The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Should I use fanmade starters or already made starters?
Fanmade 2 18.18%
Official 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:54 PM
Roboblob
High-Tech Maniac

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I need people to help me out with this. i can do the designs and the plot, but I need spriters and mappers and all that.

Plot
Spoiler:
So, it's basically this. It starts out like any other Pokemon game. You choose to be either a boy or a girl, gender you don't pick becomes your pseudo-rival, some other person becomes your rival, you get 8 badges to enter the League, and you have to defeat an evil team whose plot relevancy will overshadow the standard gym badges=Elite Four plot. Anyway, this story takes place in the region of Orion. Its shape is a plus sign. There are 2 towns and 2 cities on each quadrant, with one big city in the middle, Orion City. This game will feature manga inspired undertones.

Our hero starts off in Harbor Town in East Orion. He/she is reading a news article about this region's evil team, Team Universe. It says that Universe is building a device that can enable them to travel the Pokemon multiverse. The hero/ine wishes that they could do something to stop it. After a time, s/he realizes the time and heads off to Maplewood to get his/her Pokemon. His/her 2 best friends are there. The pseudo-rival and the rival. After a rival battle, they venture forth.

After the 2nd badge, a blonde girl runs up to you to make you battle her. You do so. After the 5th badge, another girl runs up to you for a battle. After the battle, Blue, the Viridian City gym leader/Red's rival/former Kanto champion runs up to you too to explain some things. Yellow and Leaf were the girls you battled. He explains that he, Red, Yellow, and Leaf(The four Pokedex holders from Kanto) arrived in Orion 2 weeks ago to check out Team Universe's schemes. They were captured, but only Blue escaped. He's been trying to find a way to get his friends back ever since. You offer to help, but Blue declines stating that he doesn't want anyone else in trouble and walks away. Your rival and pseudo-rival, who overheard the conversation, express their worries over his friends.

After the 6th badge, you encounter Red. You lose the battle, but Blue comes in just in time to start a battle, but Red withdraws and disappears. Blue wonders why they're only targeting you and not your friends, then goes away to do something.

After the 8th badge, you try to enter Orion City again since the Battle Tower is there. It's blocked off by Team Universe grunts. Blue arrives along with your best friends/pseudo-rival and rival. They attempt to have a battle, but the grunts wish to fight without Pokemon. Either way, you're supposed to win. You enter the city to see that Team Universe took over. You enter the Battle Tower and fight grunts on your way up to the top where Team Universe and the brainwashed Pokedex holders finish the Multiverse device. There is an Earthquake and a flash of light, and wouldn't you know? Ash Ketchum from the anime universe pops up. With that, Blue battles Red, the rival battles Leaf, the pseudo-rival battles Yellow, Ash battles the second-in-command, and you battle the boss. After that, you enter another battle with the boss, but without Pokemon. You punch him into the device, destroying it. Now, the day is saved! But, Ash, Pikachu, and his Pokemon are stuck in your universe now. You'll figure out how to get them back another time.

Anyway, after resting your Pokemon up, you finally, and formally, battle through Battle Tower. You beat the Elite Four and face your rival/champion. Then after entering the Hall of Fame, you say your goodbyes to the Pokedex holders while Ash settles in West Orion. And the game ends. The End.

Characters
Spoiler:

Takeru
Referred to as "Take-chan" by his friends, he is the male hero. 16 years old. He becomes the pseudo-rival if you choose the female heroine. He is very out there if you don't choose him. He's a bit dense, but is smart when he needs to interject it. He's very gullible and makes strange statements that eventually branches off into his own logic. If any. He represents the fact that Pokemon originated in Japan.

Purple
She is the female hero. Also 16 years old. She's the pseudo-rival if you choose Takeru. She's very snarky. She's always the one with smartass comments. She is second smartest. She's the one who usually keeps the other two in their place. So, she's the mediator. Her name represents the fact that early on, the protagonists were named after colours.

Matthew
Nicknamed "Matt" by his friends. He is hotheaded, comically serious, and the rival. Or, so he thinks. He just says you're his rival, but in actuality, he does nothing that would qualify him as a rival. Jerk with a heart of gold, yep. He's the smartest of the three, and he is strategic. Somehow. Anyway, his name represents the fact that Pokemon is very popular in the US, Europe, etc.

Team(So far)
Spoiler:

Roboblob: Storyliner, character design, city design, sprite design, music chooser.

I just need more spriters, mappers, beta testers, and Pokemon Essentials 11. I'll get around to downloading it eventually. School is busying me for now.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Nathan
too lazy
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
.I think this idea has a lot of potential in it. If you develop it well, it could end up in a great game. I have one question though : How will the battles without pokemon be?
And i saw you needed beta tester, so count me in! And if you need help on the story, i'm your man. Anyway, good luck with this.

nathan @ vm | pm | FF.net | pairs | bishie
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Dradier234

Nature: Careful
I might have time to make some maps for you... Might... Your story does has potential.. But.. What do you know about RMXP and Essentials? Is designing and plot all you can do?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Roboblob
High-Tech Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradier234 View Post
I might have time to make some maps for you... Might... Your story does has potential.. But.. What do you know about RMXP and Essentials? Is designing and plot all you can do?
So far, yes. I do what I can. I'm learning how to utilize the battle system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNathan View Post
.I think this idea has a lot of potential in it. If you develop it well, it could end up in a great game. I have one question though : How will the battles without pokemon be?
And i saw you needed beta tester, so count me in! And if you need help on the story, i'm your man. Anyway, good luck with this.
It's the backview of the player character and the battle sprite for the other guy. You have commands for fighting. Namely, PUNCH, KICK, TACKLE, and SHOVE.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Nathan
too lazy
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboblob View Post
It's the backview of the player character and the battle sprite for the other guy. You have commands for fighting. Namely, PUNCH, KICK, TACKLE, and SHOVE.
Okay i understand. It's basically the same system as the pokemon fights. I wish you good luck with this.

