• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey guys,
Can someone help me make a team around Heracross and Suicune for the OU tier, they are two of my favorite Wi-Fi Pokemon but it's hard to build a solid team around them considering im kinda new to all this, so any help would be amazing :)
It might be a better idea to provide full sets for Suicune and Heracross so that we can give you more options on which Pokemon to work with.
I cant seem to beat anyone online with my team no matter who I use. Can someone tell if there is something wrong with my team. This is a combo of Plat, heartgold, and White

Garchomp lv 95
Feraligator lv 100
Espeon 53
Raichu 91
Tyranitar 76
Jolteon 90
Blastoise 96
Haxorus 83
Infernape 93

Obviously these levels get dropped down to 50 online, but why I cant see I cant beat these people online. I know speed is an issue with this team. What other issues can people see based on this?

Would you mind giving full sets and EVs for those Pokemon? It might be easier to identify any weaknesses this way.

DarkPhillip

Shiny Breeder
Years
EV Training, Evolution and Leveling

Alright, so this is a question I ran into when I first began EV training Pokemon. My usual method was:
1) Breed for Nature
2) Hatch (duh)
3) EV train the stats as I needed, giving no thoughts to leveling/evolving
4) Once I had maxed out the EV's, I need to level up my Pokemon quickly to get them up to lvl 50. I basically ran through the E4 with a couple lvl 100 event Pokemon using an Exp. Share on the Pokemon I needed to level up.

Now, since Pokemon level up faster when they are unevolved, and I needed speed, I stopped them from evolving as soon as they could (getting ready for a tournament and got crunched for time), so they'd grow levels fast, but then unevolved Pokemon also gain stats slower. So the dilemma was level quickly, then evolve, or evolve and level slower.

I guess my question is if, after delaying evolution, the stat boosts that come with the evolution balance out with what I would have had, if I had evolved as soon as I could. Hopefully that makes sense.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
It doesn't matter. Your pokemons stats will be what it's suppose to be at its final evolution. The difference is moves learned. Just make sure you evolve them before level 100 :)

DarkPhillip

Shiny Breeder
Years
Well, I was thinking this in regards to Pokemon under lvl 100. For example, this tournament is using Pokemon at lvl 50, so obviously, all the EV boosts won't have come into play yet.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
Is it possible to re-EV a pokemon at level 100?

I'm wondering if there is any way to re-EV a pokemon at level 100, and still have it be able to be used in competitive wifi battles.

If it is possible, can someone help me with that? thanks.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
A new mechanic in the fifth generation causes EVs to be calculated at the end of the battle, rather than upon level up. So it it possible to EV train a level 100 Pokémon.

However, if you mean it already has EVs, the only way to remove them is through the use of 6 berries, which at the moment are still unreleased in the Dream World.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
The pokemon is in 4th generation, and was leveled up using rare candies. So I don't think it has any EV's. So am I just gonna have to get a new one and start over?

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
If it's level 100, I believe it is impossible to add anymore. I think I heard about some trick using your PC to add four at a time, but I'm not too familiar with it.

You'd have to start over.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What does that stand for? I think its offensive Unit but not sure

Nope, it means OverUsed. That's a tier which involves the Pokemon that are usually much stronger than the ones in NU etc, but not overpowered (since those are in ubers). Those in OU can be found here.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
The pokemon is in 4th generation, and was leveled up using rare candies. So I don't think it has any EV's. So am I just gonna have to get a new one and start over?

If you transferred this 4th Gen Pokemon to 5th Gen, you can EV Train it still by using Medicine and Feathers then deposit it and withdraw. I'm not however sure if you can EV Train by killing a Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you transferred this 4th Gen Pokemon to 5th Gen, you can EV Train it still by using Medicine and Feathers then deposit it and withdraw. I'm not however sure if you can EV Train by killing a Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure that you can EV train a level 100 Pokemon by battling with wild Pokemon. They still give out EVs, don't they?

