• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Aqua Blue (Pokedeaths, loot system, and more) Demo out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
Too much of the text and story is based around Pokemon death. Trainers talk about it a lot, and I really don't just want to put features in and have them forgettable or just tacked on. The death thing is something I plan on doing and doing correctly. Its a 1/5 chance. This means its not just if a pokemon faints, its out for good. I think with all of the choices and additional items and moves I'm giving, it should be more than possible to complete the game and enjoy it.

This is true but my reasoning is that pokemon are also shown as extremely resilient.
Koga's Arbok survived being chopped in half. :D

I'm looking forward to your beta though. :D

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
Just a suggestion and it isn't that much of a big deal to me. But I think you should do a new evil organization. Team Rocket is just too boring imo. A new team would be refreshing and make the hack better. If want to keep Team Rocket its fine, but I think a new organization would be better. Overall, this hack has my interest and good luck with it. I like the features.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Just a suggestion and it isn't that much of a big deal to me. But I think you should do a new evil organization. Team Rocket is just too boring imo. A new team would be refreshing and make the hack better. If want to keep Team Rocket its fine, but I think a new organization would be better. Overall, this hack has my interest and good luck with it. I like the features.

I appreciate the suggestion, but honestly new evil organizations are boring to me. They start to lose purpose and meaning. I would much rather have more depth and story to one specific team than have a million unimportant ones be thrown at me. Plus, team rocket is the original. Its the 151, and this ties together with the location and story. It completes the feel I'm going for.

This is true but my reasoning is that pokemon are also shown as extremely resilient.
Koga's Arbok survived being chopped in half. :D

I'm looking forward to your beta though. :D
That is a good and logical point, and I agree the 1/5 doesn't quite match the anime completely. This is one of the only features that isn't implemented yet, so when I see how it affects things, it could be raised or lowered. I'm not here to make the game impossible.

OML SO MANY FEATURES, I CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!!!!! >_> >_> >_> >_> >_> I NEED THIS HACK.
Aren't you the kid that was ripping on that black charmander joke hack that I did?

I am always interested to see what hackers will incorporate to make their hacks stand out from the pack, and I must say this one really jumped out at me! I am excited to try out all these new features and see how they affect gameplay, especially the crafting system. I will be eagerly awaiting the first demo of this game!
Thanks a bunch! I'll try to show off as many features in the demo.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
sigh.....yeah looks like I will have to give this a miss after all. Nothing personal, but yeah but I generally dislike hacks that go too far on exercising difficulty increases, and seeing yet another forced nuzlocke hack just turns me off. I find it alienating if anything else. The death mechanic just makes it worse for me, and a 1 in 5 chance is far too great to risk for me to bother trying. Good luck though at any rate, those that enjoy this kind of thing are sure to love it.

Years
Dude, this looks absolutely amazing. Looks like a great job so far. I kind of like the idea of a death system. Makes it a bit like a forced nuzlocke challenge, only not as harsh about your Pokemon dying since there's a chance they won't. It makes you appreciate your team more and also makes it seem more real.

It's cool that you're making the game you always wanted to see in the Pokemon series. I don't know if you plan on doing this, but I recommend changing the protagonist's OW sprite. Since it's supposed to be after Fire Red, and involves a completely different protagonist, it doesn't make much sense to have the same sprite. Just my two cents, though. It's great either way.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This has so much potential, and I can't wait to see where it goes :)

Also, I agree about the sprite thing. If it's after Fire Red, we need a new character sprite, maybe even give him/her BOTH parents. Make mention of the events of FR/LG, ect.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Well, yeah. But I guess I just didn't see the point of making that hack. ~_~ :( :[ But this is completely different from that hack. And I'm not a kid, dammit.

Actually that hack inspired this one. There will be an obtainable black charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur in this game as well. And coming from someone who is 26, you are to me. Regardless, no hard feelings. I hope you will enjoy this hack when I release it!

sigh.....yeah looks like I will have to give this a miss after all. Nothing personal, but yeah but I generally dislike hacks that go too far on exercising difficulty increases, and seeing yet another forced nuzlocke hack just turns me off. I find it alienating if anything else. The death mechanic just makes it worse for me, and a 1 in 5 chance is far too great to risk for me to bother trying. Good luck though at any rate, those that enjoy this kind of thing are sure to love it.

Hey, I'm not making this game for everyone, so I'm sorry if I disappointed you. Like I said a few posts up. The death mechanic is one of the only ones not in. I haven't tested or been able to adjust numbers. This isn't a forced nuzlocke. Your pokemon still have a chance to live. And in light of the new information I'm presenting you, if you still feel this isn't for you, then by all means feel free to pass it up. Thanks regardless!

Dude, this looks absolutely amazing. Looks like a great job so far. I kind of like the idea of a death system. Makes it a bit like a forced nuzlocke challenge, only not as harsh about your Pokemon dying since there's a chance they won't. It makes you appreciate your team more and also makes it seem more real.

