• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon Hitchhikers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
So does anyone think B2/W2 will get us the following Pokémon feature back, like in HG/SS? Or maybe even a single Pokémon like Pikachu in Yellow?
Would you want there to be?

In my opinion, one of my favourite features of HG/SS was the Pokémon followers. It made everything seem so personal and it felt like the Pokémon following me was really my trusty sidekick. I would really love it to return, especially because it was missing in B/W.
I wouldn't mind if B2/W2 weren't direct sequels, and instead were just two improved games, that were simply B/W with altered graphics and following Pokémon, among other things. Actually, what I'm expecting is that, except for Pokémon followers, lol.

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
I don't think that walk alongs will return anytime soon, I just think it was a "cool" thing that they put into HG/SS. I would like it if they did though, but probobly not gonna happen. :(

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I think this feature will back in 5 gen, if not in B2/W2, then in R/S remakes.
It has potential to be improved by ability to on/off it and being able to choose which Pokemon will follow you (not only first in the party).

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
So does anyone think B2/W2 will get us the following Pokémon feature back, like in HG/SS? Or maybe even a single Pokémon like Pikachu in Yellow?
Would you want there to be?

In my opinion, one of my favourite features of HG/SS was the Pokémon followers. It made everything seem so personal and it felt like the Pokémon following me was really my trusty sidekick. I would really love it to return, especially because it was missing in B/W.

I enjoyed having a Pokemon follow me, but I can see why that was removed. Think about it this way: Imagine if you were a NPC in the game and this kid with a huge Legendary Pokemon was walking around a city like nothing was going on. I'd walk around with Lugia or Groudon following me in SoulSilver and think "I wonder if any of these people are even concerned that THIS Pokemon is roaming around in their city!" Looking at it from that world, people would freak out if a Legendary Pokemon was just walking around in the middle of the day!

I wouldn't mind if B2/W2 weren't direct sequels, and instead were just two improved games, that were simply B/W with altered graphics and following Pokémon, among other things. Actually, what I'm expecting is that, except for Pokémon followers, lol.

I'm not sure if you're just hoping for B/W 2 to be "remakes" of B/W, but it was announced that they are supposed to have a total new story, hence them being called "sequels". Still, I doubt we will see the return of Pokemon following us.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I enjoyed having a Pokemon follow me, but I can see why that was removed. Think about it this way: Imagine if you were a NPC in the game and this kid with a huge Legendary Pokemon was walking around a city like nothing was going on. I'd walk around with Lugia or Groudon following me in SoulSilver and think "I wonder if any of these people are even concerned that THIS Pokemon is roaming around in their city!" Looking at it from that world, people would freak out if a Legendary Pokemon was just walking around in the middle of the day!

If that would be main matter, this feature would be never created in HG/SS. Also, you can still use legendary Pokemon in battle against ordinary trainers with weak Pokemon and nobody freaks out.

I think this feature as well as running without holding button was removed in B/W to make comeback in B2/W2 or/and R/S remakes to make people more interested about those games.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
If that would be main matter, this feature would be never created in HG/SS. Also, you can still use legendary Pokemon in battle against ordinary trainers with weak Pokemon and nobody freaks out.

The feature was added as a reference to Pokemon Yellow and having Pikachu follow you, so it wasn't a totally new feature. They just upgraded to include all Pokemon. I'm not saying that they DID cut if for that reason, but that sorta makes sense to me.

Having a Legendary Pokemon seen in battle wouldn't be quite as shocking as having one wondering in a city unprovoked. There's a little bit of a difference there. Also, there may have been issues with having the Pokemon sprites appearing in the 3D cities, not saying that was the definite reason, but it could have been a factor in cutting the feature. Again though, this was a minor feature and though it was a nice one, it doesn't make the games any worse or better by having it or not having it

I think this feature as well as running without holding button was removed in B/W to make comeback in B2/W2 or/and R/S remakes to make people more interested about those games.

I think you're reading too much into it based on things you hope or want to see happen. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
The feature was added as a reference to Pokemon Yellow and having Pikachu follow you, so it wasn't a totally new feature. They just upgraded to include all Pokemon. I'm not saying that they DID cut if for that reason, but that sorta makes sense to me.

Having a Legendary Pokemon seen in battle wouldn't be quite as shocking as having one wondering in a city unprovoked. There's a little bit of a difference there. Also, there may have been issues with having the Pokemon sprites appearing in the 3D cities, not saying that was the definite reason, but it could have been a factor in cutting the feature. Again though, this was a minor feature and though it was a nice one, it doesn't make the games any worse or better by having it or not having it.

