everything and tried. It isn't a map for a hack or anything.

Mapshot:
Your map has a pretty wide connection, which is pretty unusual and normally makes levelscripts more fiddly if you're planning on anything happening as you enter the map.

This wideness and the lack of paths and structure in your map leave it with no real direction. You should use trees to sculpt some kind of outline to your route (not just using a huge block on one side and a long straight fence on the other). As Nick said your tree-block looks like its stacked up on errors at the moment .

I'd recommend you switch up the dimensions - if a map goes from top to bottom then it should be taller than it is wide. That will immediately give your map a bit more shape, which will lend with the direction.

2/10

Quote originally posted by Nick:
Here’s a map that’s soon to be released in my ROM hack, Pokémon Citrite. It’s called Mt. Massive:
Spoiler:
Really good mountain shape generally, and the tiles suit. There is one small problem in the layering - those stairs on the left go up three tiles, however that 'peak' just to the left' actually ends up a bit confused, due to you the bit below.

Overall though, strong map. Maybe it could do with a bit more decoration (some snowy trees/grass) but I know snow tilesets are often a bit limited anyway.

8/10
Old 3 Days Ago (07:42 AM).
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Nick:
The design is good, but there are a lot of tile errors with the trees and fences. It may be a good idea to purpose those cliffs (i.e. don’t just have them be there, make them useful), and you may want to get rid of those rocks next to the trees as they look a good bit out-of-place.

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by Mana:
Your map has a pretty wide connection, which is pretty unusual and normally makes levelscripts more fiddly if you're planning on anything happening as you enter the map.

This wideness and the lack of paths and structure in your map leave it with no real direction. You should use trees to sculpt some kind of outline to your route (not just using a huge block on one side and a long straight fence on the other). As Nick said your tree-block looks like its stacked up on errors at the moment .

I'd recommend you switch up the dimensions - if a map goes from top to bottom then it should be taller than it is wide. That will immediately give your map a bit more shape, which will lend with the direction.

2/10

Really good mountain shape generally, and the tiles suit. There is one small problem in the layering - those stairs on the left go up three tiles, however that 'peak' just to the left' actually ends up a bit confused, due to you the bit below.

Overall though, strong map. Maybe it could do with a bit more decoration (some snowy trees/grass) but I know snow tilesets are often a bit limited anyway.

8/10
Good eye! Took me forever to figure out what you were talking about lol. Inception!

Alex, the map itself looks good in terms of EM-style snow tiles and the layout is easy to walk around. The only thing I don't like is

Can't tell if you have it set to 2 movement rows ... I hate in games where you can only walk one tile paths, doesn't make it comfortable for the player to move around.

Also, like Mana said. It's kind of plain. Needs decorations. Mountains have trees (i.e. this picture or this one.

If the problem is not having any tiles for that or know where to get them, I decided to be awesome and compiled a few free public tiles for you:
Spoiler:

Add some decorations and go from a 8/10 to a 10/10 in my book

/// Pokémon: Discovery
/// Pokémon: Fat Kid
/// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
/// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
/// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
/// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
/// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)