Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page What's taking them so long to reveal the starter evolutions?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old August 15th, 2013 (04:03 AM).
Do it now - crack the bone till it falls!

Nature: Adamant
Because they want to hide us the fact the Fennekin is just another Fire/Fighting-type.

"<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | AMA | #Respect4Rhyperior #Respect4Garbodor #Respect4Tangrowth
Old August 15th, 2013 (04:33 AM).
The Old Gang

Nature: Serious
Starters generate the most hype because for whatever reason almost everyone feels obliged to use them, so it becomes a very relevant matter for discussion around here. Makes sense from a commercial perspective to reveal what is perceived to be a very major subject among the last, so that everyone is 'into' Pokemon at the moment of release. If they did reveal starter evolutions at relatively earlier times in past generations though, suppose they might be switching it up to 'keep us guessing', as it were.
Old August 15th, 2013 (05:17 AM).
The dead can't speak...that's why i'm always quiet

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
That's the boat I'm on. Grass/Rock, Fire/Fighting OR Fire/Fairy, and Water/Dark OR Water/Flying

Froakie really doesn't show any support, but when it was said it may be a Ninja, I just wanted it to become a ninja~
HAHA, i was thinking about wandering here and was not dissappointed.

Maybe Chespin will be a Grass\Steel, Or Grass\Ground (because lets face it guys- he is a F'in squirrel with spikes)....

I can easily see Fennekin as fire/fairy or fire/psychic. (Wont be surprised if they will make him a nintelas with boxing gloves on,though).

And Froakie im guessing Water\Poison or Water/Ice (Because it is clearly states th white goo he has on him are bubbles).

What do you think guys?
Old August 17th, 2013 (09:43 PM).

You'd be truely mad if it were Fire/Fighting now, so I don't see any difference between now or later.

Either way, they are giving us a Torchic for free. I think I said this here, but its like they are saying: You are going to absolutely hate the new Fire Starter so let us give you the best one ever made so you can start with something else and still have an epic Fire Starter on your team.
I actually think they're saying this: Since we've created this new thing called "mega evolutions" and since Torchic is the only pokémon that mega evolves that you can't catch in the wild, here's a free one from us.
Old August 17th, 2013 (10:14 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by Superfox:
I actually think they're saying this: Since we've created this new thing called "mega evolutions" and since Torchic is the only pokémon that mega evolves that you can't catch in the wild, here's a free one from us.
No one said Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, Mewtwo, or Absol were wild in the Kalos Region either so whose to say that any of the Mega Pokemon we've seen can be caught?
Old August 18th, 2013 (03:52 AM).
Mud Attack!

Spoiler:

Is this even real, i don't wanna sound stupid asking about it.
Old August 18th, 2013 (03:56 AM).

Quote originally posted by Angelroid:
Spoiler:

Oh what! When did this come out?

I don't particularly like the look of any of those... So I hope it isn't real. But man, printed and with what looks to be game boxes on either side does make it look somewhat legitimate.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it just looks to be laminated paper propped up near actual Game Freak stuff. More than likely high quality dedicated fan art.

Currently looking for:
-Competitive shiny and HA pokemon
-Assault Vest
-Ability Capsule
-Tyranitarite

FC: 1993-8587-9003
PM me first
Old August 18th, 2013 (05:31 AM).

I'm calling fake. I mean look at the pokeball and the lazily cut out male trainer.
If its real then I will be dissapointed for sure. I expected much more then that.

My Friend Safari contains: Dunsparce, Audino, and Imposter Ditto.
Old August 18th, 2013 (12:06 PM).

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Angelroid:
Spoiler:

Im calling it fake that frokie evo was floating around a while ago with different fennikin and chespin evos.
Old August 18th, 2013 (04:14 PM).

No one said Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, Mewtwo, or Absol were wild in the Kalos Region either so whose to say that any of the Mega Pokemon we've seen can be caught?
Yeah, except those are all Pokémon that the player has traditionally encountered through normal gameplay. There's nothing that says that they can't make Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, or even Mewtwo encounterable in the wild of the Kalos region. Hell, the reveal of the Mega evos probably means they will. However, Torchic, being a starter, is the only Pokémon that has never been encounterable in the wild in any game. Therefore, Gamefreak is solving that problem by having a special distribution.
Old August 18th, 2013 (05:39 PM).
Vengeance is Vine

Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
That fake picture of the starter evolutions has been floating around since February!!!!

This person simple cut out these old pictures and glued them on their tv, and then glued official artwork on the covers of other 3DS cartridge containers.

