• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Wow, this is fantastic! The info on those extra palettes will be extremely useful to me. Hopefully HackMew updates OWE when he sees your post. I wonder why it wasn't included in OWE to begin with though. Is there something wrong with those palettes?

Maybe you could make a thread in the Documents section outlining how to increase the number of palettes and OWs including what you posted here. That would certainly warrant a thread of its own. ;D

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Mm, that's pretty neat stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not using FR, nor do I really feel the need to have extra palettes, though I admit it couldn't hurt. I agree with Thrace that you might want to make a tutorial documenting your findings. I'm sure a lot of people could put it to good use :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen May 9, 2010
Nice, JPAN!
But what changes do you have to make to get more palettes?
And what exactly am I supposed to change at the listed offsets?

Last edited:

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
The only reason I didn't make a Document about this is because I have yet to find the use for all the "unknown data". I am missing one or two bytes, but when i figure out what they all do, I will post it all in a neat format.

For instance, while those unknown bytes after the 11 that belongs to the palette actually do nothing (found traces of a switch palette function, but is inaccessible), the last four unknown bytes are used in a unimplemented code to switch to a fixed palette common to all (normally the grayscale palette, for the "previously" command).

Also, to Lunatic-X, in most hex editors, the offset doesn't have the 0x08 before, so remove it to find it. (0x0805F2E0 becomes 0x05f2e0).
In order to use more palettes, as I stated before, simply repoint the palette table to some free space with enough to place as many palettes as you need. I guess you don't need more than 4600 palettes, but if that was the case, it is not simple enough to change as the more sprites function, requiring lots of changes to the code.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Ever heard of the Pomeg Glitch? Well, here's the fix for Emerald US v1.0:

Code:
08068fd2  2902 cmp r1, #0x2
08068fd4  dc04 bgt $08068fe0

All you have to do is to replace the 4 bytes starting from 0x68FD2 with 02 29 04 DC. BTW, I also made it so the Pomeg Berry won't get your Pokémon fainted.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Ever heard of the Pomeg Glitch? Well, here's the fix for Emerald US v1.0:

Code:
08068fd2  2902 cmp r1, #0x2
08068fd4  dc04 bgt $08068fe0

All you have to do is to replace the 4 bytes starting from 0x68FD2 with 02 29 04 DC. BTW, I also made it so the Pomeg Berry won't get your Pokémon fainted.

Whoa, there's a glitch like that?

Gotta go try it out! 8D

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I've got another topic that needs discussing: credit sequence hacking.
Are there any hacks out there that have modified credits? The problem I see is that the vast majority of hacks never make it to the stage at which an overhaul of the credits is needed but I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever given it a shot (as a side note, from looking over the graphics briefly myself, I've noticed that it appears that a lot of the stuff is compressed).
Anyways, please, share your thoughts.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I've got another topic that needs discussing: credit sequence hacking.
Are there any hacks out there that have modified credits? The problem I see is that the vast majority of hacks never make it to the stage at which an overhaul of the credits is needed but I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever given it a shot (as a side note, from looking over the graphics briefly myself, I've noticed that it appears that a lot of the stuff is compressed).
Anyways, please, share your thoughts.

I found a lot of sprites from the credits, but I haven't tried hacking them yet. I don't think many people hack the credits due to either laziness or the fact that nobody finds credit editing a priority. I mean, I don't really want to text edit all those lines of staff :\...

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Something has been brought to light to me recently(because I did it), and I was wondering your ideas on it(I'm sure I know the answers, but I figured I'd ask). Releases. Few with long intervals, or many with short intervals? Discuss.

Years
Something has been brought to light to me recently(because I did it), and I was wondering your ideas on it(I'm sure I know the answers, but I figured I'd ask). Releases. Few with long intervals, or many with short intervals? Discuss.

I prefer to give out teaser screenshots for a while even when I have it ready, and then let them stew... Nah, after about a week of it's actual 'completion' I'd plan to release. But I'd make it about... five minutes? Dunno, but not too long.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I prefer to give out teaser screenshots for a while even when I have it ready, and then let them stew... Nah, after about a week of it's actual 'completion' I'd plan to release. But I'd make it about... five minutes? Dunno, but not too long.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. Mainly just to give everybody a small taste of what's to come, you know? I'll probably wait a little while to release again, though.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Well, for me it's first release is a minimum of two gyms. Then I'd like to see five, then eight and finally the finished article. So, I'm in-between medium and long intervals ;P

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
what I am playing on doing is a long interval 4 gym for first beta (to get them hooked) and 1 gym every next beta( so they dont die out)

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
what I am playing on doing is a long interval 4 gym for first beta (to get them hooked) and 1 gym every next beta( so they dont die out)
See, I don't see how people could stay with my hack if I waited that long, maybe the suspense would keep them checking in on it?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
well thats why I havent been doing everything at my disposel to show off my hack I have been keeping it some what low as you notice I dont have a banner for my hack in my sig and theres proberly other things I could do to promote my hack more but thats the thing I want to keep it on the low until it gose into the hack showcase I want peoples first reaction to be wow were did this hack come from its great I want to play it, (then later they say oh snap I cant stop playing) acose this is all hope and I am not the type to talk about something and show it off when theres not that much its just silly dose any body agree with me or do I go about things in a peculiarity way

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I would have a one gym long alpha if people are getting bored of a release. Then I'd have a 3 gym beta, 5 gym beta and then an 8 gym beta. The whole 8 gyms in one beta thing is a big turnoff for me.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Can I ask something...?
Has anyone of you edited the order of the FR Pokedex?
I mean:
1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur
Replaced.
So, has anyone done it before?
I know DJG made it on Ruby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back