• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2019
I have a small and hopefully simple but very important issue I need to fix (:bitelip:).
I mistakenly misinserted some edited item sprites, and so as aresult the data is not something7z or whatever compressed (It had an 'l' in it somewhere). My hack is pretty far along in terms of alk the sprite edits and I don't want it to end here.
So, in order to be able to open my bag, how should I go about returning the original items to their places and return the data to its correct compression?
-silly me, inserting something unrepointed-
Help...
:<
:worries:

EDIT: It was the Master Ball and Ultra Ball I tried to replace, both on the same Emerald file.

EDIT2: And I have to say I absolutely love NSE, Classic and 2.X! It's a reliable and powerful tool (unless you do idiotic things like me (^^;; ) and provides a simple way for me to insert Trainer and OW sprites with ease! Thankyou so much for creating this!

EDIT3: And now it says BPEE is unsupported in NSE 2.0 and doesn't open Item Plugin at all... It didn't say this before, will this mean I'll have to restart the hack?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3gd4io7w6g5mtb4 This is the .ips, if anyone cares enough to have a look. Sorry for the inconvenience :I.

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
I have a small and hopefully simple but very important issue I need to fix (:bitelip:).
I mistakenly misinserted some edited item sprites, and so as aresult the data is not something7z or whatever compressed (It had an 'l' in it somewhere). My hack is pretty far along in terms of alk the sprite edits and I don't want it to end here.
So, in order to be able to open my bag, how should I go about returning the original items to their places and return the data to its correct compression?
-silly me, inserting something unrepointed-
Help...
:<
:worries:

EDIT: It was the Master Ball and Ultra Ball I tried to replace, both on the same Emerald file.

EDIT2: And I have to say I absolutely love NSE, Classic and 2.X! It's a reliable and powerful tool (unless you do idiotic things like me (^^;; ) and provides a simple way for me to insert Trainer and OW sprites with ease! Thankyou so much for creating this!

EDIT3: And now it says BPEE is unsupported in NSE 2.0 and doesn't open Item Plugin at all... It didn't say this before, will this mean I'll have to restart the hack?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3gd4io7w6g5mtb4 This is the .ips, if anyone cares enough to have a look. Sorry for the inconvenience :I.

It sounds like this might be a problem with the plug-in.
It could be that it was written for an earlier version of the NSE Framework and that it may not be setting something properly, I didn't make it so don't as me.
I can't tell you why it says it's not supported, but I did fix some nasty items I saw, hopefully this will fix it.
I'll attach an ips (note: use an unmodified Emerald ROM)
It may have something to do with the NSE 2.X save dialog, I'll have to give it a good looking over, and I might just make my own Item plugin, it shouldn't be too hard.

Oh well, sorry for any trouble this may have caused. Also!!!!!
If you used NSE 2.X it might have Logged any changes you may not have wanted to make.
In the NSE 2.X folder, here is a folder "core" and in this "logs"
See if there is a text file with the same name as your ROM, an if so check it for past activity.

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2019
THANKYOU SO MUCH
I'm used to fussy tools, but my computer also enjoys refusing operations and the like: I checekd my log but there was nothing there. Well, so long as the Bag will open, it's no problem. Thank you SO much, this saves me hours of solid work (I saved the backup at the wrong time).

Last edited:

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Thanks a lot for this, link! This is really useful and easy to use.. but all I have is an older version, because I'm unable to download from the links given on the OP. If it wouldn't bother you (or someone else), could you post a download link to a mirror for the latest version? Thanks!

link12552

decade club
Years
Thanks a lot for this, link! This is really useful and easy to use.. but all I have is an older version, because I'm unable to download from the links given on the OP. If it wouldn't bother you (or someone else), could you post a download link to a mirror for the latest version? Thanks!

Strange... As long as your using my new site (http://www.lastlink.tk) it should work.

Are you getting this page, or are you getting sent to my older site (the one that's a cz.cc address)

Anyways...
I'll attach the current version of NSE to this post.

Last edited:

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Nah, my router's bad and sometimes it doesn't connect to certain sites. It works now though lol.

Thanks a lot!

link12552

decade club
Years
Small UPDATE
beta 1.9a (the "a" is there because it's a small update)

Several important bug-fixes were addressed in this release:
  • The cursor is now "inverted" so you can see what you're doing
  • The insert compressed palette button works now
  • There's no more scroll error when resizing the brush
  • The "Load ROM" button shouldn't suddenly become unresponsive
  • The Sprite constructor now works properly with offsets to compressed data
Plus there are a few bonuses!
Speed increases (small, but they are there)
NSE will make sure you're saving compatible data (ex. shiny quagsire's item plug-in is bugged, NSE will notice the mess that happens when you try to save)
As mentioned above, the dynamic cursor's are now inverted, so they won't "vanish"
The NSE_Framework also got a few treats added.
You can also now use the bracket keys "[" and "]" to re-size the brush.

