• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Complete Item Editor

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Complete Item Editor

Complete Item Editor is a tool for hacking Pokemon third generation ROMs. Its sole purpose is to edit anything and everything about the items in the game.

Features:
Edits all types of items
You can change the items; Name, Price, Description, Pocket, and the order Pokeballs are stored in the Ball Pocket.
Item IDs automatically generated sequentially.
Automatically repoints descriptions that are too large.
Displays description as it would appear in game (assuming it fits on screen)
You can change the items; Type, Usage Location, Field Effect, Battle Script, Value of effect, Hold effect, and the Attack held by a TM/TM.
If you are creating a new item, you can add a script for it to run when used from the bag.
You can turn any item into an Evolutionary Stone with one click (also make it unable to be an evolutionary stone)
You can change the location of the image if you have inserted a new one already.
You can manually edit the palette or repoint it if you have inserted a new one already.
Has lots of error checking to prevent you from making stupid mistakes.
Single clicking an item will keep you on the same page.
Double clicking an item will move you to the General page.
All fields have information displayed at the bottom. (so you know what its for)
All offsets can be eight characters or less. (you don't have to put the 08 up front)
Supports BPRE, BPGE, AXVE, AXPE, BPEE and most hacks based on any of them. (more can be added if I had all the offsets I need)
Image options are unavailable for AXVE and AXPE because they don't have item images.

UPDATE: Version 2.0:
You can select which battle effect you want from a list instead of using offsets.
You can also select the field effect from a list.
Added a "More Usage" button under the Usage section.
You can heal status effects, pp, hp, increase/decrease happiness, increase stats in battle, increase EVs, incease levels, and so much more...

View attachment 73310 View attachment 73313
View attachment 73335 View attachment 73336

NOTE: no image editing functions are added yet... its on the list tho.

Ive been having a hard time decompressing the LZ77 images into something usable... if anyone has any tips id love to hear em...

ToDO List:
Display Item images.
Allow users to edit and save new images for their custom items.

VVV Credit these guys VVV:
God - for making all things possible.
xGal - for an inspirational tutorial to get me started.
KarateKid - for teaching me how to make Evolutionary Stones.
Darthatron - for making the ASM script to use items from the bag.

thanks for your time, hope you like it. and ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR ROM!!!

(Most Recent Update: 2.4 11/2/14)
View attachment LSA - Complete Item Editor.zip

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
This looks great, good job. Only one complaint though, there are already two other item editors out there one of them yours resembles a lot actually. Just wondering what makes your program better than the other two or were you just going for UI Changes or? Good work again, good contribution.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
This looks great, good job. Only one complaint though, there are already two other item editors out there one of them yours resembles a lot actually. Just wondering what makes your program better than the other two or were you just going for UI Changes or? Good work again, good contribution.

Have you ever tried using either of the other two editors to make an evolutionary stone... or perhaps make an item run script out of battle... or change the items palette or image?
Item Manager does not even edit Descriptions, only repoints them, and Item Editor does not auto repoint them... so you have to manually find free space point there and then edit it.

Neither of them repoint the image and palette (Item Image Editor does tho...) UNlz can repoint the image and palette only if you are replacing old image data, if you are inserting new ones you must use Item Image Editor...

just to tally, thats 4 tools so far just to do what this one can do... not to mention the hex editor needed for all the things none of those can do, or a free space finder needed to repoint any description.

and eventually I want it to be able to actually edit the image instead of just point to a new one.

Not to mention there are more "unknown" bytes displayed on the other ones that I gave names too (figuring out what they did). (although I still have a few unknown bytes)

then there is the information box at the bottom that actually tells what each field does... so noone gets confused, or does not realize that you can edit an aspect simply because the tag says "mystery" or "special"

I realize that a new item editor was not asked for or really needed because its REALLY easy to hex edit items from scratch... Item Manager works great, but I make ALOT of items, I find it quite rewarding when your new item works like it should :) so now I dont need to mess in a hex editor at all (for now I still need GraphicsGale and unLZ though, but eventually i wont even need those).

When I'm finished to make any item you will need 3 tools; Comoplete Item Editor, a script editor for making items script (if it needs one), and a pokemon editor for adding evolutions to pokemon who use the stone (if needed).

xGal

Mhm
Years
This looks really good, and it makes me happy to see someone inspired by me :) (yay im in the credits list).

I think that Jambo has released a function for decompressing LZ77 images in his GitHub, maybe it's what you are looking for :). If you haven't seen his GitHub, I highly suggest you to do so. A link to his GitHub can be found in Notes section in my tutorial :).

I wish you a good luck with this tool, I would definitely use it I will have time to continue hacking.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Just curious how running the script from the bag works? Does it need JPANs engine or have you incorporated Darthatron's little hack? Does this mean I can just compile an XSE script and put it straight into your tool?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Just curious how running the script from the bag works? Does it need JPANs engine or have you incorporated Darthatron's little hack? Does this mean I can just compile an XSE script and put it straight into your tool?

check the credits, it uses Darthatron's ASM script, just compile a script and toss its offset in the tool, no need to +1 or anything, and no need for JPANs engine... no need in finding free space for the ASM either, it handles all that for you. It even handles the "02 Use-of-SELECT" part for you so you really can't mess it up without trying real hard.

