• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
Then why are you here? I doubt you're 8. Or you're a troll, but I should probably look at your other posts first before saying that.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I found that in Middle School people started thinking they were too cool for it. Then, as you transition into high school more and more people get back into it.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
I had the problem all through high school. Me and my closest friend were pretty much the only two into it and we seldomly even said the word "Pokemon" in front of other students. That all changed in college. I now have about 4 or 5 friends who play with me, we've even discussed after class with other friends in our presence. College is where like-minded people dwell, forget high school.

Comet7

Star of the show
Years
Ugh, as other people said, you never get to old to do anything. Pokemon is a video game. Video games fall under the "entertainment" section. I think we all like our entertainment.

I get teased about this every few days, but I don't care. I find most people who tease you are ignorant pricks who aren't worth your time. Or your parents. I always ignore mine when they say that, and I find it irritating that they say WINNIE THE POOH IS COOL, BUT NOT POKEMON. >_< And there are always the people stuck with the mindset that Pokemon and/or Nintendo should always be a child exclusive thing.

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
Years
"too old" would be when you personally feel you have outgrew Pokémon.
It's mostly aimed at children but many of those children still love play and watch Pokémon now that they're older, myself included.
In high school I had a couple of friends that also played it. We didn't go around announcing it but didn't deny it either.
I went to buy my copy of
Pokémon Y with my sister who's 16 and she laughed and said I'm not a baby anymore, I simply replied, "True.. I've still gotta catch 'em all"

GastlyGibus

I'm battin' a thousand!
Years
I've noticed that there's this strange gap in terms of when Pokemon is "cool" or not.

In elementary/middle school, Pokemon is awesome!

Then comes high school, and suddenly Pokemon is "for babies" and "little kids." Probably not so cool then.

Finally, you go to college, and suddenly Pokemon is cool again! Yay!

I don't understand why exactly that happens. Perhaps during highschool, a place where hormones run rampant and kids are so uncomfortable expressing themselves, they can't admit they like it because it's not cool or something. Then, assuming they pursue college afterwords, they get more comfortable with who they are, and suddenly Pokemon is awesome again. o_O

I don't know if that's true, but I have noticed that Pokemon is definitely more widely accepted on my college campus than it was at my high school. I had a group of friends during high school that played Pokemon, but I've definitely seen a lot more Pokemon fans in college than during high school. Honestly, even though it is aimed at kids, I don't know if I will ever become "too old" for it. It's got a certain charm to it, and the complexity of the games makes it appeal to both young and old.

Years
I've noticed that there's this strange gap in terms of when Pokemon is "cool" or not.

In elementary/middle school, Pokemon is awesome!

Then comes high school, and suddenly Pokemon is "for babies" and "little kids." Probably not so cool then.

Finally, you go to college, and suddenly Pokemon is cool again! Yay!

I think this is quite true, at least it was for me. When Pokémon first arrived and I was about 12 years old, it was new, fresh and very "cool" all around school. Then you hit puberty and many people around you tried to pretend that they were all "grown up" (which is funny considering most if not all of those people were terrible immature in terms of personality, relationship to alcohol etc.). Finally, you enter your 20s (or late 20s) and suddenly people become both a bit nostalgic + they don't need to act like adults anymore because, mostly, only younger people must act adult - grown up people generally are adult. That is not to say that maturity and age necessarily go hand in hand (you can be very mature for a young age and act childish as a 30+ year old), however you generally feel more comfortable with yourself at an older age and don't need to pretend you are something you're not.

So, to retie it to Pokémon, I think it's natural that people at my age, born in the 80's or early 90's, are "mature" enough now to allow a bit of "childish" wonder and excitement in their lives. In other words, of course you can "grow out" of things like Pokémon, but I believe it has more to do with your personality and outlook on life than your actually age.

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
Actually where I live, only the nerds and smart students are into the pokemon. The people who look down on it are those typical "cool" people who never study and prefer to do "cool stuff" aka drop out of school.

