• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Internal battery

Does your copy of g/s/c still work?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
If you want to change your battery without loosing save. Retron 5 is a way to do it. This console dumps your rom to temoporary memory and it allows you to copy your save on the system in a specific way. You can continue your gameplay on the console and you wont loose the progress since it can replace your save on your cartridge with progress you made on the console. In that way you can copy our save on the console, change battery and than import your save back on the cart.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
To my knowledge, all of my Gen II games are working. I had my Silver batteries replaced recently, so I'm thinking Gold and Crystal might go out this year, but last I checked, they were fine. ...I'm too afraid to check right now honestly.

Years
My gold version...most definitely did not survive the battery. :( I checked it last year or so, and my beloved save file, which possibly had the most played time I've had on a pokemon game so far (although my copy of sapphire might be encroaching on that, not sure), gone. All my pokemon, gone. ;-; Sigh.

I'm not going to replace the battery. Too much effort for a game I probably look at only once every few years at best now. But I'm definitely not throwing the cartridge away, there's too much nostalgia involved with it.

Years
Well I think my copies of Gold and Silver failed to keep their battery running properly, but I do still have a working version of Crystal that's doing alright enough. That was at 58 hours when I last picked it up. I don't know how to replace the battery on my own, though.

Years
The battery for my Gold and Silver versions went out a long time ago, and I got rid of them not long after. My Crystal still works, but unfortunately it's doing the thing where the clock wont keep up with the actual time, which is a sign that the battery is about to go out. I'm thinking of replacing it, but the price for the materials needed for that and just buying another game are about the same, so...I dunno.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
My cousins crystal cartridge is working fine! my aunt bought it when the game first game out!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Ahh yes the battery issue. I back up my save data to a flash card every once in a while. So that way I don't have to worry about losing any data.
I change the batteries a whole lot. It's quite annoying sometimes >.>

I have all three of the Gen II games. Because i'm a collector.. :p
All three's saves are working. Because I change the battery ever few years or so.

I wonder if there is a way to recharge that battery. Like modify the cart to get charged. I'm might research on that and try to make something myself.
This could defiantly be possible right? I'l guessing all I would need to do is use a special battery and add wires that will carry the power to the battery.
Hmmm...... :3

If anyone knows if something like this is possible, or knows ways to do it, then please go ahead and reply ^.^

Have a great day everyone! And good luck to all with your batteries~

Last edited:

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
Ahh yes the battery issue. I back up my save data to a flash card every once in a while. So that way I don't have to worry about losing any data.
I change the batteries a whole lot. It's quite annoying sometimes >.>

I have all three of the Gen II games. Because i'm a collector.. :p
All three's saves are working. Because I change the battery ever few years or so.

I wonder if there is a way to recharge that battery. Like modify the cart to get charged. I'm might research on that and try to make something myself.
This could defiantly be possible right? I'l guessing all I would need to do is use a special battery and add wires that will carry the power to the battery.
Hmmm...... :3

If anyone knows if something like this is possible, or knows ways to do it, then please go ahead and reply ^.^

Have a great day everyone! And good luck to all with your batteries~

I actually was thinking about this, it should work but I'm not sure the save would survive, but it's worth a try

If the game is recharging while on, the save should stay in tact since the progress is saved in the ram, then when the recharge is done, you can save.

Years
Unfortunately the batteries in both my Gold and Silver cartridges are dead. I acquired both games second-hand, so I guess one way or another their batteries had been at work before I got hold of them.
Unfortunately my Silver died after I accidentally left the cartridge in my pocket (then put the trousers through the washing machine). I just thought it was because of the water. A Gold version I later acquired then died over time, so I realised it was just a thing that happened.

I would attempt to fix them, although I have the roms on my phone and realistically I probably wouldn't play them on cartridge too often anyway. It's nice to still have them for sentimental value.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
Does anyone still have there old gold/silver/crystal?:
Aye, I do. I still have my old Gold, Silver, and Crystal games. Even the purple GameBoy color and a Japanese silver my childhood pal gave me once. And just keeping the GameBoy in working order was a task.

Replace battery?:
Gold: 5 times.
Silver: 3
Crystal: 7 (this one died alot)
JPN Silver: 1

Keep the dead battery?:
As a memory, yes. One from each game, the other batteries that came after were thrown away.

Chuck the game away?:
Nope. :3

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Mar 2, 2015
Mega Memory card was the best purchase I made around 15 years ago. Companies started using the rewritable chips around that time to take the place of the batt back up features in game paks. When my paks batt died the MM card had my old saves backed up on it so all I had to do was replace the batteries and restore the files. Blue, Red, Gold, and Crystal are all backed up just in case of a batt failure. Think they are on ebay and maybe amazon. Not too sure of the price though. Posted a video displaying the saves on youtube. Just search HellsPCT and click on the profile. Should be the first video displayed.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
My Crystal game worked from 2001 when I got it until now. However the save feature worked 2001-2014. So it plays but you can't save so it's useless.

I played one continuous game on it and when it erased my game I had just finished the last Kanto gym, I think it was Brock or Misty so never got to fight the champion. But I did catch Lugia with an ultra ball before it crashed.

I never really played Gold and Silver since I had Crystal. But I know the Silver game got corrupted many years ago, I was able to trade the starter pokemon on it and clone said starter before though.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 16, 2015
Never knew about the Flash Cart. I would of Saved my Pokemon onto Pokemon Stadium

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Pokémon Blue is still working just fine, somehow.
Gold's battery is dead.
Not sure about Yellow.

Years
My Crystal's internal battery ran dry a long time ago, at the time I had no idea what was going on and was distraught I couldn't play it again. Unfortunately I've never got it replaced...man I loved that game.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
Years
Ahhh, my Crystal's battery is cooked but my Yellow's one is fine :( Crystal has always been my favourite game but I haven't had the chance to play it besides emulators in a long while, and frankly emulators just aren't the same

Back