• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Rocka210

The Code Never Bothered Me Anyway
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 29, 2015
Thank you much :D
It worked!

New question about the same script. When the 2nd script starts, I get random letters. Is this a result of not inserting it properly.
(Look at last post of mine to see screenshots to see if I inserted it incorrectly)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Thank you much :D
It worked!

New question about the same script. When the 2nd script starts, I get random letters. Is this a result of not inserting it properly.
(Look at last post of mine to see screenshots to see if I inserted it incorrectly)

It looks like you've done it right, but it is hard to tell - try recompiling with fresh offsets and insert it again following the level tutorial ^^

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
How am I editing the first map of the game? ( e/r/s )
With Advancemap, you don't map with XSE. You can via semi-complex scripts, but not in the way you want to do it (or at least, not in a way that would be practical).

If you want to know how to add scripts to the first map, read the first couple post, they will tell you everything.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
With Advancemap, you don't map with XSE. You can via semi-complex scripts, but not in the way you want to do it (or at least, not in a way that would be practical).

If you want to know how to add scripts to the first map, read the first couple post, they will tell you everything.

I mean whitch script do that after you chhose your name . the game know to send you for the van and no ohter map.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
I have been trying to follow this and a few other tutorials but for some reason I just can't do it and it is making me really mad. It's a good tutorial I just have alot of trouble with it as I am new.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
Could anyone tell me what's wrong with this script? It freezes when I activate it.

Spoiler:

Years
Code:
#dynamic [B]0x800000[/B]

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x825
if 0x1 goto @runshoes
msgbox @msg 0x6
applymovement 0x04 @move
applymovement 0xFF @move1
applymovement 0x04 @move2
applymovement 0xFF @move3
[B]waitmovement 0x0[/B]
msgbox @msg1 0x6
applymovement 0x04 @move4
[B]waitmovement 0x0[/B]
release
end

#org @runshoes
msgbox @msg2 0x6
fanfare 0x13E
[B]preparemsg @msg3
waitmsg[/B]
waitfanfare
msgbox @msg4 0x6
setflag 0x82F
release
end

#org @msg
= Hold up!

#org @msg1
= You don't have this towns\nbadge!\lIt could be difficult ahead\lwithout that badge!\pYou should probably visit\lthe gym!

#org @msg2
= Oh! I see you have the\nRainbow Badge!\pHere, take these, they could\lbe useful during your\ljourney!

#org @msg3
= [player] recieved the Running Shoes!\p[player] put on the Running Shoes.

#org @msg4
= Think of these as my gift\nto you for beating Erika.

#org @move
#raw 0xC
[B]#raw 0xFE[/B]

#org @move1
#raw 0xE
[B]#raw 0xFE[/B]

#org @move2
#raw 0x2
[B]#raw 0xFE[/B]

#org @move3
#raw 0x3
[B]#raw 0xFE[/B]

#org @move4
#raw 0x9
#raw 0x0
[B]#raw 0xFE[/B]

Okay, I've made some amendments to your script.

Firstly, DON'T put random numbers for the offset. Just use #dynamic 0x800000. When you compile your script, XSE will automatically find and insert the script at an offset with enough free space; you literally only have to copy and paste the first offset it gives you and put it in Advance Map.

After using the applymovement command, you need to use waitmovement 0x0; it makes your script run smoother.

I changed the "obtain running shoes" part a little for professionalism's sake, but what you had would've worked.

Movement #orgs always need #raw 0xFE at the end to notify the end of that set of movements.

Now, your script is probably freezing because of the settings in Advance Map. Click on the Script tile and set the first Unknown to $03, and the Var number to $4050. Save the map; after you've done all that it should work.

Peresozo

Trainer
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Aug 16, 2012
Could anyone tell me what's wrong with this script? It freezes when I activate it.

Spoiler:

It migth be that the movement is not done put #raw 0xFE after each movement see if it workd lol im jst starting with scripting but try tht if doesnt then i cant help u lol but try tht

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
Thanks for the help, Spherical Ice, but one of two problems now occur:

- The script isn't activated at all, the guy teleports on a building
- The game freezes, the guy teleports on a building

Years
ive been studying this prgram for about a week and i have tried to ccombine some scripts. basically what im trying to do is getting you to walk up to your mom, and she tells you how proud she is of you. she gives you some items and your off. for some reason, the script event on advanced map isnt working, and i gave it the var # and unkown code. whats wrong with this?

