• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That was Inappropriate, Team Rocket!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Besides the obvious (James in a Bikini with inflatable breasts), what did you find rather "inappropriate for children"(tm) in the Pokemon Anime?

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Other than that inflatable breasts scene, I don't really find anything inappropriate in what Team Rocket did. However, I always found Brock's girl-hunting scenes inappropriate for kids show. I am really surprised 4Kids didn't cut them off. However, it got even bigger inappropriate dimension in AG, where it was 7 years old boy who was the one to got Brock straight. That was really uncalled for IMO.
Also, Pokémon Showcase is quite inappropriate for kids show IMO. I mean a show where girls only - most of which not only underaged, but also preteen - showing themselves and fighting for popularity is really as sexist as every Miss show I can come with and I really don't think such a thing is appropriate in kids show in 2010s, say what you want.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
In Here Comes the Squirtle Squad, you see a shopkeeper with a shotgun which 4Kids didn't censor surprisingly.

In the Japanese version of The Double Trouble Header, Brock says that Casey would be a lot of fun in eight years.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Other than that inflatable breasts scene, I don't really find anything inappropriate in what Team Rocket did. However, I always found Brock's girl-hunting scenes inappropriate for kids show. I am really surprised 4Kids didn't cut them off. However, it got even bigger inappropriate dimension in AG, where it was 7 years old boy who was the one to got Brock straight. That was really uncalled for IMO.
Also, Pokémon Showcase is quite inappropriate for kids show IMO. I mean a show where girls only - most of which not only underaged, but also preteen - showing themselves and fighting for popularity is really as sexist as every Miss show I can come with and I really don't think such a thing is appropriate in kids show in 2010s, say what you want.

You forgot to mention the infamous scene in Brave the Wave where May stripped in front of company. Look, even ignoring that she did it off-screen, Max's shocked reaction and trying to tell May to stop should have been a very big hint as to what she actually did (she didn't merely have a bikini underneath. If she did, why would Max be so concerned? He's her younger brother after all, and probably the only person besides their parents to know the most about her, so he would have known she wears one underneath and thus not at all be concerned.). Honestly, I'm surprised that episode didn't get banned due to that scene.

Heck, practically all the girls starting with May were inappropriate, thanks to what Masamitsu Hidaka said about one of the primary motivations for replacing the girls each generation was. Did I mention that these girls, including Misty, are all 10 years old, pre-teens in other words? Using them for sexual fanservice is just disgusting.

I can't speak for the showcase bits, but I most certainly agree with the Brock bits. And quite frankly, it paints us heterosexual males in an extremely bad light. It's already bad enough that Glenn Quagmire does the same things if not worse behavior on Family Guy (and that's at least geared towards grown-ups.). And the only thing even worse than that is how we heterosexual males are almost expected to act like that, as otherwise, we must be gay, like what happened in Dragon Ball Z regarding General Blue and how Bulma and Krillin deduced he was gay simply because he didn't have the hots for Bulma at all, not whether he actually HAD any attraction to the same sex (which let's face it, during that battle, there was nothing he said that even implied he had a crush on Krillin or Goku).

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Heck, practically all the girls starting with May were inappropriate, thanks to what Masamitsu Hidaka said about one of the primary motivations for replacing the girls each generation was. Did I mention that these girls, including Misty, are all 10 years old, pre-teens in other words? Using them for sexual fanservice is just disgusting.
Sorry, but Misty was the skimpiest clad from all of Ash's girl companions, with her really short shorts and shirt which revealed her navel, so I daresay starting with Misty. But otherwise, I agree with you, this fanservice, which is actually loliservice or paedoservice, is quite disgusting.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
No mention of that Kangaskhan episode with the wild boy asking Misty about her breasts in the Japanese version? That one was definitely inappropriate.

Sorry, but Misty was the skimpiest clad from all of Ash's girl companions, with her really short shorts and shirt which revealed her navel, so I daresay starting with Misty. But otherwise, I agree with you, this fanservice, which is actually loliservice or paedoservice, is quite disgusting.

