• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My new competitive team

Years
Well the final member came way faster than i though! I did some reaserch and did some homework and really lime this new team set up. With out further ado!:

Slowking- McArthur
252 health/200 sp defense/56 sp attack
Calm
Regenerator
@leftovers
-
trick room
Nasty plot
Flamethrower
Scald

Honchkrow-Don tony
4 health/ 252 attack/ 252 speed
Adament
Prankster
@life orb
-
Drill peck
Night shade
Foul play
Thunderwave
Armaldo-hilts
252 attack/ 252 defense/ 4 sp defense
Adament nature
Battle armor
@expert belt
-
Rock blast
X-scissor
Earthquake
Sword dance

Ferrothorn-????(any help with a name)
252 hp/ 58 defense/ 200 special sp defense
Sassy nature
Iron barb
@Rocky helmet/left overs
-
Stealth rock
Leech seed
Thunder wave
Power whip

Blaziken-BD jackson
4 hp/ 252 attack/ 252 speed
Jolly nature
Speed boost
@leftovers
-
Flare blitz
Hi jump kick
Sword dance
Stone edge

Haxorus- Jack ripper
4hp/ 252 attack /252 spees
Rivalry
Naughty nature
@life orb
-
Dragon dance
Dragon claw
Earthquake
Night slash

So how i do this time?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
First off, Honchkrow has no moves. Secondly, name Ferrothorn Kleetz. ;D

Now, for Haxorus, I'd ditch Earthquake for Dual Chop to thwart Substitute abusers.

For Honchkrow I'd recommend this, as it cannot get Prankster:

Honchkrow @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Adamant

Night Slash
Brave Bird
Pursuit
Swagger

Or;

@Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Nature Adamant

Night Slash
Thunder Wave
Roost
Sucker Punch

Also, I do believe that Ferrothorn would be better off with Gyro Ball, rather than Power Whip. It's more reliable all-together.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Years
Alright, well Slowking should probably be discarded for Slowbro, since this is a physically oriented metagame, and Calm Mind works very well as a special sweeper but if you want to use a Trick Room sweeper, then use Reuniclus instead.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
Trait: Magic Guard
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Trick Room

Slowbro @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Slack Off
-Scald
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock

It's up to you, really, I'd go with Slowbro, since it can also handle some strong Physical Threats. Psyshock can be used for Blissey, Chansey and Snorlax, while still working as strong STAB.

You didn't give your Honchkrow any moves, but you should probably switch it out for Tyranitar, not only for weather control, but also so that you can run Excadrill over Armaldo. You seem to be using Armaldo in the exact same way Excadril is used, but Excadrill is much faster [under Sandstorm] and more powerful.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
252 HP/176 Attack/80 Defense
Brave Nature
Trait: Sand Stream
-Fire Blast/Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Pursuit/Crunch

Fire Blast is basically for Ferrothorn and Scizor, but Superpower can provide an alternative that also hurts Ferrothorn, as well as Pokemon like Heatran. Stone Edge is there for strong STAB, Stealth Rock is obviously needed to hurt the opponent's switch ins and Pursuit can be used for trapping, but Crunch can also go there, to not only provide STAB, but bluff pursuit.

For Excadrill, use this set:

Excadrill @ Life Orb
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Adamant Nature
Trait: Sand Rush
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor/Return

Return is great for hurting things like Gliscor, Flying/Levitating Dragons and the like when you're at +2, but X-Scissor provides valuable coverage against Pokemon like Celebi, Reuniclus and Azelf, so it's really up to you, with the last slot. Rapid Spin is also on option, but you'd probably want to use an Air Balloon as your item if you chose to use Rapid Spin. Rock Slide and Earthquake provide great type coverage, although don't overestimate Rock Slide, it's a little on the weak side and should only be used on weakened foes and those it hits supereffectively.

Alright, well Ferrothorn is a great Pokemon, but now that you have Stealth Rock on Tyranitar, it could use a bit of a tune-up.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
Trait: Iron Barbs
-Spikes [these can really help your offensive Pokemon sweep]
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is pretty standard-issue stuff. Switch in on things like Bronzong, that can't do anything to you and Spike, send in on a sweeper that has taken down one of your Pokemon to tank their hit and revenge kill them with your appropriate move. Just be sure to keep it away from any Pokemon that may carry Fire or Fighting attacks, remember any Pokemon can use Hidden Power, though, knowing the common abusers of Hidden Power Fire is essential to understanding this set and using it to the best of your ability. Celebi almost always has HP Fire, Tyranitar usually caries Fire Blast or Superpower, Rotom-W and Starmie also carry Hidden Power fire at times, as well, so be sure to scout to see if the last 3 carry a fire move.