It's cool that you're making the game you always wanted to see in the Pokemon series. I don't know if you plan on doing this, but I recommend changing the protagonist's OW sprite. Since it's supposed to be after Fire Red, and involves a completely different protagonist, it doesn't make much sense to have the same sprite. Just my two cents, though. It's great either way.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback! And yes, I will absolutely be changing it! Funny you mentioned that, because I was just actually making a test sprite. Here's a sneak peak:
spyGh10.png

I'm trying to do art last, because I know that's what gets changed the most. I want to get everything in and know I only need to do art once.

This has so much potential, and I can't wait to see where it goes :)

Also, I agree about the sprite thing. If it's after Fire Red, we need a new character sprite, maybe even give him/her BOTH parents. Make mention of the events of FR/LG, ect.
Last quote up!
There are so many mentions of the original games its going to make your head spin, haha. I wonder how those people felt when Red took that Eevee in Celadon...

Last edited:

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
The problem with the current death mechanic is that it's practically a dice roll if the Pokemon will live or not. Sure, the fainting may be the player's fault, but death is placed into the game's hands.
I propose a different method of death. I remember playing a demo of a fangame that had permadeath, but in a different fashion. During certain fights, a fainted Pokemon could be chosen to be revived, but if they were revived and fainted again, they would die. This places the blame of death in the player's hands, not the game's. In addition, there's a incentive for risking death. So my thoughts are that the player can choose which Pokemon has a risk of dying, and gets some incentive for doing so, but if the Pokemon faints, it will be gone forever. Sure, you can play without choosing death, but you won't get what the risk of death rewards.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
The problem with the current death mechanic is that it's practically a dice roll if the Pokemon will live or not. Sure, the fainting may be the player's fault, but death is placed into the game's hands.
I propose a different method of death. I remember playing a demo of a fangame that had permadeath, but in a different fashion. During certain fights, a fainted Pokemon could be chosen to be revived, but if they were revived and fainted again, they would die. This places the blame of death in the player's hands, not the game's. In addition, there's a incentive for risking death. So my thoughts are that the player can choose which Pokemon has a risk of dying, and gets some incentive for doing so, but if the Pokemon faints, it will be gone forever. Sure, you can play without choosing death, but you won't get what the risk of death rewards.

I would say I think this method leaves enough of it into the players hands. Its not an exact chance. Also, you will be able to turn the ghosts you receive into the pokemon tower in lavender town for things, so its not a complete waste.

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I would say I think this method leaves enough of it into the players hands. Its not an exact chance. Also, you will be able to turn the ghosts you receive into the pokemon tower in lavender town for things, so its not a complete waste.

Ehh, fair enough. I'm still worried about the dice roll-based death, considering the possibility that people can abuse save states to cheat their way out of a potential death. But then again, save states can be used for about everything.
Rewards by turning in ghosts sounds easily abusable by catching low-leveled Pokemon. Perhaps make the reward based on level (a dead level 30 will be more rewarding than a dead level 2)?

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
Years
This gotten my attention, especially reading about the death mechanic will be applied to this hack, seeing how there are not many hack that do it, so it'll definitely be interesting. I'll be keeping my eye out on this hack. :)

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Ehh, fair enough. I'm still worried about the dice roll-based death, considering the possibility that people can abuse save states to cheat their way out of a potential death. But then again, save states can be used for about everything.
Rewards by turning in ghosts sounds easily abusable by catching low-leveled Pokemon. Perhaps make the reward based on level (a dead level 30 will be more rewarding than a dead level 2)?

I appreciate you looking at it from an abuse angle. I don't plan on making the rewards life changing, and if someone wants to go catch a low level pokemon and faint it in battle for a 1/5 chance for it to actually die just to take it to lavender town to bury it to receive a small reward then I guess that's okay with me, haha.

We will see how things go. Regardless thanks for looking at this from that angle.

Link4799

Gage Linkous
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2016
Hey this hack looks really awesome! It adds a lot of interesting twists that I'm quite interested to try, a nice break from traditional Pokemon. I can't wait to try it!

trenhoj

The Pikadex Gym leader and shiny hunter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 5, 2019
I want to help. But how, I can't ROM hack. Well for now I can support it.

The game looks awesome.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2022
I know that you've already been getting a lot of questions about the death mechanic so I apologize if its annoying to you, but I was wondering what would happen if you only have one Pokemon in your party, and that Pokemon happens to die in battle? Does the game restart, or do you just go back as normal? Cuz if you only have one Pokemon, i.e. your starter, and it dies, you're left without anything to progress in the game, right?

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
I know that you've already been getting a lot of questions about the death mechanic so I apologize if its annoying to you, but I was wondering what would happen if you only have one Pokemon in your party, and that Pokemon happens to die in battle? Does the game restart, or do you just go back as normal? Cuz if you only have one Pokemon, i.e. your starter, and it dies, you're left without anything to progress in the game, right?

You are left with a ghost. This means you will be able to enter the battle with the ghost, but if you try to attack once, it ends the battle and you are sent to the pokecenter. You basically have one chance to capture another pokemon. Alternatively in the pokecenters, they hand out free weak pokemon.

I want to help. But how, I can't ROM hack. Well for now I can support it.

The game looks awesome.

Hey I appreciate your interest! That's all I need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back