• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Riders - A High Fantasy Dragon Riding RP

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
5XbRnXO.png

IE5CYC9.png

cup-and-talon.regular.png

A detailed high fantasy RP set in an original World. Players take the role of a human, elf or dwarf whom has come across a dragon egg. A race thought to be long extinct from the World, Dragons are vastly intelligent and quick to grow creatures that reach a state of mortal intelligence after just three weeks. There are only ever a handful of Dragons at a time and each represents an aspect of the natural world. The dragons possess powerful magical abilities that they can impart onto their Riders. Dragons and Riders are mentally linked and share a powerful, intimate bond. They can transfer thoughts, images and emotions to one another across entire cities if need be. The player characters are the next generation of dragon riders, finding their eggs centuries after the last generation disappeared and faded into legend. Trained by an old mentor and the last experienced rider around, the fledgling warriors are sent on a grand quest across Nobillis to discover the fate of the last generation and to establish a presence over the land in order to assert themselves into their rightful positions as rulers of the people and keepers of the peace.

But dark forces lie in wait, not everyone is so ready to fall under the Riders authority and the dark forces that once caused the warrior legions disappearance now stir once again, to finish the job they started.

Players will control two characters over the course of the RP. Their rider and their dragon, the dragons are more than intelligent enough to possess sentience and full personality of their own and the RP aims to bring a new style of writing about for some by presenting a situation in which a player must control two entities whom are constantly linked through telepathic means.

The RP will consist of mission like segments which can follow a main story or be created by the player themselves for character development. The Riders and their Dragons will live in their central base and fly out into the World to various locations as the RP progresses with many side plots and extra stories to follow and explore. In this way the RP takes on a hybrid sandbox/linear approach to story telling, with players able to follow along intently with the main plot, or diverge at any point and create their own stories to interweave and interact with others.

Various fantasy novels, most notably:
The Lord of the Rings
The Wardstone Chronicles
and The Inheritance Trilogy (Rather obviously for those whom have read these books.)

Games such as The Elder Scrolls and Dragons Dogma also gave a major influence.

Probably some anime. What can I say, I'm a weeb.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer in turn.​

Years
As you already know, I'm really interested in the RP and I'm a huge fan of the story and settings found in the Inheritance Cycle and Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm not totally sure if I can commit to another RP though.

Etherion

ohhh! ^^ I used to have this huuuugee obession with dragons! last year, during the NaNoWriMo period I was planning an entry on dragons, which was heavily inspired by DnD and HtTyD! ^^

this RP sounds amazing jay! i'm an avid fantasy reader, so I'm pumped if this becomes a real thing~

Years
Sounds fun. I've always preferred animalistic dragons myself, but I'd be happy to do a dragonrider RP with sentient ones.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
This is super interesting, I'll most probably be joining! Quick question though - about how long do you envisage the RP to be? Just curious to see if I do develop a personal story/plot and how it should end.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Deceptio, don't you already have two roleplays up that are currently in inactive/active limbo? Do you think this would be the right time to start considering another one, however intriguing the concept is?

As for that concept, I'm hoping you do stick by that promise of a "detailed high fantasy world", for it would be necessary to have a thoroughly fleshed-out setting for an open-ended roleplay such as this. I suspect you'll be further developing most elements of this for some time, correct? It would only be for the better.

But I like what you have so far, the potential dragon and rider dynamics and the promised freedom, though be careful in not enforcing so much freedom that there is little direction. I can say that I'm interested.

Years
As someone with two RPs also in limbo, I'd say its not a bad idea.

Once an RP loses steam, it kinda dies pretty quickly. If an RP doesn't seem to get enough posts in the first month or so, it just kinda fades away. Unfortunately.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
As someone with two RPs also in limbo, I'd say its not a bad idea.

I mean, the reason I say they're "inactive/active" is because I haven't seen any confirmatory statements on whether or not Great Expedition or the Kalos journey one are finished with. At least, I haven't seen anything in the OOC threads where I'd expect something so essential. Deceptio himself has been rather inactive lately. That is why at least one of the roleplays he helps game-master (the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon one I had joined) is no longer as active as it was: lack of GM activity. It has very little to do with rather players are "interested" or not.

Great Expedition especially doesn't apply to anything you've hastily concluded. The IC thread was particularly bustling and players were praising how much progress was made. Then, the game masters weren't there to help progress the plot and now no one can post or is posting. Definitely not an issue of player interest.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
@Disclosed

There are reasons, very apt and private reasons, that I cannot return to either of those RPs at present. PMD especially was an RP I co-GM and didn't have full reign over. I have deigned to leave the closing of that RP to the one who posted it in the first place.

As for the other, there is also another GM, Shak, currently in charge of the project. I entrusted the RP to him during my absence and he's acting GM at present. Aside from that, I have my reasons and those whom know me know those reasons. As such, I see no further cause to discuss past Roleplays here and I would appreciate if they were not.

Now then, for the questions directed at the topic at hand.

@Foxrally
The RP would be more than long enough for a full character development cycle, both for the Rider and the Dragon. As for the exact length, that is to be defined by the players.

Due to expressed interest here, as well as in various Skype groups... I have decided that the current amount of interest is suitable.

The OOC shall be posted later today or tomorrow. ~

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
@Disclosed

There was, in fact, a relevant reason to reference your past roleplays, though I feel my response to Stardust averted us from the real question I had, and I apologize for that. Really, I was curious from the beginning if you could handle yet another roleplay because, based on past examples, your activity levels haven't seemed very adequate. But you've essentially answered that, now. If you're focusing on Riders alone then I have no qualms and you've implied that you're not inactive, rather not returning, which I hadn't known originally.

As for Riders, I'll simply repeat that I'm intrigued again. I'll consider the OOC once it is posted. This has the potential to be a pretty solid roleplay, based on the concept, if it strikes the right balance between relatively free and directive-driven.

Years
For a moment I forgot this was just an Interest Check, and started drafting my characters in my head. That's how excited I am for this idea.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I think Fort Pokepower did something like this a while ago and people seemed to like it. Go for it!

Back