Speed Boost Blaziken is banned, you should try Mixed Infernape instead:

Infernape @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Trait: Blaze
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stone Edge / Mach Punch

Overheat and Close Combat provide great STABs, one physical and the other special, while Hidden Power Ice hurts things like Gliscor and Latias, Stone Edge can be used in the last slot to dent Gyarados or Mach Punch can, for powerful priority.

Finally, everything on Haxorus looks good, just use Brick Break over Night Slash and use a Jolly Nature over a Naughty one.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I've got two cents to add for Honchkrow. But, I have to admit, there are better Pokemon out there then his guy. No matter how much of a boss Honchkrow is. Tyranitar will give valuable weather control and offer entry hazard support, so Karpman's option is superior to Honchkrow in almost all ways. However, if you must use Honchkrow, I'd recommend this:

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Insomnia / Super Luck
252 Attack / 4 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Naughty [+Attack; -Special Defense]
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Brave Bird

This is like, all out power Mixed LOHonchkrow. And there's really not much else to say about it. STAB Brave Bird wrecks anything that doesn't resist it. Superpower and Heat Wave hits Steel types that laugh at its STABs. Sucker Punch, not only give you excellent coverage because of it typing, but also gives Honchkrow some STAB priority. EVs are put into Attack and Speed, with the remainder in Special Attack. The Naughty nature guarantees that nothing else will be taken from Honchkrow's Special Attack either.

But, Scrafty, Hydreigon, Tyranitar.. any of these Dark Pokemon offer more than Honchkrow in one way or another. I highly suggest you consider some of these before moving forward with Honchkrow at all. If you want a suggestion on any set, just ask! :>

Yeah, Speed Boost Blaziken is banned. :[ Sorry.

Years
Alright, well Slowking should probably be discarded for Slowbro, since this is a physically oriented metagame, and Calm Mind works very well as a special sweeper but if you want to use a Trick Room sweeper, then use Reuniclus instead.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
Trait: Magic Guard
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Trick Room

Slowbro @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Slack Off
-Scald
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock

It's up to you, really, I'd go with Slowbro, since it can also handle some strong Physical Threats. Psyshock can be used for Blissey, Chansey and Snorlax, while still working as strong STAB.

You didn't give your Honchkrow any moves, but you should probably switch it out for Tyranitar, not only for weather control, but also so that you can run Excadrill over Armaldo. You seem to be using Armaldo in the exact same way Excadril is used, but Excadrill is much faster [under Sandstorm] and more powerful.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
252 HP/176 Attack/80 Defense
Brave Nature
Trait: Sand Stream
-Fire Blast/Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Pursuit/Crunch

Fire Blast is basically for Ferrothorn and Scizor, but Superpower can provide an alternative that also hurts Ferrothorn, as well as Pokemon like Heatran. Stone Edge is there for strong STAB, Stealth Rock is obviously needed to hurt the opponent's switch ins and Pursuit can be used for trapping, but Crunch can also go there, to not only provide STAB, but bluff pursuit.

For Excadrill, use this set:

Excadrill @ Life Orb
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Adamant Nature
Trait: Sand Rush
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor/Return

Return is great for hurting things like Gliscor, Flying/Levitating Dragons and the like when you're at +2, but X-Scissor provides valuable coverage against Pokemon like Celebi, Reuniclus and Azelf, so it's really up to you, with the last slot. Rapid Spin is also on option, but you'd probably want to use an Air Balloon as your item if you chose to use Rapid Spin. Rock Slide and Earthquake provide great type coverage, although don't overestimate Rock Slide, it's a little on the weak side and should only be used on weakened foes and those it hits supereffectively.

Alright, well Ferrothorn is a great Pokemon, but now that you have Stealth Rock on Tyranitar, it could use a bit of a tune-up.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
Trait: Iron Barbs
-Spikes [these can really help your offensive Pokemon sweep]
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is pretty standard-issue stuff. Switch in on things like Bronzong, that can't do anything to you and Spike, send in on a sweeper that has taken down one of your Pokemon to tank their hit and revenge kill them with your appropriate move. Just be sure to keep it away from any Pokemon that may carry Fire or Fighting attacks, remember any Pokemon can use Hidden Power, though, knowing the common abusers of Hidden Power Fire is essential to understanding this set and using it to the best of your ability. Celebi almost always has HP Fire, Tyranitar usually caries Fire Blast or Superpower, Rotom-W and Starmie also carry Hidden Power fire at times, as well, so be sure to scout to see if the last 3 carry a fire move.