I don't think that having Pokemon sprites appearing in 3D cities would be trouble because HG/SS cities were already 3D-ish. In HG/SS there are also full 3D places like part of Olivine Lighthouse in which Pokemon sprites appear without any trouble.

I think the main reason why this feature was removed is because B/W are first games of new generation and those games always have some features removed. Like I said, this feature is very likely to return in gen 5, just like Gym Leaders rematches, full Battle Frontier and maybe those touch screen features from HG/SS.

Mr. Magius

  
Years

I'm not sure if you're just hoping for B/W 2 to be "remakes" of B/W, but it was announced that they are supposed to have a total new story, hence them being called "sequels". Still, I doubt we will see the return of Pokemon following us.
I was saying that I know B2/W2 are sequels, but I wouldn't mind if they were just remakes. Although I doubt it will happen, I think a lot of people would enjoy the added feature, especially with a few changes (like having the option to turn it off).

Game Freak chose to limit B/W's features to make room for a new set of games. We might see it, we might not, but I think the Generation III remakes will hopefully see a return of the following Pokémon feature.

Joshawott

Banned
Years
At this point I really think it is hard to say whether or not we will get to see the following feature return in Black and White 2, but I'd definitely love to see it again. If they do decide to have this, I somehow doubt it will only be with one Pokémon; that seems a little outdated. Still, it would be possible for them to transport the overworld sprites from HeartGold/SoulSilver and simply just create the new ones. If they were to use this feature again, I hope they would add a little more to it, but that's just me. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I'm kinda doubtful it would happen, and rather indifferent to it either way... I felt that having Pokemon follow me in HG/SS added little or nothing to my gaming experience. Didn't take anything away from it, but for the most part I ignored the sprite that followed me. Or rode the Bike.

If anything, for me it's a sign of disobedience on the part of the Pokemon. "I ain't goin' in your little ball, fool! I'm gonna follow you around whether you want me to or not." That's the whole vibe I got from having Pokemon follow me around.

If it happens to be implemented in B2/W2, there's got to be a way you can select a Pokemon to follow you (regardless of position on your party list) instead of having it automatically be the first one on your roster. I know I change the order of my team so much that the Pokemon that followed me back in SS would change every five minutes or so.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I like following Pokemon, the one feature that really appealed to me so much. I want to see a Samurott following me around. Aahhh... Plus, they make good sprites.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I very much hope they will bring it back. I though it was really cool, and that's one of the reasons I keep going back to HG. I've used a lot of Pokémon just to see their overworld sprites.

I think a lot of people really liked this feature, certainly more than those that didn't like it, so I don't see why they wouldn't bring it back.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I though it was really cool, and that's one of the reasons I keep going back to HG.

Exactly what Game Freak wants to achieve. They added this feature in HG/SS to make D/P/Pt look "incomplete". They'll probably make it return in B2/W2 and/or R/S remakes to make B/W look "incomplete" too.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2012
The following pokemon feature was one of my favourite things in HG/SS. It made me feel that I could bond with my team,and that my trainer and his pokemon were his partners,instead of just mindless minions.

Although,I doubt this feature will return.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I maintain that HGSS and BW were developed around the same time by two teams that went in different directions. One team choose to include Follow Me.

The other logical explanation is that Follow Me is such a good idea, they are withholding it on purpose to sell sequels and remakes.

I LOVE my pokemon walking behind me. It makes the game EMOTIONAL! I love those little critters that follow me.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
The other logical explanation is that Follow Me is such a good idea, they are withholding it on purpose to sell sequels and remakes.

I LOVE my pokemon walking behind me. It makes the game EMOTIONAL! I love those little critters that follow me.
I really hope that that's their logic. I would deeply enjoy the return of this feature ;-;

And exactly as you said, the game is more on a personal level when you have your Pokémon following you. It's also a bit nostalgic, because I remember having Pikachu following me around in Yellow.

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
yeah the only plausible explanation they had for removing the feature in the first place is because of sprite limitations. assuming the new games use the same engine as BW, i doubt theyll add it. it seems like more pain than it's worth.

PokeFreak201306

Pokemon Master
Years
I believe that Pokemon following you was an AMAZING feature and that it should be brought back and kept, many people enjoyed it but they should also have to where it can be shut off so people that dont can keep it off, Wonderful games, overall i just hate when they give us something great then they take it away like candy from a baby

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'd love to see it back. I want Petilil to follow me around all the time and we can be bffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back