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2012
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with the last addition to my mostly mono-ice hail and trick room team for NU. My lead is Snover, Beheeyem for trick room and fighting type counter, Beartic for life orb attacker, Walrein for my wall (thick fat turns it into a reliable special wall as well), Armaldo for rapid spin and stealth rock support, and the last slot is what I'm stuck on. I don't know whether to use Lapras for curse, thunderbolt, blizzard, and Zenheadbutt, a Choice Banded Delibird to take advantage of Ariel ace and the hustle ability, or a Glaceon with choice specs and hidden power electric to cover water types. Remember, this is a combination of Hailstorm and Trick Room, so all of these Pokemon will be as slow as possible. As of now I'm leaning towards Delibird because with its STAB, +50% damage boost, a x2 attack bringing it to over 450, Ariel ace's base power climes to over 100, and Ariel ace never missing, it sounds like it might be fun to use and catch a lot of people off guard.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
If I switch in espeon while a whimsicott uses encore, thanks to magic bounce does he end up encoring himself into using encore? Cuz that would be awesome =p

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If I switch in espeon while a whimsicott uses encore, thanks to magic bounce does he end up encoring himself into using encore? Cuz that would be awesome =p

Yes. Magic Bounce reflects most, if not all, status moves back at the opponent. In Encore's case, if it reflects back at the user, it fails.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
Yes. Magic Bounce reflects most, if not all, status moves back at the opponent. In Encore's case, if it reflects back at the user, it fails.

Aww, alright. What sucks about that is Espeon could be in for some hurt if he uses u-turn. If he got encored into using encore, Espeon could set up screens and get out before he could do so.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
Please help. 10 questions! Is Blissey generally a useable Pokemon?

1. Is Blissey a good Pokemon to use in OU?

2. Is she a good user of Counter?

3. Isn't Defense Curl,Softboiled,Seismic Toss and Refresh a good idea on her? I mean she can fix her low Def issue and Refresh is to heal status without needing to switch.

Those following aren't questions concerning competitive battling but well, let me ask them since I have already opened up the topic :) Thank you good mods.

4. Is she difficult to find in Safari Zone and capture?

5. Did you know that she can take physical hits just like Aipom and Mr.Mime, a bit worse(almost exactly the same though) than Raichu,Roserade and even better than Alakazam?

6. Wouldn't Blissey be a great Pokemon id they gave her at least 30 base Def?

7. Why does she have such low Def ? I am not talking about the game as everything is about balance. A pink monster with vast HP and both defenses looking up the sky would be overpowered. I am talking about real life. Say she existed. What would make her have such little Def yet so much HP?

8. Wouldn't you yet prefer Blissey with these stats:
255 HP
10 Att
30 Def
10 Sp.Att
10 Sp
I would really prefer that. Blissey would be much more sturdy physically and besides her speed and sp.att are already useless.

9. Is Blissey good in-game apart from healing Pokemon outside of battle?
Does Alomomola do the same thing outside of battle(healing teammates)?

10. Why does Blissey's TGC card claim only 120-130 HP while Wailord's 200? Blissey has the highest HP. Also, Drifblim and Wigglytuff's cards claim a bigger HP than Alomomola's while Alomomola has more HP than them. I mean, in the games Blissey has the most HP yet in the card games she has way less than wailord,alomomola,wigglytuff etc

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
1. Is Blissey a good Pokemon to use in OU?

Yes, she is the best special wall in the game.

2. Is she a good user of Counter?

Kind of, but Eviolite Chansey does that better.

3. Isn't Defense Curl,Softboiled,Seismic Toss and Refresh a good idea on her? I mean she can fix her low Def issue and Refresh is to heal status without needing to switch.

Defense Curl sucks and doesnt help with what switches into Blissey see: Pokemon with Fighting moves which she should just switch out of anyway, she shouldnt try and take on physical threats she is a team supporter and special wall. Refresh doesnt help either thanks to Natural Cure, plus Aromatherapy/Heal Bell outclass it as the heal the whole team. Regardless Blissey DOES need max def evs to stop weak phys attacks from mashing her, plus her HP and titanic special defense let her wall special attackers with hardly any investment well enough regardless.