Spoiler:

Artwork by Fairy+
Old August 18th, 2013 (07:51 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by Superfox:
Yeah, except those are all Pokémon that the player has traditionally encountered through normal gameplay. There's nothing that says that they can't make Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, or even Mewtwo encounterable in the wild of the Kalos region. Hell, the reveal of the Mega evos probably means they will. However, Torchic, being a starter, is the only Pokémon that has never been encounterable in the wild in any game. Therefore, Gamefreak is solving that problem by having a special distribution.
You can get all the Starters in other games from professors after completing specific goals. They've also been handed out occasionally through events before this too. Torchic event really isn't that special. Status or no, there isn't any guarantee that ANY of the confirmed Mega Evolution Pokemon are even in the main game. Their stones may exist but we may have to get them through outside means.

As for "Traditional" Depending if you count it, Torchic is catchable through the Pokewalker. So as a starter is has the easiest distribution. Its just insanely popular.

They don't really need a reason to distribute anything really, but giving circumstances, if the new Fire type isn't going to be a disappointment like Snivy, why release it? Maybe they just don't want the fan backlash that Snivy got after its info was revealed cause a lot of people were pissed, and even though it seems like Fennekin is going to become Fire/Psychic, they still haven't confirmed it. They can have her become a special Fire/Fighting with Psychic attacks since only two were used so far. Its not that unheard of for Fighting Types to be able to use a few psychic attacks.

Still hope Fennekin is Fire/Fairy more than either of the other two options despite my dislike for the Fairy type.
Old August 18th, 2013 (08:51 PM).
Vengeance is Vine

Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
I honestly want to be surprised! I just will not be able to resist if they are in the next corocoro tho

Why do I lack restraint!!??

My hope is that we get silhouettes in the next CoroCoro. If, for example, Chespin has a body shape that is rotund like Swampert or Emboar, I will get the idea, and shift to Fennekin. Yet, I would still have some surprise for whichever starter I picked. Same goes for other pokemon that have yet to have their evolution revealed. The only pokemon I really want to be revealed are the version exclusives, and their evo's. I mean, I don't have an extra $40 bucks to buy two version, I am a college student!

Artwork by Fairy+
Old August 21st, 2013 (04:41 PM).
The Rabbit Pokemon
CS

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Fenneking:
I honestly want to be surprised! I just will not be able to resist if they are in the next corocoro tho

Why do I lack restraint!!??

My hope is that we get silhouettes in the next CoroCoro. If, for example, Chespin has a body shape that is rotund like Swampert or Emboar, I will get the idea, and shift to Fennekin. Yet, I would still have some surprise for whichever starter I picked. Same goes for other pokemon that have yet to have their evolution revealed. The only pokemon I really want to be revealed are the version exclusives, and their evo's. I mean, I don't have an extra $40 bucks to buy two version, I am a college student!

Pretty much my feelings on this. At first, I was wondering what was taking so long for them to reveal them, but I am loving the suspense. I want to be surprised when I am traveling the region of Kalos and seeing what magnificent specimen that my starter will evolve into and have a reaction like "whoa!! that was totally unexpected". I do hope for the people that are curious that the silhouettes will be revealed in the next one, but I probably will avoid seeing them as I want to enjoy the element of surprise as I did not get to do while playing Black and White versions.

Showdown | The Treehouse | AMA
[22:04] +shaymin: so i tried to do my best morgan freeman impression and i kinda scared myself
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:40 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
If irc Unova's weren't officially revealed until the month before release, so it's likely these will follow suit. And perhaps Gf will want us to be surprised by the evolutions...
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:55 PM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
I really hope they come out before release, or I'm going to purposely not start my game until the evolutions are released online.

I'm expecting Grass/Rock, Fire/Psychic, and pure Water for their starter evolutions. Froakkie has shown the least evidence of having a secondary typing.
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:01 PM).
I always win.

Nature: Impish
I see 2 possibilities.

1: The starters don't evolve. Instead, they just Digivolve to mega forms.

2: Fennekin will be our 4th Fire/Fighting.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:05 PM).
dabbadeedabadai

Nature: Quiet
GameFreak has been focusing on other big news items, such as Fairy type and Mega Evolutions. If they would have revealed starter evolutions by now either they would have taken away from the press those other things got or they would have been drowned out by news already out.

Since there's nothing too big coming out in the next issue of Corocoro (that we know of at least!) I wouldn't be surprised if we at least got silhouettes. Or, we could just wait a couple months; unfortunately that's a lot harder than it sounds!
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:11 PM).
<3

Nature: Bashful
If I had a 3Ds and was going to get the game, I wouldn't want them revealed. The evolutions would make things interesting as the game went on. It's something to look forward too.
Old August 21st, 2013 (07:12 PM).

Quote originally posted by Emburn:
If I had a 3Ds and was going to get the game, I wouldn't want them revealed. The evolutions would make things interesting as the game went on. It's something to look forward too.
I would at least want them to reveal the typing. Just because I want to be sure that I can choose Fennekin and not have it turn into yet another Fire/Fighting type.
Old August 21st, 2013 (07:37 PM).

If we don't get more info by the time the game releases I'm sure that there will be tons online by the time I buy the game and start playing. I'm anxious to know though since I do want to do some planning.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links