Speed Boost Blaziken is banned, you should try Mixed Infernape instead:

Infernape @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Trait: Blaze
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stone Edge / Mach Punch

Overheat and Close Combat provide great STABs, one physical and the other special, while Hidden Power Ice hurts things like Gliscor and Latias, Stone Edge can be used in the last slot to dent Gyarados or Mach Punch can, for powerful priority.

Finally, everything on Haxorus looks good, just use Brick Break over Night Slash and use a Jolly Nature over a Naughty one.

Sorry about the honckrow thing idk what happen there. And i kinda liked it but i see where you say orther dark users like tyranitar are better but....i dont like em ha! I may replay him with a weavile.

Exadrill is a very good pokemon so he is defenately an option over to replace armaldo. Armaldo is basically a supporter for for many of the pokemon:

Grass dark bug electric bothering slowbro/king? Send in armaldo
Pyschic or flying type bothering blaziken/infernape? Send in armaldo
Ice user bothering haxorus? Send armaldo
Fire user bugging ferrothorn? Send armaldo
Substatute user? Send armaldo.
He also very good in trick room

Question:does that mean i cant use blaziken online at all or in tornament?
Because ill gladly swap him for goku aka infernape then use blaziken verse a friend.

Ill gladly replace power whip for gyro ball and kleetz in a really good name:)

I've got two cents to add for Honchkrow. But, I have to admit, there are better Pokemon out there then his guy. No matter how much of a boss Honchkrow is. Tyranitar will give valuable weather control and offer entry hazard support, so Karpman's option is superior to Honchkrow in almost all ways. However, if you must use Honchkrow, I'd recommend this:

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Insomnia / Super Luck
252 Attack / 4 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Naughty [+Attack; -Special Defense]
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Brave Bird

This is like, all out power Mixed LOHonchkrow. And there's really not much else to say about it. STAB Brave Bird wrecks anything that doesn't resist it. Superpower and Heat Wave hits Steel types that laugh at its STABs. Sucker Punch, not only give you excellent coverage because of it typing, but also gives Honchkrow some STAB priority. EVs are put into Attack and Speed, with the remainder in Special Attack. The Naughty nature guarantees that nothing else will be taken from Honchkrow's Special Attack either.

But, Scrafty, Hydreigon, Tyranitar.. any of these Dark Pokemon offer more than Honchkrow in one way or another. I highly suggest you consider some of these before moving forward with Honchkrow at all. If you want a suggestion on any set, just ask! :>

Yeah, Speed Boost Blaziken is banned. :[ Sorry.

Thats a gen 4 set up isnt it? Might be a pain in the ass to get :( i might replace him with a weavile.

Sad face on blaziken:(

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Sorry about the honckrow thing idk what happen there. And i kinda liked it but i see where you say orther dark users like tyranitar are better but....i dont like em ha! I may replay him with a weavile.

Exadrill is a very good pokemon so he is defenately an option over to replace armaldo. Armaldo is basically a supporter for for many of the pokemon:

Grass dark bug electric bothering slowbro/king? Send in armaldo
Pyschic or flying type bothering blaziken/infernape? Send in armaldo
Ice user bothering haxorus? Send armaldo
Fire user bugging ferrothorn? Send armaldo
Substatute user? Send armaldo.
He also very good in trick room

Question:does that mean i cant use blaziken online at all or in tornament?
Because ill gladly swap him for goku aka infernape then use blaziken verse a friend.

Ill gladly replace power whip for gyro ball and kleetz in a really good name:)
The main problem with Armaldo is that it doesn't have the best defensive typing, since it only resists 2 types (Normal and Poison). It's also too slow to use Swords Dance effectively. This is just me, but even though Crustle has lower Attack than Armaldo, it has higher Defense and a better set-up move in the form of Shell Smash:
-Shell Smash
-X-Scissor
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Earthquake
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt/Lum Berry/White Herb
Ability: Sturdy

Also, Weavile isn't as good as it used to be in Gen IV, since it's prone to priority (Conkeldurr's Mach Punch and Scizor's Bullet Punch, and to a lesser extent, Azumarill's Aqua Jet). Go with the Tyranitar set that Karpman suggested.

Years
The main problem with Armaldo is that it doesn't have the best defensive typing, since it only resists 2 types (Normal and Poison). It's also too slow to use Swords Dance effectively. This is just me, but even though Crustle has lower Attack than Armaldo, it has higher Defense and a better set-up move in the form of Shell Smash:
-Shell Smash
-X-Scissor
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Earthquake
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt/Lum Berry/White Herb
Ability: Sturdy

Also, Weavile isn't as good as it used to be in Gen IV, since it's prone to priority (Conkeldurr's Mach Punch and Scizor's Bullet Punch, and to a lesser extent, Azumarill's Aqua Jet). Go with the Tyranitar set that Karpman suggested.

