• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Here's a weird one, current to version 7.

tl;dr: In a double battle (alongside a registered partner) the enemy became frozen, and my partner ALSO stopped taking turns.

Exact conditions:
Player's Pokemon was Finneon (Swift Swim ability, and Rain Dance attack was in effect). Partner Pokemon was Lotad (unsure of the ability), and was the second Pokemon in his party.
Opponents' Pokemon were Magby (fainted) and Elekid, frozen from Lotad's (Nature Power) Tri-Attack.
After Elekid was Frozen, Lotad stopped taking any turns either despite being in good condition. No "___ is frozen solid!" messages were displayed for either Elekid or Lotad. It just kept giving Finneon turns, and eventually Rain wore out.

Minor oddity, but still a bug, methinks.
I can somewhat replicate that, using Finneon/Lotad versus Magnemite/Geodude. Magnemite was fainted, and Geodude frozen. Both Finneon and Lotad can move, but there's no message saying Geodude is frozen solid (I don't know why, and that's a bug). The trainer could use a Full Restore instead of trying to attack with Geodude, though, so it's not that Geodude's move is being skipped.

What happened in the last turn when everyone could move? Had Magby been fainted for a while, or could it be because it was fainted (and the freezing was just a coincidence)?

EDIT: Got the poison/running error again.
I really don't know what's causing the problem. The poison-checking script is too simple to botch things up - as far as I can tell, it would only happen if the Pokémon was deleted when it survives poisoning with 1 HP (i.e. the Pokémon was set to the value 0, not its status). Have a look in PokemonField, line 1100, and see if you can spot anything unusual. If you can't, PM me the entire Events.onStepTakenTransferPossible procedure there.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I can somewhat replicate that, using Finneon/Lotad versus Magnemite/Geodude. Magnemite was fainted, and Geodude frozen. Both Finneon and Lotad can move, but there's no message saying Geodude is frozen solid (I don't know why, and that's a bug). The trainer could use a Full Restore instead of trying to attack with Geodude, though, so it's not that Geodude's move is being skipped.

What happened in the last turn when everyone could move? Had Magby been fainted for a while, or could it be because it was fainted (and the freezing was just a coincidence)?
The turns ends after the Geodude move? If this ends, try to replicate freezing a pokémon with more speed that the others in battle.

Years
Sometimes (e.g you use the player's pc) the speechframe-textbox doesn't appear correctly. But only at the diamond/pearl-textboxes.

speechframebug.png

Maruno

Years
Here's a weird one, current to version 7.

tl;dr: In a double battle (alongside a registered partner) the enemy became frozen, and my partner ALSO stopped taking turns.

Exact conditions:
Player's Pokemon was Finneon (Swift Swim ability, and Rain Dance attack was in effect). Partner Pokemon was Lotad (unsure of the ability), and was the second Pokemon in his party.
Opponents' Pokemon were Magby (fainted) and Elekid, frozen from Lotad's (Nature Power) Tri-Attack.
After Elekid was Frozen, Lotad stopped taking any turns either despite being in good condition. No "___ is frozen solid!" messages were displayed for either Elekid or Lotad. It just kept giving Finneon turns, and eventually Rain wore out.

Minor oddity, but still a bug, methinks.
tl;dr: Fixed it.

The problem has been around since version 3, when I added a move flag that denotes whether that move will thaw the user before using it (Sacred Fire/Flame Wheel/etc.). The code in the AI scripts that says "don't use a move that won't thaw yourself if you know one that will" is a bit wrong, and throws a wobbly, thereby skipping its turn and any later battlers.

To solve, go to PokeBattle_AI to line 1480. Make that say (move.flags&0x40)==0, and 3 lines further down, make that line say (m.flags&0x40)!=0.

It's my fault, as usual, for not checking what I do.

I just found out that the AI doesn't behave differently depending on the ownership of the Pokémon, when it should. That's something to do.

Sometimes (e.g you use the player's pc) the speechframe-textbox doesn't appear correctly. But only at the diamond/pearl-textboxes.

speechframebug.png
As far as I can tell, this effect will only occur in some of the PC menus (namely the ones where there's a description of the selected option).

I spent ages trying to fix that same effect in the Options screen text box. I ended up using a necessary evil to force it to redraw properly. The same solution applies here.

Go to PokemonMessages to line 926 (msgwin.text=blah). Add a line immediately after that saying msgwin.width=msgwin.width. While this looks like it'll do nothing, the very act of changing the width (even to the same value) forces the window to properly redraw itself.

Years
Thanks maruno, that work's fine. But i forgot to say, when you use the \sign textcommand on an event, then the same bug will appears. How can I fix that?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Waterfall and Dive cause the game to crash if you try to use them in Debug and don't have the badge for them. Kind of annoying since the earlier versions weren't like that. It is simple to work around it, but bothersome when testing the game, especially in the test maps since you can't really get the badges.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Sliding Ice

When you slide on ice, the camera is always offsetted when you stop sliding. It is a rather jarring effect

Maruno

Years
Waterfall and Dive cause the game to crash if you try to use them in Debug and don't have the badge for them. Kind of annoying since the earlier versions weren't like that. It is simple to work around it, but bothersome when testing the game, especially in the test maps since you can't really get the badges.
I can't replicate this. Can you provide as much information as you can about your problem?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
I can't replicate this. Can you provide as much information as you can about your problem?
I start up a new game in Playtest and travel to the water map. I go to surf and can't by simply pressing C by the shore. I have to manually surf by going to a specific pokemon in the party menu and telling them to surf. That works fine. But then you try to repeat the procedure next to a waterfall (you can't simply press C next to a waterfall either) and selecting Waterfall from a pokemon and it crashes.
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NameError

