• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5qwerty's Pixel Art

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
The main reason I started this thread is because I want to improve my spriting skills, so I need feedback from you guys. I really want to improve because that will make my hack more attractive it is crucial to my time here on PC.

Please leave some Constructive Criticism!

My Pokedex for an upcoming project (All Scratches):
Spoiler:

Old/Not recent:
Spoiler:

Tiles:

Top row: Grass (under that is Pokemon Grass), Mountain, a civilian house, Pokemon Center, and road.
Bottom row: Sand Road, Tree, House, and Gym.
The Pokemart will be like the Center.
Okay, Pokemart added, and House.

The reason they look like they're from another game is because I sprited in a similar style to those of Shiny Gold's (and copied the palette of course). But they are not edited or ripped, they are from scratch.

AND DON' STEAL!!!
If you actually use them, give credit to me, please.
Other:
Haunter for something else.

Tell me what you think and tell me where to improve on.

Last edited:

Vednix

:D
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
Ok.

Corsola Pre Evo: The only thing I can see here is that there are dark outlines at the top of the...tail/hair thingy, which doesn't suit when on the actual body there are no dark outline on the top of the head.

Cacnea Alt Evo: The anatomy looks a little odd, but thats just my opinion. The shading is good here though.

Trainer: There are a lot fo things wrong here. First off, is he supposed to have ridiculously long arms? Either that or his legs are WAY too short. It looks like hs is facing towards the screen, then his body tilting to face the characters in the bottom right (as that's where the character would be.) The shading is alright, but there need sot be more shading on the trousers.

Random Thing: THe shading looks alright, but isnt the light supposed to come from the top right? I thought it did :S.

Anyway, they're good, but shading and anatomy needs some work ;)

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thanks, I will try to improve.

And just to make it clear, a Pokemon/Trainer Faces the Bottom left, and sorry, I never thought the Arms were that long. (He was that kid from Shorts who wished for long arms LOL)

Years
The main reason I started this thread is because I want to improve my spriting skills, so I need feedback from you guys. I really want to improve because that will make my hack more attractive it is crucial to my time here on PC.

Please leave some Constructive Criticism!

A Corsola Pre-evo: No Smile, or smile?

A Cacnea Alternate evolution: It's not doing what you think it is.

A random trainer.

A random thing with a shell on its head and a Ball thing for its tail.

Tell me what you think and tell me where to improve on.
Your Corsola pre-evo gets the general feel right, but some things are bugging me. Its "horn" doesn't have the same shading as the rest of it and it's outline should not be so even all the way around. And it's "facing" forward which is a little weird. It's also a bit too small if you ask me. I don't think even the "baby" pokemon are that small. Oh, and go with the smile.

The Cacnea alternate doesn't really have shading, just varying gradients (darker upper arms and lower legs, lighter torso and "hands") which doesn't give it the right kind of depth and leaves it looking flat. The horizontal line between the head and crown doesn't help this either.

Your trainer has long arms and short legs. The top half looks like it's at or around 3/4, but the legs are symmetrical so they seem to be facing forward.

Shell-head-ball-tail is kind of plain. It looks like two ovals stuck together without any real theme joining them together. Since its ball tail doesn't look like a tail you should either make it more recognizable or get rid of it entirely since it's not helping the sprite overall.

Hope that wasn't too much at once. Keep at it.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
*sniff* Okay, then I never actually thought of it they way you explained it, I never thought that the Cactus looked flat, but now that you said it, it sort of does.

I understand your feeling about the Corsola Pre-Evo, I'll just move the eyes. And when you say the shading is not the same, you mean that it's not using the same shading style, right? I sort of don't get what you mean by the outline thing.

The Trainer was my first Trainer so... yeah.

The Ball thing was supposed to have a body, but then I rushed and gave it a stone.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Consecutive Posting is allowed right? I updated...

Years
The revamps are pretty good, but you need to do more work on editing the shading. If you look at Bayleef's hind leg, for example, I can see that you've just recoloured it, as the very dark dithered colour stands out quite badly. Also, the outline is a bit wrong on Chikorita's head. It's a bit too light in places.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Okay, thanks.
Bayleef's hind leg was supposed to be mostly brown, but then I thought it looked bad, so yeah.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
Years
The disguises and revamps are awesome :)
But the trainer is strangely shaped, and the Corsola prevo's outline is wierd!

Years
*sniff* Okay, then I never actually thought of it they way you explained it, I never thought that the Cactus looked flat, but now that you said it, it sort of does.

I understand your feeling about the Corsola Pre-Evo, I'll just move the eyes. And when you say the shading is not the same, you mean that it's not using the same shading style, right? I sort of don't get what you mean by the outline thing.
Whoa. Slow to respond there, me. I meant the shading on the pre-evo's spike looks like the light it coming from directly above and not from the upper left like the body's light source. The outline on it should match the body's outline, i.e., lighter on the side facing the light source. If you're going to change the face to make it not looking forward I suggest you also shift the feet. For instance, you could show a hind leg (if its got more than two legs, dunno) or make one oh-so-slightly larger to give it the appearance of being closer.

Hope that helps.

As for your revamps, they look good, but like NikNaks said, you don't really need dithering, particularly on Dratini since it's supposed to be all smooth.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Oh, okay, thanks. I will try to improve based upon what you have just said.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
the random trainer and cancea or whatever it is, is not good. make a bit of outline on the random trainer. and bit of shading too!

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
There is shading on both of them, and outlines too. I suggest you look carefully before criticizing.

Years
Shellhead - Such an inventive title you've got there, with the top of its head and the ball tail, try making it appear more round by adding darker tones, perhaps even a pixel next to the outline. Might I ask why you have some of the outline in red? The ball tail could do with an extra shade or two.

ROFL Cacnea Evo - I thought it was doing that, but the shading is splendid on this sprite, the only area of improvement might be its outline (lighter lines in lighter places) and its 'hands'. XD

Corsola Pre Evo - It's a good start, but try editing it so its not completely 2D and facing us, like maybe some perspective on it? Try improving on the shading to give it a more realistic effect (dw I have trouble with roundish sprites as well).

Keep up the good stuff. ^.^

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Yeah, thanks, I have made some new Fakemon but cannot upload them because it is on another computer, I will try to upload them.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I updated with some new Fake Pokemon. Some tiles will be coming in a few minutes.

Years
I Really like the pre-evo of corsola-(no mouth is better if you ask me)
Im not a great fan of fakemon but these seem to be coming along nicely,
Keep practicing.
I also like your revamp of politoed lol :)
The slug and snail things look like beliaveable pokemon and would work well
I think abit more colour variation/ or detail on SOME fakemon would do them good....
As for the rest.. they are getting there so keep at it and the best of look :)

Last edited:

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thank you for your feedback, but even I don't really think they look official.
But which Fakemon need more variation, could you name them out. (I bet it's the Ladybug)

As for tiles, I'm having trouble uploading right now.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
Years
Hm... the shading kind of looks like "cell shading" on anime to me, instead of pixel shading.
And the traner looks like elastic man.
I love Corsola with a smile, keeps it looking like it's evolved form. (I'm a sucker for corsola XD ) Although you might wanna make the top coral part match the color it is. The outline almost looks black.
I love the Revamps.
Overall, they are pretty good. ^,^ Just a few tiny things, that are easy to get the hang of.
the anatomy is only a problem on the trainer it seems.
Keep it up. <3

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thanks you for that boost of confidence, just something to ask, what does Cell Shading mean? I know who Cell is, but I actually never got to the Cell Games Saga.

As for the trainer, it was my first, so you wouldn't really expect much.

Back