• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
What could we possibly use as food source now in times of a zombie Apocalypse? My Zombieland survival guide says that it's twinkies or nothing!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
They were proably pissed over the fact that the company executives voted themselves massive pay raises and better benefits packages before deciding to cut the workers pay and benefits.
Well, tough. Life's not fair. It's not right, but those were the circumstances. Should have played within it instead of trying to call their bluff.

I'm sure they're more pissed that they are now unemployed.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
They were proably pissed over the fact that the company executives voted themselves massive pay raises and better benefits packages before deciding to cut the workers pay and benefits.

Exactly. Why are the workers a "NUISANCE" for demanding fair pay and benefits and not the actual problem (greedy COs)? If anything is a nuisance it's the corporate greed plaguing America.

On the bright side it's less crap being produced.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Well, tough. Life's not fair. It's not right, but those were the circumstances. Should have played within it instead of trying to call their bluff.

I'm sure they're more pissed that they are now unemployed.

If the executives actually gave a damn about the company they wouldn't have given themselves raises in time of fiscal distress.

The executives didn't care. They decided to take the company for what they could, before abandoning ship. While the strike is what put the last nail in the coffin, the company is using the Unions as a scapegoat so people will ignore the fact that it was management that built the coffin, and put more then half of the nails in.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
If the executives actually gave a damn about the company they wouldn't have given themselves raises in time of fiscal distress.

The executives didn't care. They decided to take the company for what they could, before abandoning ship. While the strike is what put the last nail in the coffin, the company is using the Unions as a scapegoat so people will ignore the fact that it was management that built the coffin, and put more then half of the nails in.

That's the free market, though. If a union wants to strike, then they should understand that it could mean that they'll lose their jobs.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years

Well, I think the media is using the union as a scapegoat more than the management is. Management has actually said that they are at fault as well, could have done more and been more proactive, and misread the situation overall (re: knockoffs and healthier snacks).

As much as the Republicans might have been esposing throughout the election the notion of "job creators", that's really not why you have a business. It is to make money for youself, not to provide jobs for others.

With that said though, I agree with you. And, personally, I would cut my own pay before (and/or in additon to) that of my staff. But, they're under no obligation to do so. So, I don't think I can really fault them. Perhaps simply for optics. But in the long-run I don't think it would have changed anything.

Whatever the events leading up to it, the company said they can't afford a strike. The union (one of them. Heck, if Teamsters settled, why on earth couldn't the other one?) tried to call their bluff. That was stupid. Whatever morale argument they were trying to put forward (the union, more than the employees. Employees wanted to work and were trying to cross picket lines to save their jobs), just cost them their livelihoods. And in this economy? Way to go. Would not be surprised if those workers never want to have a union job again.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The strike was a boon for management really.

You are right though, long run the company was screwed mainly due to poor management decisions. The strike just sped things up by half a year or so. The sad thing is that most people are blaming the Union for this, when it was really poor management that killed the company.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
we can bailout cars but not a twinkie US come on

The auto industry reached much much further then this snack company did. That and twinkies have numerous knockoffs that taste exactly alike, pretty much a diffrient generic for every big food chain.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
The auto industry reached much much further then this snack company did. That and twinkies have numerous knockoffs that taste exactly alike, pretty much a diffrient generic for every big food chain.

The auto industry is in distress because foreign companies sell better cars for lower prices. Again, the unions are keeping manufacturing costs high.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I didn't even read your post. I read the title of your thread, crapped myself, and now I'm crying in the fetal position struggling to type this message.

....Twinkies. You will be missed.

???-2012

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
More specifically, union benefits - not wages. Toyota, which isn't unionized offers comparable/greater wages

Union benefits are only for union members. American auto workers must choose between more take-home pay, or having union dues deducted from their paychecks in order to receive more generous benefits and retirement packages.

Crux

Evermore
Years
1353258036Tmbwyj.jpg

I never tried a twinkie, I was curious as to why so many people loved them and intended to eat one just to see...but i'm not that heartbroken.

As for the jobs...the U.S. is already sinking for fault of the economy, and sadly, this is just another hole in the ship.

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
I'm actually in Operations management and we were talking about this.. The reason why sales slumped was because not only the viewpoint of twinkies and how only fattys eat them but we no longer have them with our morning coffees. Theyre virtually useless besides childrens lunches

Years
Funny how last week Hostess admitted to re-directing employee's benefit money for other purposes. Meaning they basically stole from their own employee's and re-directed some of the money to other corporate projects or causes. This (Along with stiff competition, shrinking markets, etc) is why they went out of business people.

Back