The best sets for Blissey are the following;

Blissey@Leftovers
148 HP / 252 Def / 108 Sp.Def
Calm Nature
Trait: Natural Cure
~ Wish
~ Protect / Softboiled
~ Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
~ Toxic

Pass massive Wishes to the rest of your team. Activate Wish for yourself and stall for Toxic damage with Protect. Attacking move is up to you. If you use Flamethrower, put about 80 sp.att evs taken from HP to KO Scizor on the switch, Flamethrower also nails the steels immune to Toxic. Btw her sp.att isnt useless, its actually quite usable.

Blissey@Leftovers
148 HP / 252 Def / 108 Sp.Def
Calm Nature
Trait: Natural Cure
~ Aromatherapy / Stealth Rock
~ Softboiled
~ Seismic Toss / Flamethrower / Ice Beam
~ Toxic / Thunderwave

Same thing here except this is a more support oriented set. Aroma heals the whole team of Status whilst Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock and arguable the best move in the game and causes residual damage. Thunderwave slows things down whilst Ice Beam is an option for Gliscor and dragons.

Those following aren't questions concerning competitive battling but well, let me ask them since I have already opened up the topic :) Thank you good mods.

4. Is she difficult to find in Safari Zone and capture?

Yes lol.

5. Did you know that she can take physical hits just like Aipom and Mr.Mime, a bit worse(almost exactly the same though) than Raichu,Roserade and even better than Alakazam?

Wrong, with max defense Evs she can take hits as a Max HP Spritiomb and Scizor.

Comments in bold. Yeahhhhh hope that helps.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
Good answer buddy! I didn't know she could take hits like Spiritomb! I would never imagine that actually as Spiritomb is considerably durable. Anyway, seems that she has potential.
But still, without any EVs she can take a physical brawl just like Aipom and Mr.Mime and better than Alakazam.

As for the moveset I suggested, it was actually for my 'fun' team. You know, in these teams you choose Pokemon you like and make some crazy movesets. Just to have fun,not to win. Your movesets,although common, are indeed the best for Blissey.

Won't you answer the rest of my questions stranger?!

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
6. Wouldn't Blissey be a great Pokemon id they gave her at least 30 base Def?

She'd be even better with base 50 def...or 70...or 160...or...

7. Why does she have such low Def ? I am not talking about the game as everything is about balance. A pink monster with vast HP and both defenses looking up the sky would be overpowered. I am talking about real life. Say she existed. What would make her have such little Def yet so much HP?

Her high HP makes sense as she's basically a nurse/healer pokemon. But she's a pink blob. I hardly see her as being able to take a physical hit. How well do you think your feather pillow would take a Salamence outrage? Or in a more realistic sense, how well do you think your friendly local nurse could withstand a swift punch to the face from Jackie Chan?

8. Wouldn't you yet prefer Blissey with these stats:
255 HP
10 Att
30 Def
10 Sp.Att
10 Sp
I would really prefer that. Blissey would be much more sturdy physically and besides her speed and sp.att are already useless.

Her special attack isn't actually useless when you consider that it's a healing and support poke primarily. If you give her ice beam, she could actually take out gliscor, who otherwise taunts and walls her thanks to protect and poison heal. Without ice beam he can even stall her out with toxic. As for speed, being able to outspeed at least SOME pokes means the difference between being able to switch in and then heal, and being able to switch in, get hit, and then get KOd on the next turn. Also consider that Blissey's signature move tends to be seismic toss; if she's up against e.g. slowbro, she can kill it before it manages to slack off and regain health.

9. Is Blissey good in-game apart from healing Pokemon outside of battle?
Does Alomomola do the same thing outside of battle(healing teammates)?

I've never, ever used her or Chansey in-game. In-game battling is so much different than competitive. Softboiled might be useful as it can heal your pokemon outside of battle. I have no idea about Alomomola.

10. Why does Blissey's TGC card claim only 120-130 HP while Wailord's 200? Blissey has the highest HP. Also, Drifblim and Wigglytuff's cards claim a bigger HP than Alomomola's while Alomomola has more HP than them. I mean, in the games Blissey has the most HP yet in the card games she has way less than wailord,alomomola,wigglytuff etc

Who knows? It's a trading card game. Why are bug type pokemon grass type cards? Why are ice type pokemon water type cards? Why are there attacks in the cards that don't exist in the game? Why can you evolve a pokemon while you're battling? Etc. It's a separate game, it doesn't need to follow all the rules of the video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back