• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
Years
Ah, but most people here aren't that active in the discussion here. There have been a lot of new faces popping up that we dont take notice of because they're not in roleplays that we are in. It would be nice to see people say a short hello in the discussion here, so we could learn who is really part of our little community here.

So, I would like to say Hello to everybody. I like the idea of series of RPs in different regions, discussed here, and I would like to offer help if needed. Thanks and have a good day.

Years
@Diamond: This is kinda suppose to be LIKE the games, so I'm with the notion of items.
I disagree, it is possible to make a Journey RP totally different from the games. And it has been done, go check up on Pokemon Captured done by our very own RHCP. It's a Journey RP but not like the games. You should open your mind and imagination. :D

Be careful when talking about originality and creativity. They're the same and yet very different in that creativity is subjective, meaning creativity is in the eyes of the creator, not us. Originality on the other hand is objective.
Last time I checked, they're both the same. Originality is also in the eyes of the beholder. Buuut I didn't come here to argue over definitions, because they also vary. :P

@Diamond1304 - That's kinda . . . What I had in mind. I never planned for us to . . . Well, we may interact with the larger legendaries, just not as much.
gawd, this is so annoying to type on my phone! :(
Great minds think alike. XD ;P Yeah well I was just suggesting, give the rest a lil' more LOVE! XP;;

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I disagree, it is possible to make a Journey RP totally different from the games. And it has been done, go check up on Pokemon Captured done by our very own RHCP. It's a Journey RP but not like the games. You should open your mind and imagination. :D

Omg, someone still remembers that? xD It was my first time as a GM~
/nostalgia

btw, apparently I came second in the RPA as Best Roleplayer and my RP Foreigners came second in another category. I hadn't noticed! Thanks for the votes, people :3 I promise to vote in the next RPA, as I feel I've caught up a little on what roleplays and roleplayers are around, this time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Last time I checked, they're both the same. Originality is also in the eyes of the beholder. Buuut I didn't come here to argue over definitions, because they also vary. :P
They have similar meanings, but creativity stems from the word create and revolves around the process of. Originality is about uniqueness and being one of a kind. They are considered similes as creativity is often associated with having unique ways of creating things, but there is difference between the two.

Man! I feel real slack as a roleplayer. I haven't written a post in DAYS. I need to get to a pc and DO SO!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Shameless advertising: I think some more people should come and try to join this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267906 - The Whirl Cup! It's a Johto journey RP that has already started, but there seem to be only 2 active players :p And some who reserved haven't signed up, I think. Go grab (ask for) the spots!

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years

They never were the same. There is only one correct definition of a word in any one context, and in this context no originality is not in the eyes of the beholder. If it was, then we would have no right to decide what is or is not original.

Originality is the aspect of created or invented works by as being new or novel, and thus can be distinguished from reproductions, clones, forgeries, or derivative works.
Notice there's no sign of subjectivity here. It's objective and therefore not in the eyes of the beholder.

Creativity refers to the phenomenon whereby a person creates something new (a product, a solution, a work of art, a novel, a joke, etc.) that has some kind of value. What counts as "new" may be in reference to the individual creator, or to the society or domain within which the novelty occurs. What counts as "valuable" is similarly defined in a variety of ways.
The underlined part states subjectivity.

For more revolutionary thinking in the context of literature, I might advise you to take a look at this: http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

Last edited:

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
@Diamond: I never suggested that Journey RPs have to be like games, that's just plain stupid. I suggested that this RP was intended to be LIKE the games. Not that Journey RPs were meant to be like the games. I think you misinterpreted my post.

LOL, No offense people, but this originality discussion is kinda pointless.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
What does everyone think about having to pick theme songs for SUs?

I personally think that it's a nice part of an SU, plus sometimes have really good music in theirs. But sometimes people go overboard with them... I can think of one RP that died a long time ago. But I actually really liked the songs in that one.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024

I like it. I have a lot of songs that I like to associate with RPs or characters, and I thin it gives a nice extra dimension when imagining the character :3

Years

Omg, someone still remembers that? xD It was my first time as a GM~
/nostalgia
It's hard for me to forget things. Even more shameful if I do, because that's a slip-up on me XD I still can remember the RPs at the time I started RPing and roughly their GMs. :3

@Diamond: I never suggested that Journey RPs have to be like games, that's just plain stupid. I suggested that this RP was intended to be LIKE the games. Not that Journey RPs were meant to be like the games. I think you misinterpreted my post.

LOL, No offense people, but this originality discussion is kinda pointless.
And I never said in that comment that it applied to Journey RPs in general. :P

Well yes I know, my literature isn't that fantastic, but didn't we all come here to learn? That's the point of this discussion thread, no? Anyway I'm not gonna continue this or whatever because I know I'm wrong. My earlier definitions weren't really correct.

*waves at invisible fly* Anywho let's just get back on track. XD

Umm personally, I'm fine with it. I think it's rather creative and helps others to visualize the character through auditory methods. It's like the way with TV programmes, we all associate a theme with a show, just like associating a theme song to a RP character. (Kay...maybe I said that wrongly XD) /confused

Oh and before I forget, congratulations to all those who won in the RPAs~ :D OMG it's that tart's name I see. *goes to toilet* xP

You know why I would like to see? A NON Pokemon roleplay which a lot of people would join. Most non Pokemon ones tend to be unpopular. It sucks because there are people like me who are trying to ween off Pokemon roleplays. I hadnt even touched any kind of non Pokemon roleplay until years of lies, which I was nervous to join at first. Now, I prefer non Pokemon or more realistic but with Pokemon elements (anyone remember misfits?). Though this IS a Pokemon forum so Pokemon roleplays will always be the most popular option.