For me I'd say there's no age limit for Pokemon.~ I've seen friends' parents get into the game, I've seen people follow it even into their mid 40s, heck maybe we'll see a Pokemon grandfather one day! XD

Honestly you can never get "too old" for something you love. As the saying goes, age is just a number.~ ^^

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
being an adult is about recognizing something is childish and enjoying it anyway

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
I am going on 20 years old. I have been playing pokemon since 1999. I will admit that in late middle school/early high school I took a short hiatus not only because of being picked on due to bringing my GBA SP/ Nintendo DS Lite to School to trade and battle a friend at lunch time daily but also due to myself thinking it became too cool and I was too old but I later abandoned that idea and around age 16 returned to the pokemon world. You are never too old for anything! As long as it makes you happy why should you quit it?

Smeargle

Illusory
Years
I am going on 20 years old. I have been playing pokemon since 1999. I will admit that in late middle school/early high school I took a short hiatus not only because of being picked on due to bringing my GBA SP/ Nintendo DS Lite to School to trade and battle a friend at lunch time daily but also due to myself thinking it became too cool and I was too old but I later abandoned that idea and around age 16 returned to the pokemon world. You are never too old for anything! As long as it makes you happy why should you quit it?

Oh, simply yet Beautifully said! I agree 110% who is to tell you your too old for something, If something makes you happy you shouldn't leave it behind because of what others might think. Its your life, don't let others tell you how to be you. Enjoy what you LOVE doing!​

myuchuruchuru

Super High School Level Whoa
Years
There's always that age/grade when pokemon is "for babies" When did it happen for you? For me, it happened in sixth grade, the grade I'm in now. I started talking about mega evolution, and the laughed so hard they were crying.

Actually, for me there is no 'too old'. I am in sixth grade //like you// and I liked pokemon ever since I'm 8. I was also constantly mocked for being a pokemon fan. In my situation, it was the time when I said about region-blah-blah-you-can-catch-somewhere-blah and then some of my classmates laughed and cussed me. It happened while I'm in fourth grade. Even so, I'm still a fan. DON'T BE SCARED FRIEND! FOR THERE IS NO TOO OLD FOR POKEMON GAMES!

//notes= don't let society change you//

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
as long as it makes you happy why should you quit it?

This. I've just turned 18 and still think the games are awesome. Admittedly I am a semi-closet fan and have to limit my Pokemon knowledge when the topic comes up with friends to avoid isolating myself :( but yeah, there's no way age is going to stop me playing now, the games make me happy, they were a huuuuge part of my childhood and can serve as an escape from the boring normal world.

Don't conform to society people, there's too many sheep in the world as it is.

Aello

Pokemon Breeder
Years
You're never "too old". I'm 23, and I not only play Pokemon but still enjoy Disney movies and other "kid stuff". I go to theatres to see movies like Megamind and 9 and I don't even have a kid yet!

There are many adults who still play Pokemon. Besides, look at all the complex math involved. There's definitely a layer to the game that allows for a more mature audience to keep enjoying it through the years.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
I have to admit that i'm 22 and i still play pokemon and sometimes watch the old anime of it as well.

Also my cousin is 21 and loves pokemon himself, But i have seen older. I've actually got a friend of mine thats in her early 30s and still plays and watches pokemon as well.

But if you want to see a lot of pokemon fans, go to an anime con, there are heaps.

Years
You can never be too old for anything. I've known about Pokemon ever since I was young, but never got into the games until recently and I'm 20 :P Sure, people will probably judge you and question whether your maturity, but you can't help what keeps you happy and entertained.

Years
I've been playing since I was a little kid. I'm 21 now and love the games more than anything. I was so excited when I was able to get myself a 3DS for Christmas to continue with the series.

Forget social stigma. This game has a lot of meaningful personal importance for a lot of us.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
People told me I was too old to play Pokèmon when I was 14. I'm 19 now, look at me now.
In all seriousness, you should like something for as long as you want, it doesn't really matter about how your friends perceive you as being.

Back