nathan @ vm | pm | FF.net | pairs | bishie
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Ayutac
Developer who wants your help

Quote:
So, it's basically this. It starts out like any other Pokemon game. You choose to be either a boy or a girl, gender you don't pick becomes your pseudo-rival, some other person becomes your rival, you get 8 badges to enter the League, and you have to defeat an evil team whose plot relevancy will overshadow the standard gym badges=Elite Four plot.
I like how you emphasize that this idea is nothing special so far :D

Quote:
He/she is reading a news article about this region's evil team, Team Universe. It says that Universe is building a device that can enable them to travel the Pokemon multiverse.
I'm confused, is Team Universe offically showing off their device and only we (as readers of your post) know they are evil or does everybody in the game knows that so obviously some insider information went out of the team. If so, are they pursuading the mole?

Quote:
The hero/ine wishes that they could do something to stop it.
Why is multiversal travel bad again?
Quote:
Ash Ketchum from the anime universe pops up.
Nevermind, this IS bad!
Quote:
Ash battles the second-in-command
Gary was there, Ash is a looser!

Quote:
you battle the boss
Why? Is the protagonist a Pokedex holder? Does he have a stronger bond to the boss than Red (somewhat similiar to Emerald and Jirachi, though the situation was completely different). Is it some inconvinience that the protagonist lands there? Because I can hardly imaging Red letting a rookie go against the evil boss, at least not alone.

Quote:
You punch him into the device, destroying it.
Is the boss a wimp or is the protagonist working out in secret? To punch someone into a certain direction is no easy thing to do.

Quote:
But, Ash, Pikachu, and his Pokemon are stuck in your universe now.
WHYYYYYY? For the sake of Anime inconsistence, does that mean he doesn't age there either? Will other people notice this? Will he be examined? :D

Quote:
and face your rival/champion
No, wait! Rival was defeating Leaf earlier so he can't be faster than protagonist in climbing the tower after everything is fine again.

I think the idea is extendable. And personally, I don't like Ash. Also, how is Orion connected to the other regions?

Enough critics for today, time to continue learning...
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Roboblob
High-Tech Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayutac View Post
I like how you emphasize that this idea is nothing special so far :D
I like the RPG feeling plot better than the main plot.

Quote:
I'm confused, is Team Universe offically showing off their device and only we (as readers of your post) know they are evil or does everybody in the game knows that so obviously some insider information went out of the team. If so, are they pursuading the mole?
News bloggers are dedicated to their jobs. Let's just say that one guy went under cover to uncover this info.

Quote:
Why is multiversal travel bad again?
Nevermind, this IS bad!
Gary was there, Ash is a looser!
I firmly believe that multiuniversal travel unbalances the whole multiverse itself. Worlds will be destroyed. Or permanently changed.

Quote:
Why? Is the protagonist a Pokedex holder? Does he have a stronger bond to the boss than Red (somewhat similiar to Emerald and Jirachi, though the situation was completely different). Is it some inconvinience that the protagonist lands there? Because I can hardly imaging Red letting a rookie go against the evil boss, at least not alone.
Remember, Blue is still battling Red at this point. All those battles take place simultaneously. Besides, you usually have to battle the boss in the games anyway.

Quote:
Is the boss a wimp or is the protagonist working out in secret? To punch someone into a certain direction is no easy thing to do.
Theme Music Power-Up. Well, Battle Music Power-Up. That, and I vision the leader as a fairly thin guy.

Quote:
WHYYYYYY? For the sake of Anime inconsistence, does that mean he doesn't age there either? Will other people notice this? Will he be examined? :D
Depends on how long he's there.

Quote:
No, wait! Rival was defeating Leaf earlier so he can't be faster than protagonist in climbing the tower after everything is fine again.
Moving at the speed of the plot. That, and this takes place a few weeks after the Team Universe incident.

Quote:
I think the idea is extendable. And personally, I don't like Ash. Also, how is Orion connected to the other regions?
You don't like Ash? I never would've guessed. And, it's east of Unova.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Ayutac
Developer who wants your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboblob View Post
Remember, Blue is still battling Red at this point. All those battles take place simultaneously. Besides, you usually have to battle the boss in the games anyway.
Yeah, realized this later but forget to change my post accordingly. I knew you had the Boss battle in mind, I was just pointing out the Why. Like, did prota earned enough trust from Blue and so on (because they hardly meet according to your plot, just two, three times. (On the other side, this isn't really unusual for the games indeed.)) or was prota just there conveniently? I guess you'll go for trust and convenience together; I just wanted to explain the original intention of my question.

Looks good so far. Now it is amusing how rival regained his power faster and became champ already. "Hey Elite Four, you sure have recovered after 2 days? Let's battle!" :D

EDIT; I've just voted for original starters thinking by "original" you simply mean "no fake pokemon". It's simply my taste, because through some Fakemon look amazing, I just don't see the point, because there are enough Pokemon out already :P
Oh, and it's just that I can't take Ash seriously.

Last edited by Ayutac; February 4th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Roboblob
High-Tech Maniac

With other projects in the way, I think I might have to either shut this down, or just be only good for concept and let others do the work. Projects being school and writing. Mostly school.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here