The U.N. has attempted to get Japan to ban sexual content of underaged girls in anime/manga, as well as video games, but a female Japanese representative rejected the proposal, because the characters are fictional, so therefore it's not a big deal.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Actually, Misty was not all that skimpy. I'd argue that Dawn's outfit was even skimpier (as it would take a little breeze to reveal the undergarments, possibly even less). Besides, we don't actually see her navel. In fact, we barely even SEE her stomach at all. We saw a lot more of Kim Possible's gut than Misty's gut. That's a fact. And also, she was wearing suspenders (if they wanted to sexualize her, drop the suspenders outright, and actually have her pants be very low-hung to see her panties, like that awful fashion trend back in the 2000s). Now, if you were talking Misty from Electric Tale of Pikachu, especially in the Japanese version, yes, I'll agree that she was definitely sexualized (and quite frankly, I hated the Takeshi Ono manga for that and other reasons even if they did at least have the decency to age her up a bit unlike with May.). Heck, they don't even need to go that far, just have Misty wearing a bikini 24/7 just like in the Pokemon games. Compared to the games, Misty's wearing a nun's outfit. It was only starting with May that they actually ramped up with the fanservice (and you can't deny that, considering they gave her that huge rack despite explicitly being listed as 10 years old. 14 or 16, I can buy, but 10? Sorry, but even early bloomers generally don't have their breast sizes grow THAT quickly). Say what you will, at least Misty didn't take off her clothes in front of everyone and have someone react as if they actually stripped naked while she was doing it.

No mention of that Kangaskhan episode with the wild boy asking Misty about her breasts in the Japanese version? That one was definitely inappropriate.

Probably, but in all fairness, it was accurate, since the point of female breasts is to nurse. I'd argue the bit about Tommy's dad asking if Tommy, after getting over his amnesia, "remembered Papa" by opening up his shirt (before Misty mercifully put an end to the nonsense by dragging him off after knocking him off) was a LOT more inappropriate in more ways than one (for starters, dads don't breast-feed. And anyways, I didn't even NEED to know Japanese to know what was going on there).

The U.N. has attempted to get Japan to ban sexual content of underaged girls in anime/manga, as well as video games, but a female Japanese representative rejected the proposal, because the characters are fictional, so therefore it's not a big deal.

Just because something's fictional doesn't mean it's "not a big deal," especially if it's corruptive to minors. The Matrix trilogy is fictional, for example, yet the messages pushed in that film have resulted in it becoming rather infamous for coining a subset of the Insanity Plea known as "The Matrix Defense" after some nutjobs took the messages of the film seriously (and based on what the Wachowskis stated about their pushing armies of anthropomorphisms in future films and some of their statements, these messages were intentional). Heck, ever read Jean-Jacques Rousseau's "Emile: or on Education?", that was a huge crock of fiction, yet he intended for it to be the inspiration for education, which his followers all but took to heart. Also Voltaire, whose works were fictitious yet he deliberately intended for them to be a way to destroy the church (and came very close to succeeding back during the French Revolution). Though I must admit, considering the Marxist leanings of the U.N. and how much they pushed for lawlessness among other things, I'm surprised that the U.N. even bothered to ban sexual content in Japan regarding underage minors. Knowing them, I would have expected them to actively support such trash.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Sorry Weedle, but IMO Misty actually was a prototype of this, which they actually took on new level with Ash's future girl companions. Still the sexualization, though not as apparent, is there with long bare legs, short shorts and quite a revealing shirt.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Sorry Weedle, but IMO Misty actually was a prototype of this, which they actually took on new level with Ash's future girl companions. Still the sexualization, though not as apparent, is there with long bare legs, short shorts and quite a revealing shirt.