Message: undefined local variable or method `pbAscendWaterfall' for nil:NilClass

PokemonHiddenMoves:556

PokemonHiddenMoves:552:in `call'

PBEvent:150:in `trigger'

PokemonHiddenMoves:39:in `triggerUseMove'

PokemonHiddenMoves:968:in `pbUseHiddenMove'

PokemonPauseMenu:181:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

PokemonPauseMenu:142:in `loop'

PokemonPauseMenu:256:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

Scene_Map:188:in `call_menu'

Scene_Map:159:in `update'

Maruno

Years
I start up a new game in Playtest and travel to the water map. I go to surf and can't by simply pressing C by the shore. I have to manually surf by going to a specific pokemon in the party menu and telling them to surf. That works fine. But then you try to repeat the procedure next to a waterfall (you can't simply press C next to a waterfall either) and selecting Waterfall from a pokemon and it crashes.
That's really not a bug. I was assuming you had read the change log.

Essentials v7 change log said:
When using moves outside battle by interacting with something during Debug mode, Ctrl must be held to make it work if it otherwise wouldn't.
As for using Waterfall from the party screen causing a crash, that one is a bug. I've fixed it for the next release.

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
I updated my game to the newest version and now I seem to get this error.
Code:
Exception: RuntimeError
PokemonLoad:308:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
DebugIntro:6:in `main'
Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:15:in `mainFunction'
Main:15:in `pbCriticalCode'
Main:15:in `mainFunction'
Main:47
Main:46:in `loop'
Main:55
This happens when the game loads (after the menu) and it seems to be trying to start the game load and new game options but failing.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
ok ive recently noticed that some pokédex entries are too long nd can not be flly seen (namely the unown) is there a way to sort this without reducing the pokédex entry?

Maruno

Years
ok ive recently noticed that some pokédex entries are too long nd can not be flly seen (namely the unown) is there a way to sort this without reducing the pokédex entry?
The entries were generally taken from Emerald, and RSE entries are the longest of any game. The entry text box in Essentials is a couple of pixels narrower than the box in Emerald, but that is unlikely to make much of a difference. The main cause would be the font, which in Emerald is rather narrow but in Essentials is generally wider.

I would say the entries could stand to be rewritten so that they fit in the available space in any available font. I'm sure it's not difficult to do.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Okay, there's something about the recent release of essentials that bugs me.

When you add a new Pokémon, you have to make a new save before it can be added. This is because of the way forms currently work.

My own game is currently set up in a fashion where the demo does not have the entire Pokédex, but in a fashion where I'll be adding more with each release.. Essentially, think of it as update patches to include new Pokémon.

That said, I want saves from the demo to carry over to the final(And any future patches/new content I release for it), but the way it is now, this isn't possible, as i any new species are created and then given to the player, it crashes the game when they receive it.

For reference, the error is:
Code:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonUtilities:1246:in `pbSeenForm'
PokemonUtilities:1221:in `pbAddPokemon'
PokemonDebug:403:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonDebug:299:in `loop'
PokemonDebug:610:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonPauseMenu:242:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

Maruno

Years
Okay, there's something about the recent release of essentials that bugs me.

When you add a new Pokémon, you have to make a new save before it can be added. This is because of the way forms currently work.

My own game is currently set up in a fashion where the demo does not have the entire Pokédex, but in a fashion where I'll be adding more with each release.. Essentially, think of it as update patches to include new Pokémon.

That said, I want saves from the demo to carry over to the final(And any future patches/new content I release for it), but the way it is now, this isn't possible, as i any new species are created and then given to the player, it crashes the game when they receive it.

For reference, the error is:
Code:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonUtilities:1246:in `pbSeenForm'
PokemonUtilities:1221:in `pbAddPokemon'
PokemonDebug:403:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonDebug:299:in `loop'
PokemonDebug:610:in `pbDebugMenu'
PokemonPauseMenu:242:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Essentials works the way it's supposed to here. It's just not the way you want it to work.

To do what you want, go into PokeBattle_Trainer and find the last PBSpecies.maxValue in there. Change it to a big number (if you know how many Pokémon you'll end up having, use that number). That's it - new games created from then on will work properly even if extra species are then added (up to the number you used, of course).

If people are already playing your first demo and want to keep their saves, you should "patch" their $Trainer.formseen array immediately after loading a save to extend it to a new length if necessary. This isn't difficult to do.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Essentials works the way it's supposed to here. It's just not the way you want it to work.

To do what you want, go into PokeBattle_Trainer and find the last PBSpecies.maxValue in there. Change it to a big number (if you know how many Pokémon you'll end up having, use that number). That's it - new games created from then on will work properly even if extra species are then added (up to the number you used, of course).

If people are already playing your first demo and want to keep their saves, you should "patch" their $Trainer.formseen array immediately after loading a save to extend it to a new length if necessary. This isn't difficult to do.

Not many know how to use it.

Maruno

Years
Not many know how to use it.
It uses itself. Unless you're doing something strange (like releasing demos before deciding which Pokémon are to be in your game), there shouldn't be any problems.

The Pokédex page on the wiki now has some information about recording the seen forms, including pointing out when you might need to do something special.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
when i connect two maps in the vis. editor, they seemingly connect. when i go in game, there's black on the map, but i can walk there. its gets to a point and the map reappears, but returns to black when i repass!

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Help!

I just downloaded a new version of essentials and when I tried to start a game without changing anything, I got this.

Spoiler:

I also am having a problem with pokerus. I'm not sure what i changed that is affecting it. Whenever I try to see a pokemon's summary I get this:

Spoiler:

And whenever I defeat a wild pokemon I get this:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back