#dynamic 0x800100
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @2 0x6
checkflag 0x201
if 0x1 goto @take
release
end
#org @done
lock
faceplayer
Msgbox @3 0x6
release
end
#org @move1
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE
#org @take
lock
faceplayer
Giveitem 0xD 0x5 MSG_OBTAIN
Msgbox @4 0x6
release
end
#org @1
= Hey \v\h01, come here.
#org @2
= Todays the big day that\nyou get your first pokemon!\pI'm so proud of you that\nyou are starting your own\ladventure!\phere are some items that\nwill help you!
#org @3
= See you later!
#org @4
= thats every trainers friend.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
Nothing said after battle

I have a trainer battle script (my first working one). The trainer see's me, walks up to me, says his text, and we battle. After we finish he says nothing, and also says nothing when i "talk" to him after battle, but he does look in my direction.

Here is my script.

'-----------------------
#org 0x2872F7
trainerbattle 0x0 0x24 0x0 0x828730E 0x828733C
msgbox 0x8287355 '"I'm going to take on \nthe champion..."
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x28730E
= I have the best Rattata\nin the whole world!

#org 0x28733C
= How did i loose to you?

#org 0x287355
= I'm going to take on \nthe champion one day.

Also, is it normal for my script to look like this after i compile/save it? Before i compiled it it looked different.

Cloyster93

who's gun is this rifle?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 24, 2015
ive been studying this prgram for about a week and i have tried to ccombine some scripts. basically what im trying to do is getting you to walk up to your mom, and she tells you how proud she is of you. she gives you some items and your off. for some reason, the script event on advanced map isnt working, and i gave it the var # and unkown code. whats wrong with this?

#dynamic 0x800100
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @2 0x6
checkflag 0x201
if 0x1 goto @take
release
end
#org @done
lock
faceplayer
Msgbox @3 0x6
release
end
#org @move1
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE
#org @take
lock
faceplayer
Giveitem 0xD 0x5 MSG_OBTAIN
Msgbox @4 0x6
release
end
#org @1
= Hey \v\h01, come here.
#org @2
= Todays the big day that\nyou get your first pokemon!\pI'm so proud of you that\nyou are starting your own\ladventure!\phere are some items that\nwill help you!
#org @3
= See you later!
#org @4
= thats every trainers friend.

I'm by no means an amazing scripter, but I don't think that if you've used a script box that you can use the 'lock' or 'faceplayer' commands.

Instead of 'lock' use 'lockall' and instead of faceplayer, use movements to get the mother to be where you want her to be.

I think that should work.

Also, when you use 'applymovement 0xFF' the next line needs to be 'waitmovement 0xFF'. In your script you've put 'applymovement 0xFF' and 'waitmovement 0x0'.

I'm writing this on my phone, so it's a little difficult to see if there's anything else wrong with the script.

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge will be able to help you if what i've said turns out to be untrue. :)

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I have a trainer battle script (my first working one). The trainer see's me, walks up to me, says his text, and we battle. After we finish he says nothing, and also says nothing when i "talk" to him after battle, but he does look in my direction.

Here is my script.

'-----------------------
#org 0x2872F7
trainerbattle 0x0 0x24 0x0 0x828730E 0x828733C
msgbox 0x8287355 '"I'm going to take on \nthe champion..."
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x28730E
= I have the best Rattata\nin the whole world!

#org 0x28733C
= How did i loose to you?

#org 0x287355
= I'm going to take on \nthe champion one day.

Also, is it normal for my script to look like this after i compile/save it? Before i compiled it it looked different.
Don't worry, that's how XSE interprets your script after you compile. It's natural that it looks that way.

Also, for your problem, you've to set the message type in your 'msgbox' command (i.e. 0x6 ; 0x5 ...etc).

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
ok, i retyped my script in, this is what it looked like before XSE compiled it.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
trainerbattle 0x0 0x024 0x0 @before @after
msgbox @beaten 0x6
release
end

#org @before
= text

#org @after
= text

#org @beaten
= text

I use XSE text adjuster so i don't think the text was the problem
Do i need to re-add the 0x6 after compiling it

Echidna

Years
That's a perfect script. I guess you have but one way to approach this issue, change the offset. Use FSF to get a free offset, instead of depending on XSE to compile the script in the very next automatic free space area, which I've found to cause problems sometimes (:

If that doesn't work, check to see if you're using the newest version of XSE.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
I have been using FSF for my offset, which i put in replacement for the 80000

so maybe i need a newer version of XSE, but i have been searching and it appears that i do :/

File version 1.0.0.0
Product Version 1.00

Echidna

Years
I have no idea which version is the newest, did you get it from HM's toolbox?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I have been using FSF for my offset, which i put in replacement for the 80000

so maybe i need a newer version of XSE, but i have been searching and it appears that i do :/

File version 1.0.0.0
Product Version 1.00

Here's a link to XSE 1.1.1, the newest one available.

Back