No, she's definitely not that in the Anime. The games, possibly due to her wearing nothing but a bikini (though considering you fought her at an Olympic swimming pool, that's at least justified), and certainly Electric Tale of Pikachu, but not the anime, and I'd know if she were the prototype, because the episode Princess vs. Princess taught me to be VERY wary of the Hina stereotypes regarding that mob of Fiorella Cappuccino fangirls, plus the events of Love Hina, Battle Vixens, and the like and how the girls were depicted like that. If Misty truly was to be that, they would have given her that kind of fanservice treatment a LONG time ago, like I don't know, actually HAVING her be stark naked without a towel in Riddle Me This while she was by herself in that onsen instead of continuing to wear the towel even when, Togepi aside, there was absolutely no one else in her side of the onsen (and don't give me the whole "it's a kids show" as a reason why they didn't. Ignoring the bit from Brave the Wave where May stripped in front of company despite it clearly being inappropriate for kids, Dragon Ball, another Shonen anime, got away with PLENTY of nudity of both male and female despite it being geared towards the same age bracket as Pokémon. If they could get away with that, they most certainly can do so with Pokémon.). Heck, even Takeshi Shudo admitted they removed Misty because she wasn't "girl enough" for their tastes, and considering what that led to, I'd argue that she barely got much fanservice.

And that shirt was barely even all that revealing, really. Kim Possible's tank top was far more revealing than Misty's shirt, especially when the stomach was barely even visible. And those shorts weren't too short. If they were, we'd be seeing her lower butt cheeks by now, at the very least. And legs? Last I checked, we've all got legs even when bare, and it allows us to be mobile, so it's not really sexualization there.

I think I've thought of another inappropriate instance in the Anime: Jessie and James cross-dressing (I mean in general, not just the infamous one from Beauty and the Beach).

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Just because something's fictional doesn't mean it's "not a big deal," especially if it's corruptive to minors. The Matrix trilogy is fictional, for example, yet the messages pushed in that film have resulted in it becoming rather infamous for coining a subset of the Insanity Plea known as "The Matrix Defense" after some nutjobs took the messages of the film seriously (and based on what the Wachowskis stated about their pushing armies of anthropomorphisms in future films and some of their statements, these messages were intentional). Heck, ever read Jean-Jacques Rousseau's "Emile: or on Education?", that was a huge crock of fiction, yet he intended for it to be the inspiration for education, which his followers all but took to heart. Also Voltaire, whose works were fictitious yet he deliberately intended for them to be a way to destroy the church (and came very close to succeeding back during the French Revolution). Though I must admit, considering the Marxist leanings of the U.N. and how much they pushed for lawlessness among other things, I'm surprised that the U.N. even bothered to ban sexual content in Japan regarding underage minors. Knowing them, I would have expected them to actively support such trash.

Then I suppose that means the entire concept of Pokémon is wrong because it promotes animal abuse, as you have two animals fighting each other for entertainment (and the subject is even tackled on in Gen 5), not to meant to work of the devil because of its "subliminal" messages with its Pokémon designs and trainer designs.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Then I suppose that means the entire concept of Pokémon is wrong because it promotes animal abuse, as you have two animals fighting each other for entertainment (and the subject is even tackled on in Gen 5), not to meant to work of the devil because of its "subliminal" messages with its Pokémon designs and trainer designs.

If it's confirmed by the guys who made the games and the anime to be such, then yes, it does mean that. Though that being said, since there's nothing directly confirming as much, we can't necessarily assume any of that is indeed the case and gets into speculation.

Now, Metal Gear being extremely anti-American and critical of American foreign policy? That's different, because Kojima and several of his staff more than made it perfectly clear they wanted to bash America in multiple sources, not to mention the anti-Americanism in the games is so obvious they practically hammer you with it by the gameplay and the dialogue. If we get any direct confirmation from, say, Satoshi Tajiri where he openly admits it was meant to promote animal abuse or that it contained subliminal satanic teachings, like how Kojima openly admitted to the Metal Gear games being a critique on America here: http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ojima-interview-metal-gear-solid-phantom-pain THEN we're talking.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I think the scene in "The ghost of maiden's peak" where Brock talks about how summer was wasted because he didn't see any girls in bathing suits in inappropriate.

EDIT: come to think of it, all of that episode.

Last edited:
Back