• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Ash Be Replaced?

Tackle

Pancham
Years
That would be great if they replaced Ash. Ash is getting boring, and Pikachu too.
I remember his battle with a trainer who has Snivy (Can't remember the name.), aww.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
I think they should make a new girl or boy the poster child of pokemon, I mean I wouldn't mind Ash if I wasn't a long time viewer, it get's annoying when he goes to a brand new region and gains amnesia or something because all the freaking information he learned through his past journey's completely dissapears and sometimes loses to a newbie trainer who just got their first pokemon, with a pikachu who has to be at least level 80 by now, I mean with a pokemon that strong even my little cousin who's like 4 could win a battle, Yet Ash can't and that annoys me to know end (Sometimes I yell battle strategies when I get really annoyed >.>)

To make a long story short so you don't need to read that paragraph if you don't like, Yes I do think he should be replaced. Only people who gain development anymore in this show is Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
Yes, Ash needs to retire. We've (in my own opinion) sucked all the potential out of him, and he did his job well. Over the years he has made Pokemon fun and funny. I really think though they should move on. Sorry. Pikachu, eyyeee, this is tough. If they replaced him, people wouldn't like the new central protagonist having "Ash's pikachu". Hmm... I don't really want to make a "therefore" kind of statement about this and regret it later.

Maybe they should just take a break from Ash like they did in Chronicles. Or, have a new main character and make Ash reappear every so often as a friend of the protagonist.

As a huge fan of the Chronicles series, I would love to see a Chronicles 2. And as an admirer of Pokemon Chronicles I wouldn't mind if Kenta did a swap with Ash. He's the better Ash in my opinion.

I guess what i'm saying is I think Kenta/Jimmy or another trainer would make a good Ash for a while with Ash reappearing every so often. The least they could do is take a small break from Ash for a while, but I doubt any of this will ever happen, unfortunately.

ganesha

The Graphical Master
Years
I agree with people saying Ash becoming matured and older. Now a days mostly the youngsters in teens and above watch Pokemon so making Ash a bit older would be great.

If we say Ash is the only one continuous from the beginning its wrong even the Team Rocket jokers are there from the beginning.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I hate how they make him a total idiot each time a new saga starts, and occasionally during that saga as well. It's becoming old, and very annoying, especially for people who have been watching the series from the very beginning.

IMO, he should at least be rebooted along with the whole anime series. After seeing that anime trailer for B2W2 a long time ago, that made what we have now seem like crud. If the anime was rebooted in the style and awesomeness of that anime trailer, I'll hug all the people behind it. Have Ash actually age, showing how mature he's gotten and how better of a battler and trainer he's become. Change up the formula too, as every saga is as predictable as what a wild Abra will do:

Ash will go to a new region,
lose to the jerk rival,
get badges between fillers,
meet other people who he will take on the League with,
meet the nice rival,
beat the jerk rival in the League,
and lose to the nice rival, who may or may not win the League.

So, no, don't replace him as he's practically the face of the series, but reboot the series and Ash as well.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
I wan't Ash to A) Get replaced by a new protagonist or B) have some Character development but I don't see it happing here's an iterveiw I saw
"Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode. Going back to my first interview, I did not mention that he stated the show was cyclical because it could be the audience is constantly replaced (since children get older and leave, and new children come in), so they are allowed to get away with having the same repetitive goal. So, the show would probably continue the same way collect badges, travel through different regions, never age. Will Ash and Pikachu ever be replaced? No. Will they ever age? No."
it's from an interview with Masamitsu Hidaka (read it here http://tinyurl.com/d4rhrm9).

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
guys, i think we need to understand that Pokemon as we know it will NEVER really change. the biggest change they've made was when they got rid of brock, but even then it wasn't that big of a change to the series.

My guess is, leave Pokemon to stagnate, let the children have their toys. Let's push instead for a SECOND pokemon show. a new one with a whole new plot, world, protagonist, everything. don't push the second show to little kids. get a new art style so that it can't be really compared to the original. set a new tone with a real advancing and growing plot. Create real drama. and we'll have a proper anime that teens and adults will want to see.

If you want to see this happen, don't complain about how the show remains the same. it will always remain the same. Demand something COMPLETELY new and maybe the producers will give us something new

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
New Pokemon shows aren't going to happen. They've tried and got bad ratings. It shows that the ratings with the current anime are high enough that they won't attempt to replace or make a new one.

@Hyper its well known that they never intended to let Ash win an official league tournament. He's only there to promote the games through anime means.

Years
100 times yes. his character is overplayed, and a new "hero" would definately draw me in. It would make the show alot more enjoyable.

Oshy

♩♫♩
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2013
Honestly, I think he should stay.

He's been the whole story in Pokemon ever since it started. All because of him we were introduced to the adorable bond and friendship between people and their Pokemon. Just look back at all the things he and his Pokemon went through. I mean, Ash almost died, and if it weren't for his bond with Pikachu he would've died.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2013
yeah let replace ash, and while we are at it lets get rid of gym battles in games and just stay in your home town and do nothing!
Look, Ash always annoys me each time while becoming useless at the beginning of each region, but Ash is Ash, he is the main character. Sure he is annoying, sure he really should get his act together and train a bit more. But all the original characters are gone, if he get rid of Ash who knows what we will end up with!! Take the current series, Iris deserves a whack over the head and to be told her place, Cilan he is annoying it is funny but honestly how many cooking references can one huy think of??? Also losing Ash may mean losing Jessie, James and Meowth. THEY ARE ASH'S PERSONAL STALKERS!!! Look I know people have a problem with Ash but he is a huge part of the anime, a part which people will miss when it goes, so as well as the fact that the chances of the animators replacing Ash is so small its not worth worrying about, but he is a huge part of the anime! (on a side note I have spell check on my browser and a suggestion for Meowth was showtime????)

tnfsf11

I agree that Ash should be replaced, he's been in the anime for too long, his friends & Pokemon are changing while he's still immature & stupid, not to mention his "amnesia" once he enters a new region.
I think what should happen is:

1. Ash matures up, becomes real good at battling then -finally- wins the league, his Pikachu dies at the last -winning- move & Ash weeps upon him but gets happy afterwards that he won & decides to retire from training Pokemon.

2. Once the X & Y era begins, we find Ash in futuristic Pallet Town, as an old teen, teaching new trainers some Pokemon skills & telling them his stories & adventures while being old prof. Oak's assistant, one of the trainer-wannabes gets motivated by Ash's stories & decides to pick up his starter & set on a journey as a rookie trainer (rookie as Ash now LOL).

What do you guys think?

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I agree that Ash should be replaced, and I'd also like to see spin-offs regarding Misty, May and Dawn's adventures since they left Ash.

Also, I think that instead of using a new character, Max could finally reach 10, leave Petalburg City and become a trainer. He would go to our new region first, meeting up with Rosa (My favourite protagonist) and one of the Generation VI protagonists. They would travel the new region, maybe with a new evil team following them (although I do like Team Rocket).

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2023
If they can replace misty after 5 seasons, and brock after 11, then replacing ash should be no problem...

Years
That a No No because Ash n pikachu are the main mascots of Pokemon. How could they be replaced. I am sure the Pokemon Company now feels that if they do this silly mistake many fans will quit Pokemon

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
As long as Pokémon shall continue, so shall Ash. He is irreplaceable, so as to think that another fellow cannot be like Ash. He is unique, as such. He acts like a total n00b after entering the next region, true, but that's just to affect the thing like, he can easily swipe the Pokémon League if he remains an expert. In other ways, his childishness and goof-ups can be emulated upon to think of what NOT to do. It all mixes well in the series, so to speak.

Back