ALSO later if you come back to the same item, it will realize that it was made this way and open up the options for you (to assign a new script if need be or move the ASM part (god only knows why you would need that).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
HOLY CRAP WOW UPDATE:

Soooo now you can edit your items ALOT more... you can edit their usefullness alot more...

You can also select the battle effects and field effects from a list... so you dont have to copy offsets... you can still put in custom ones tho...

See Main Post For Screenshots.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
As a suggestion, you should be able to repoint the item table with a click and then be able to add new items :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
When I try the 'More Usage' button, the program gives me an unhandled exception error.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
When I try the 'More Usage' button, the program gives me an unhandled exception error.

Screenshot it for me please (or type the details specifically)

what rom are you using it on?

As a suggestion, you should be able to repoint the item table with a click and then be able to add new items :)
I suppose I can do that... assuming I can find all the pointers (im sure there are more than 1)... how many more items do you need lol (there are so many free ones already)

Ill try to make it happen.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024

I am using a clean US FireRed ROM.

What it looks like to me, is you don't have the most recent version of the .net framework...

if you click "continue" it SHOULD work fine.

I used a piece of the visual powerpack to draw a line between the HP restore checkboxes and the PP restore checkboxes... if you click continue, that line wont be there but all functionality should remain. (the line does nothing but seperate them visually)

u can fix the error by updating your .net framework (microsoft.com should have instructions) or just ignore it (assuming I am right about it continuing when you click continue).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
When I click continue, the program still works, but it refuses to bring up the 'More Usage' screen.

I already have the latest version of the .NET framework. Visual proof:

I hope we can figure this out because the 'More Usage' screen, with it's wide variety of possibilities, is one of the most intriguing things about this tool for me.

EDIT: I should also mention, I have Windows 8.1.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
win 8.1 might have something to do with it, but I dont see why (if the rest of the program works)

I will look into how the tool opens and see if I can figure it out...

(also I did update it earlier today to version 2.1 but the edit probably wont help your problem)

if you can screenshot or copy all the text in the details it would be a great help (sometimes it tells me exactly what line the error is on)

If anyone else is using 8.1 can they confirm that is the problem...

or if you have a win7 computer to test it on...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
win 8.1 might have something to do with it, but I dont see why (if the rest of the program works)

I will look into how the tool opens and see if I can figure it out...

(also I did update it earlier today to version 2.1 but the edit probably wont help your problem)

if you can screenshot or copy all the text in the details it would be a great help (sometimes it tells me exactly what line the error is on)

If anyone else is using 8.1 can they confirm that is the problem...

or if you have a win7 computer to test it on...

Here's a copy-paste of the error text.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
at LSA___Complete_Item_Editor.MoreUsageOptions.InitializeComponent()
at LSA___Complete_Item_Editor.MoreUsageOptions..ctor(String Offset, Byte[] data, OpenFileDialog OFD)
at LSA___Complete_Item_Editor.GUI.btnMore_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34014 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
LSA - Complete Item Editor
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Melissa/Documents/Rom%20Hacking/Tools/LSA%20-%20Complete%20Item%20Editor/Complete%20Item%20Editor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34003 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Here's a copy-paste of the error text.

Yeah, it seems to be that line (when using the VSpowerpack), so I removed it and drew it another way(looks better anyway), version 2.2 should work fine on win 8.1... please let me know...

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Strange bug, not sure if it's intentional. Whenever I try to open this or the Multi-Choice editor I get an error saying it isn't a valid Win32 application. However Patch Checker works perfectly.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Strange bug, not sure if it's intentional. Whenever I try to open this or the Multi-Choice editor I get an error saying it isn't a valid Win32 application. However Patch Checker works perfectly.

i made patch checker with win 32 as the target... i may fix that for the other tools ive made...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Its great that you also make a itemeditor but be so kind and dont say to users wrong facts.

Mine can. You CAN import, repoint as well as image and palette-data from .bmp files or import from jasc-pal-files.

dont call people liars sir. in english "neither" usually corresponds to two components, in the above post:
Item Manager does not even edit Descriptions, only repoints them, and Item Editor does not auto repoint them...

if you are not the creator of "Item Manager" or "Item Editor" than I did not give "wrong facts".
I am well aware that you are making an item editor that can do this.

Also your tool seems to be buggy in many facts and cases. (Thats actualy the reason why i have started to make my tool because all other destoryed the rom in some cases).
In fact i think your and my tool have both advantages and disavantages in many cases...
If I have glitches, please tell me where and I will fix them. I have never destroyed a rom by making an item before.(with other tools or mine)

To be fair, if I am going to ask for glitches you found in mine, I will give you the glitches I found in yours:

this item causes glitches:
glitch1.JPG

this is just totally wrong:
Errors.JPG

its an issue for many items...

I can go into detail about how that is wrong, but I covered it in this post:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8428708&postcount=13

and thsts not to mention all the stuff that isn't in english yet

Back