It should be known that there is a problem with shiny quagsire's item plug-in.
It's saving the sprites as uncompressed data, when they should be compressed.
I've contacted him about the problem, and NSE now checks for such problems, among others, when you save.

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2019
I'm very sorry to bump this, but I felt I should comment on the new release.
The Item Editor notification is very useful, as that bug was what got me stuck two months ago lD. I'm also incredibly fond of the brush resizing~~

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2012
Thanks for this awesome tool, I only got one improvement: What about a function to export all frames/sprites of the entire rom as bmp's? There's already this function for the nslx format.

link12552

decade club
Years
I'm very sorry to bump this, but I felt I should comment on the new release.
The Item Editor notification is very useful, as that bug was what got me stuck two months ago lD. I'm also incredibly fond of the brush resizing~~

Thank you, I need to keep this thread alive so any comment is good :)

Thanks for this awesome tool, I only got one improvement: What about a function to export all frames/sprites of the entire rom as bmp's? There's already this function for the nslx format.

This would make a TON of garbage (images that aren't really images), and it would only work for the Lz77 compressed sprites.

Anyways let me at least say some stuff about the update.

Update: v Beta 2.0.1 pt1

New features:
  • MUCH more memory effecient
  • Slightly larger navigate window
  • Use of the new uDrawData command in all controls
  • Extended PictureBox to support better edditing
  • Some bug fixes

Okay previously I was doing some not-to-efficient code to draw images. It would work fine when the scale was 1, but after that, the size would grow exponentially with scale.
Now the uDrawData command uses pointers to locate the data in memory, increasing speed and performance. (C# has pointers! yippee)

All sprites, internally, are drawn in scale 1, now, as well. (the original draw commands are still intact, providing backwards compatibility)

The new control ExtenededPictureBox, takes the scale 1 images, and draws them to the proper scale, without increasing the memory footprint, it also has a settable interpolation mode.

There is also code in place for the future implementation of a "Selection" tool. The code is there, but isn't visible, because well, it's not done yet...
Not to mention some of tehe other hidden Framework features, like int Read.ReadPointer(int Offset)...

I just feel obliged to offer some sort of update after this long time, been over a month.

- For any of you that are interested, I've been working on an Xbox 360 indie game for the past 2 months, that is coming along quite nicely now :)

Anyways, I'm also going to attach a "trainer Sprite" plugin with source! to this post, as I feel it is important to keep this thread alive.
The plugin is a direct port of the NSE classic code, but is slightly more refined. (Supports all English roms)

So go play with the code, and try to make something super awesome, I've done almost all the hard work for you, lol

-I've also attached a prebuilt version of the plug-in for those of you not interested in the source

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Update: v Beta 2.0.1 pt1

New features:
  • MUCH more memory effecient
  • Slightly larger navigate window
  • Use of the new uDrawData command in all controls
  • Extended PictureBox to support better edditing
  • Some bug fixes

Okay previously I was doing some not-to-efficient code to draw images. It would work fine when the scale was 1, but after that, the size would grow exponentially with scale.
Now the uDrawData command uses pointers to locate the data in memory, increasing speed and performance. (C# has pointers! yippee)

All sprites, internally, are drawn in scale 1, now, as well. (the original draw commands are still intact, providing backwards compatibility)

The new control ExtenededPictureBox, takes the scale 1 images, and draws them to the proper scale, without increasing the memory footprint, it also has a settable interpolation mode.

There is also code in place for the future implementation of a "Selection" tool. The code is there, but isn't visible, because well, it's not done yet...
Not to mention some of tehe other hidden Framework features, like int Read.ReadPointer(int Offset)...

I just feel obliged to offer some sort of update after this long time, been over a month.

- For any of you that are interested, I've been working on an Xbox 360 indie game for the past 2 months, that is coming along quite nicely now :)

Anyways, I'm also going to attach a "trainer Sprite" plugin with source! to this post, as I feel it is important to keep this thread alive.
The plugin is a direct port of the NSE classic code, but is slightly more refined. (Supports all English roms)

So go play with the code, and try to make something super awesome, I've done almost all the hard work for you, lol

-I've also attached a prebuilt version of the plug-in for those of you not interested in the source
Glad to see you got the Trainer Plug-in at this release. This is going far Link. If I may I have a list of features you may add in the future that we already suggested and other's discussed.
  • OW Editing (Obviously)
  • Support for future 649 Patches
  • TileSet Editing
  • TileMap Editing
  • Had some other things on mind but can't remember...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
I like the new look of this fabulous tool which is more used to edit my graphics :), I am just downloading this new version thank you very much.

