• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Starter Pokémon

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I loved how Treecko looked so I would usually go with that one. Was just so much fun to use. xD It's still one of my favorites to use to this day. :3

JVS

The very best.
Years
The first time I played my pokémon Ruby version, I chose Treecko. I guess at that time, the anime was on and he was just to cool. But now, I prefer Mudkip. He is the cutest of them all, and I feel Torchic is as overated as Frozen is. So... Mudkip.

Years
Of the starters in RSE, I think Mudkip is the one i've chosen the most times out of all of them, with Torchic in second. I've only chose Treecko a few times, but i'm sure that will change in due time with ORAS since they all have Mega Evolutions.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 21, 2015
I picked Treecko for my current emerald playtrough and I'm satisfied with the progress the thing has made. I really like it's moveset as a grovyle right now and I think will get even better as it grows into sceptile.
I just kinda feel torchic and mudkip are overused. Though swampert looks kind badass

Years
Aw man, RSE are the only games where all the starters have been solid choices IMO. Treecko's currently my favorite, but they've all been at some point.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I picked Mudkip in my first Sapphire version because I thought it was the cutest thing ever, and it was the first quadrupedal Water-type starter, so I was really excited for that. The Mudkip line was actually my favorite for a while, but I've been using the Torchic line with almost every single RSE/ORAS playthrough since then, and Treecko's line as a close second. Mudkip does make me a little nostalgic though, but honestly I just don't think it's as cute as I once thought it was :(

Years
I tested All 3 but eaiest was mudkip and hardest was Torchic and at early game Treecko is so easy for win. Mudkip's nickname was MadFish, Torchic was CuteBird and Treecko was LeafLizard

Years
As a kid I chose Mudkip and named it "Muddy", as a 7 year old does. Treecko looked too much like a human with his arms and legs, and I hated Combusken's design, even meaning I would have to put up with it for 20 levels meant horror. I was relieved when I found a cute starter with a semi-natural looking design as a 7 year old boy. Now older, I love all three RSE starters, and believe that they've been the best starters yet both in aesthetics and gameplay. The other change is that I no longer give my Pokemon nicknames, and prefer them to keep their default name.
:t252: :t258: :t255:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
In Sapphire I picked Treecko. I had picked fire Pokemon in earlier games so I wanted to try a different type, I also liked Treecko's line the best.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 15, 2015
I had FireRed first, and my starter there was a Squirtle, named Squirt (hey, I was 7) and whithout knowing it, I was hooked on Water type. So, while I thought Blaziken was badass, I REALLY liked Swampert. And when I saw it's mega...

Years
I really like both Treecko and Mudkip. Swampert beats Sceptile but now with a Dragon Mega Evoltuion of Sceptile I am not sure anymore.
Anyway, I usually play with Mudkip. Mudkip just feels like a cool Pokemon for a cool region.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 16, 2015
First time I played I'm pretty sure I went with mudkip. Everytime I end up playing a 3rd gen now win, I wind up with torchic. Swampert (mudkip's final stage) is a good pokemon, but it's no match for combusken (torchic's final stage). Both powerful pokemon. Treecko is iffy, not bad but theirs too many grass pokemon. I always have a shroomish that i tend to evolve all the way (although it takes a while to train and tends to be behind)

Sirfetch’d

First playthrough I picked Torchic and do 90% of the time! It's by far my favorite starter of all time because of how ADORABLE it is <3 Not to mention Blaziken is extremely powerful and fun to use haha.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
The first time I played Ruby I picked Torchic. I loved it, and it stayed in my party throughout the game. When I started a new game in Emerald I just picked one starter at a time and traded it to Ruby so I could have all 3. XD

They're all awesome though. You have your pick of a leafy gecko dragon, a kickboxing flaming chicken, and a giant bulky mudskipper. What's not to like?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
In Saphire I chose Torchic but for Emerald I chose Mudkip because water types are my favorite and I decided it was much better than Torchic with all the water around and whatnot. I never nicknamed at that age though ;/

Years
I really wish I could find my copy of Sapphire so I could check for certain. :( But come to think of it, I think I ended up choosing Torchic. Almost certain of it. Unless I'm remembering wrong and I actually ended up going for mudkip.

But Torchic seems more like the choice I would have gone for, since I think it's absolutely adorable especially compared to the other two. Its evos are kind of "whatever", but I love Torchic.

(I might have also named it after an RP character of mine that was a also a Torchic. That's about the only way I remember that I probably did pick it, lol. I'm certain I used that name in a game of mine and that one makes the most sense!)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I owe a lot of my reignited love for pokemon in my Ruby playthrough from the Torchic starter. Torchic and its eventual evolution made me realize that there was such a thing as the fire-fighting type before i read about Infernape and Emboar.

But in all seriousness, the best starter of Gen 3 was probably Mudkip, which i picked up on another playthrough of Emerald. Swampert was such a really really strong pokemon back in Gen 3 for a lot of good reasons and it continued to be so.

Years
I've played through Hoenn extensively with each starter (sometimes all at once), but my very first playthrough was Mudkip. In Gold my favourite had been Cyndaquil, and before that I'd picked Bulbasaur in Blue. So I don't know if it was a conscious decision, to pick a Water type after going through Grass and Fire. But something appealed to me about Mudkip more than the other two, and having basically skipped over Quagsire's existence in Gold, it was awesome to me that my Water starter was totally immune to electricity.

Since back in those days Brendan/May didn't use their starter in its final stage, it really felt like Swampert was all the more powerful, given the lack of many trainers who use Grass-type Pokémon. That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation on my part, I know, but literally the first time I felt Swampert had a weakness was after completing the League, facing a level 100 Bellossom in the Battle Tower at level 75 and instantly fainting to a Giga Drain.

Back