Actually, you know what would be interesting? A roleplay based on true events rather than based on fiction from books/games/movies/tv shows etc.
Oh I think I do, Misfits, something like humans with Pokemon powers....? I kinda wanted to do something like that but more 'X-Men'-ish, then I recalled something like this already and I didn't want to look like I'm stealing so it went into the bin. xD

A RP based on true events? Seems quite difficult. All I can think are wars and religious events that created lots of controversy. I don't really like war RPs and I suck at them. I don't think religious RPs would be appropriate and wouldn't be quite fun imho. I don't know whether Salem Witch Trials would apply as true events but they seem to be in the realistic-fantasy genre. Meh I don't know. XD

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years

I like it. I have a lot of songs that I like to associate with RPs or characters, and I thin it gives a nice extra dimension when imagining the character :3

I'm really bad at thinking up songs for characters, mostly because when creating a character, even if I've their personality and history all in my head, I still don't know how they will become until I'm actually roleplaying with them.

It's like driving somewhere you're not sure of how to get to. You vaguely remember how you drove there last time, and you have the google maps directions in your head, by who knows it you'll get to your destination by that route, or another. Or if you'll get where you thought you would at all. And maybe you'd get lost along the way or there's a roadblock and a radical change of plans is needed.

That's kind of how characters are for me. I know what they've done before the present point, and I've got their character traits as a vague map with somewhat of an idea of what they'll become, what the destination is, but it's just a question how they'll get there.

That, and I don't really have that great a music storage, I tend to just remember the music I'm into at that moment, and sometimes that awesome tune from Uncharted 3 just doesn't cut it xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm really bad at thinking up songs for characters, mostly because when creating a character, even if I've their personality and history all in my head, I still don't know how they will become until I'm actually roleplaying with them.

It's like driving somewhere you're not sure of how to get to. You vaguely remember how you drove there last time, and you have the google maps directions in your head, by who knows it you'll get to your destination by that route, or another. Or if you'll get where you thought you would at all. And maybe you'd get lost along the way or there's a roadblock and a radical change of plans is needed.

That's kind of how characters are for me. I know what they've done before the present point, and I've got their character traits as a vague map with somewhat of an idea of what they'll become, what the destination is, but it's just a question how they'll get there.

That, and I don't really have that great a music storage, I tend to just remember the music I'm into at that moment, and sometimes that awesome tune from Uncharted 3 just doesn't cut it xD

All this that you just said is why I don't want to demand long and overly detailed SUs for my RPs anymore. I've realized that when I RP, my character often evolves and becomes a bit different from what I meant for them to be. Of course, roleplaying means taking the role of a character with certain traits and history and act as they would in given situations, but in some RPs it can be more fun and rewarding to find out after a while what kind of person you really want to play as. Especially if you're new to RPing. So, I regard my SUs as a set of rather basic traits and a history to explain them, and then I let my character live on and evolve through my fingers typing~

I understand though that many want to shape a completely finished character beforehand and then just play them out and let them live in the RP. In some kind of RPs, an interesting character makes all the difference, while in others I think it means less. We always love interesting characters, of course :D -looks at a certain Katharina-

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Um, how does everyone feel about a RP taking place in the Orre region? ~ :3

[that's the region in Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD iirc!]

if not, I also planned for a pokemon journey RP that takes place in an authentic region~ :3

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

if not, I also planned for a pokemon journey RP that takes place in an authentic region~ :3

Hmm....tbh I don't see it. But that's just me. I hate everything

You know, I feel I haven't been givin enough love to Pokemon Trainer Academy. It's not everyday an RP has a bigger post count than even the RP Discussion Thread. The most active and enduring RP this year. Kudos!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024

I don'w know anything about Orre, but if you would describe the setting well it would be interesting :3

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years

You'd really have to be descriptive for Orre, for I think there are a lot of people (including me) who've not played those games, or enough to really know much about it.

But the authentic region really has me interested C8 I do love playing in regions I've little knowledge of, it makes it that much more interesting.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
That's fine; All of the cities in Orre are pretty straight forward to get a picture of from a description anyway.

Then again, I'd have to be really descriptive for the authentic region, right? ~

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023

I think it may help people understand someone's character's personality better. I mean an OC's personality could possibly even be determined by that song.

What would it be about though? There isn't any gyms in the region and it's said there is barely any wild pokemon (though you could fix that). Would you simply have a group of people (the RPers) fighting a new Shadow Pokemon organisation?

Also, while I was sitting at work thinking about RP's based in the real world I somehow thought of something. What would you guys think of an RP about a cyber attack hitting all of the major governments at once and the RPer's, a set of people say 18 - 24 years old who are apart of an elite force of computer hackers as well as fighters are sent to find out and stop the attack?
Another idea is based on an attack on Berlin, Washington D.C., and several other cities, provoking a WW3 possibly and you would be soldiers in one of 3 governments fighting to protect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back