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2016
The Nse is a good hack tool, but by me is it with the color is color negativ and the lines are not on the right position .But is a good tool .

And by the most is it not discernible.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey everyone, I have just created a new plugin for you all!

It is a ...

Pokemon Icon Editor

Yes, that's right, I have made an Icon Editor plugin for NSE.

Just download it from the attachments!

(It only supports English FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby and Emerald right now)

Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2013
I am frequently getting a "NSE/CORE/LOG/MYROM.txt" is being used by another process message when trying to save palletes or sprites. I don't know if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong as I am really new to this. I also sometimes get a "Your color has been something something (can't remember right now) please tell link12552" error message.

I basically want to replace the FR pokemon sprites with the foreign moemon sprites, but I can't find a tutorial that explains it well in NSE 2. If anyone has an idea as to how to do this I'm open to suggestions.

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
Hey everyone especially you link12552 I want to know how to edit red, green, and professor oak in the pokemon firered intro. I know you have to use ape, but unlz doesnt really help. Do you have any ideas?

link12552

decade club
Years
I am frequently getting a "NSE/CORE/LOG/MYROM.txt" is being used by another process message when trying to save palletes or sprites. I don't know if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong as I am really new to this. I also sometimes get a "Your color has been something something (can't remember right now) please tell link12552" error message.

I basically want to replace the FR pokemon sprites with the foreign moemon sprites, but I can't find a tutorial that explains it well in NSE 2. If anyone has an idea as to how to do this I'm open to suggestions.
hmm... Are you getting the first message with multiple instances of NSE open?

And do you know what the rest of that message said, the one that said to tell me :P. It's probably important if NSE thinks you have to contact me about it.

Edit: looking through the source, that error means that the plugin you were using didn't modify the "colors" component of the select color control properly.
What plugin were you using?
I think you may be trying to open two roms in NSE at the same time. If you want to transfer sprites from one game to another, open up two instances of NSE, and export sprite libraries from one, and import them into the other.

Do you have any of the other core features of NSE disabled? i.e. Safety Re-pointing

Hey everyone, I have just created a new plugin for you all!

It is a ...

Pokemon Icon Editor

Yes, that's right, I have made an Icon Editor plugin for NSE.

Just download it from the attachments!

(It only supports English FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby and Emerald right now)

Please try it out and let me know what you think!

AWESOME! I love to see people using the plugin framework I made, makes me feel all warm inside! It takes a little bit of time to load though, still cool :)

Edit: In your opinion, how hard was making a plugin using the provided libraries?

Hey everyone especially you link12552 I want to know how to edit red, green, and professor oak in the pokemon firered intro. I know you have to use ape, but unlz doesnt really help. Do you have any ideas?

Well, you don't have to be so rude. There are some bookmarks in the default bookmark file. BPRE > Sprites > Intro
You can import the palette file from VBA, export it as a .act, this will make editing the sprites in NSE practical.

Note: VBA exports ACT files with a .pal ending, change the ending to .act

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2013
I had two instances running, but they were opened to two different roms so I don't understand how they would use the same .txt log file. From looking at the log folder it seems the .txts are generated from the base rom name and they were named differently. Also, I was using the pokemon sprite editor plugin. I might be doing something wrong when changing the palettes.

Whenever I get the first error I usually just keep clicking continue and save until it doesn't give me that error anymore. Something on my computer might be causing slowdown. :<

edit: Just tried it with only one instance running and it gives the same Used by another process error. I'm going to try it on a virtual machine to see if it's my computer.

edit 2: Ran it on VM with windows XP and I still get the same error. How long does it take for the program to get done using the rom log file?

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
I had two instances running, but they were opened to two different roms so I don't understand how they would use the same .txt log file. From looking at the log folder it seems the .txts are generated from the base rom name and they were named differently. Also, I was using the pokemon sprite editor plugin. I might be doing something wrong when changing the palettes.

Whenever I get the first error I usually just keep clicking continue and save until it doesn't give me that error anymore. Something on my computer might be causing slowdown. :<

edit: Just tried it with only one instance running and it gives the same Used by another process error. I'm going to try it on a virtual machine to see if it's my computer.

edit 2: Ran it on VM with windows XP and I still get the same error. How long does it take for the program to get done using the rom log file?

OK, I rewrote how log files are handled in NSE. Just download the newest version Beta 2.0.2, If you haven't used NSE today, it should say there is an update.

Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2013
The download on your site is still 2.0.1 I believe. Or else I am clicking the wrong button. Which I wouldn't put past me xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back