• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Tilemap Creator

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

Tilemap Creator

Hello, everyone! Today I present to you the Tilemap Creator!

What does it do? Simple, really. Tilemap Creator is as the name suggests: a tilemap editor. It can take any tileset, and turn it into a tilemap. If you want, it can even remove duplicated tiles!

Features

- Tileset Creation - turn an image into a tileset and tilemap!
- All GBA tilemap formats supported
- Tileset Indexing - 16 or 256 colors
- Tileset Palette Exporting

Images

Spoiler:

Download

Old, Slow Version: Here
Latest Version: Here

Source

Check out the repository on GitHub.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think it just takes an image splits it into 8x8 pixel squares and removes duplicate squares, so you're left with a tileset.
You can do the same thing with sphere if you follow this tutorial. It would be nice if it had some unique features as well.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
So, you're saying this'll pretty much rip the mess out of tiles with ease? Does it do insertion as well, or?

Yep, this just rips up an image into tiles. I made this program because Sphere stopped working on my computer, and I wanted this function.

Right now, that's the only thing it can do, but I think it would be nice if I added some stuff like insertion in the future, so we'll see. Who knows what the future holds?

On another note, I updated the program. Basically, it just speeds up some of the drawing stuff. Enjoy!

Wait!

Okay, I'm stupid. Just so the few people who actually download this know, I messed up a single line in the code that cuts off some of the tiles. So I've removed the download.

Anyway, since I just can't leave this thing as simply a tileset creator, I've decided to go the whole way and change it to a full-blown tilemap editor.

Basically, it now not only rips apart images, it also reconstructs the tilemap from the image!

Here's what it looks like.
Spoiler:

So... I'll just put the download up when I finish it for those that are interested.

Last edited:

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
A nice function would be to specify the borders around the tilemap, because sphere can't do that and just inserts it in the corner.. Also, I haven't yet tested it, but it does support flipped tiles, right? Just to be sure.
Also, I would like it if I could assign a palette to a tile in the tileset, and it gets fully done in the palettemap, not one by one.

Anyways, imo this tool has a great future!

Edit: Just found out sphere doesn't support flipping tiles. If this does, then it'll be a reason for lots of people to use this!
(if you don't understand it:
oya9mCW.png
this image, 16 by 16 pixels, gets splitted into four 8 by 8 tiles, while it could be just one tile, flipped horizontally, vertically, and both. I really need this myself, because when I try to edit a 256 colour image in ntme-8BPP mode, it says my sphere tileset has too many tiles.)

Last edited:

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Is this for use with rom hacking? If so, then this is amazing.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Oh noes! Not the .NET 4.5!
(Mono sucks on Linux)

Will we be seeing the source any time soon? I really think that tools need to start open-sourcing more because as soon as the content creator leaves town we're pretty much screwed for updates/ports/bugs/ASM *cough*A-Map*cough*. Plus it allows for people to improve on the code and learn.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Oh noes! Not the .NET 4.5!
(Mono sucks on Linux)

Will we be seeing the source any time soon? I really think that tools need to start open-sourcing more because as soon as the content creator leaves town we're pretty much screwed for updates/ports/bugs/ASM *cough*A-Map*cough*. Plus it allows for people to improve on the code and learn.

I've been considering releasing the source code, or at least parts of it. I definitely agree with you on the value of sharing it.

On the other hand I have some good news! I figured out how to index images, so now the program can index your tileset for you! Awesome!

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
So much more convenient than using Sphere for this. I am patiently waiting a release :)

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
I've been considering releasing the source code, or at least parts of it. I definitely agree with you on the value of sharing it.

On the other hand I have some good news! I figured out how to index images, so now the program can index your tileset for you! Awesome!

If you would like, I would be willing to have a look at your code and fix your bug for you. I am also interested to see how you've gone about prioritizing your colors.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
If you would like, I would be willing to have a look at your code and fix your bug for you. I am also interested to see how you've gone about prioritizing your colors.

Well so far there aren't any bugs of note in the program, which is a plus. But I appreciate the offer.

For prioritizing colors, I don't. My indexing is quite simple, I just go off the first 16 colors that I find that are radically different from the previous.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Okay, I'm stupid. Just so the few people who actually download this know, I messed up a single line in the code that cuts off some of the tiles. So I've removed the download.

Anyway, since I just can't leave this thing as simply a tileset creator, I've decided to go the whole way and change it to a full-blown tilemap editor.

Basically, it now not only rips apart images, it also reconstructs the tilemap from the image!

Here's what it looks like.
Spoiler:

So... I'll just put the download up when I finish it for those that are interested.

;^; But I need the thing because of reasons.

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Okay, so I'm making a town map for my hack, and I think this tool would help me a lot if it had two features:
1. Rotated tiles, like I mentioned earlier, but I forgot they don't even work in 8BPP mode.
2. I don't know if this is possible, but still: the original FR town map is 16 colours, but uses three different palettes: water, land&route-towns-the yellow close sign.
My map, however, is in dp style with personal additions, so it has around 30-40 colours, and things like rounded route edges. My question is: would it be possible to let the game automatically split it into 1-16 palettes, like land&water-town-straight route-route with land corner-water route with water corner-etc... so I don't have to do it myself, becuse it would take quite a lot time. I hope you understand.

Frosty~

Pancakes are a girl's BFF
Years
  • Seen Jan 10, 2021
COULD YOU PLS PUT THE DOWNLOAD LINK BACK IN THE THREAD!!{<3}{<3}

Well, she said she was going to put the download link back when she finished making it a tile map editor by adding more features to it. She's not done yet i.e. no download link.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Update!

Okay everyone, I come here today with an new and improved version of Tileset Creator, which I call Tilemap Creator! It had all the awesomeness that was in the original, but now it also creates tilemaps and can even index your image for you! Awesome!

The download can be found on the first post.

Well, she said she was going to put the download link back when she finished making it a tile map editor by adding more features to it. She's not done yet i.e. no download link.

Also, just to clear up any confusion, I am a "he." ;)

Frosty~

Pancakes are a girl's BFF
Years
  • Seen Jan 10, 2021
Update!

Okay everyone, I come here today with an new and improved version of Tileset Creator, which I call Tilemap Creator! It had all the awesomeness that was in the original, but now it also creates tilemaps and can even index your image for you! Awesome!

The download can be found on the first post.

Also, just to clear up any confusion, I am a "he." ;)

Sorry, your avatar picture mislead me to think you are a female. Haha ha

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
I think it would be nice if the "palette tile editor" had an "select area" function. You just select your area (something like selecting in any photo software) and change every tile in this selection to the one you choose :)

daniilS

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
I tried it. Works fine, but still doesn't support horizontal/vertical flip. I will really need this feature when creating more than one townmap for my hack.

Back