Thats pretty true about armaldos speed its pretty bad but i think if i use him in trick room ill be good and i think slowbro/kings are pretty bulky enough for 2 tirck rooms 1 at the start of the game and the other a bit later especially with its ability + left overs and slack off it i go with slowbro. Crustle seems to be a defensive version to armaldo so i could switch them up from time to time.

And instead of going for a dark user a baton passer scizor? Something like:

Adament
@metal coat/life orb
Technician

Agility
Sword dance
Bullet punch
Baton pass

That way i could give a speed boost to a regular blaziken armaldo or haxorus

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
And instead of going for a dark user a baton passer scizor? Something like:

Adament
@metal coat/life orb
Technician

Agility
Sword dance
Bullet punch
Baton pass

That way i could give a speed boost to a regular blaziken armaldo or haxorus

While Scizor does have the Boosting moves to seem like a good Baton Passer, there are actually better ones out there. If you're going to use Swords Dance, however, I recommend this set for Scizor if you choose to use it:

Scizor @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Technician
252 HP / 40 Attack / 216 Special Defense
Adamant [+Attack; -Special Attack]
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost / Superpower

This is a decent bulky set that will make sure Scizor survives long enough to actually get off a Swords Dance. From that point, you're pretty well off. Roost is there to make sure you can stay alive to keep doing it, but Superpower can be used to hit other Steels. Bug Bite has superior strength over X-Scissor due to Technician and Bullet Punch is just a necessary move on Scizor.

As far as Baton Passing is concerned, I really don't know much about it. I've always heard that Mew, Zapdos, Gorebyss, Smeargle (who has access to Shell Smash and Spore, iirc), Vaporeon and Celebi can do it well, but I honestly don't know enough on the subject to be able to give you an educated and informed recommendation. But if you're just looking for immediate Speed, why not try a Choice Scarf on something?

Years

While Scizor does have the Boosting moves to seem like a good Baton Passer, there are actually better ones out there. If you're going to use Swords Dance, however, I recommend this set for Scizor if you choose to use it:

Scizor @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Technician
252 HP / 40 Attack / 216 Special Defense
Adamant [+Attack; -Special Attack]
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost / Superpower

This is a decent bulky set that will make sure Scizor survives long enough to actually get off a Swords Dance. From that point, you're pretty well off. Roost is there to make sure you can stay alive to keep doing it, but Superpower can be used to hit other Steels. Bug Bite has superior strength over X-Scissor due to Technician and Bullet Punch is just a necessary move on Scizor.

As far as Baton Passing is concerned, I really don't know much about it. I've always heard that Mew, Zapdos, Gorebyss, Smeargle (who has access to Shell Smash and Spore, iirc), Vaporeon and Celebi can do it well, but I honestly don't know enough on the subject to be able to give you an educated and informed recommendation. But if you're just looking for immediate Speed, why not try a Choice Scarf on something?

I honestly dont like any of the choice scarfs ect becuase it limits you to one move an i honestly dont think that double the piwer or speed is worth limiting myself to 1 move

I decided to switch honchkrow for gliscor with

-baton pass
Agility
Toxic
Earthquake

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I honestly dont like any of the choice scarfs ect becuase it limits you to one move an i honestly dont think that double the piwer or speed is worth limiting myself to 1 move

I decided to switch honchkrow for gliscor with

-baton pass
Agility
Toxic
Earthquake

The reason why people use Choice Scarf on some Pokemon like Darmanitan, Hydreigon and Politoed is to make up for their average Speed. They also do it so that Pokemon acts as a revenge killer who takes out a weakened opponent, then switch out. Choice Pokemon aren't meant to stay in battle for long.

Also, as for that Gliscor, Gliscor is best known for stalling things out with Toxic, like:
-Substitute
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Toxic/Facade/Ice Fang
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

or
-Toxic
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang/Facade
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

Huntail, Gorebyss and Smeargle can Baton Pass Shell Smashes to support your sweepers, but for the sake of simplicity, I'll post Gorebyss' set:
-Shell Smash
-Baton Pass
-Surf
-Ice Beam/Substitute
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/24 SDef/232 Spe
Item: White Herb

Years
Just wanted you guys to know that i acualy won 8 out of the 10 battles with all your help with the move set and etc so thank you :). My final team did change all myst but i did swtich slowking for slowbro and honchkrow for gliscor
And sometimes infernape for blasiken. So thats for all your help guys and watch out for beat up plus terricon 0.0 never had a chance

Back