• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
It could be done in a way similar to To the Moon, with a hub showing all the times you can eventually have access to. Well, those were memories, but you get the idea, right?

Yeah, I get it. I like a game with paradoxes. It's nice to see what you could do with it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
I'm not much of a hacker. I play around a bit with overworld and map editing, but I think it would be rad if there were a game with an Old West focus. Maybe like Team Rocket could be bandits, and you were deputized or something. There could be a lot more focus on the farmy pokemon like tauros, miltank, and ponyta. And probably a few fakemon? IDK, just an idea.

To expand on this, Professor Oak could be a Pokémon Rancher. He gives your starter (one of the farm animal ones), and you go do the first mission fetching his package. Then when you come back, one of the evil organization grunts has stolen something from him. A local law officer is there, and he decides to deputize you and your rival. The objective of the game would be chasing the evil guys instead of badges.

Crystar500

Stressed and Confused
Years
I had a few thoughts of a hack of Ruby or Emerald that takes place about a year or two before the events of RSE and FRLG. You start in Mossdeep City, following either Tate or Liza on their journey across Hoenn. I haven't thought of much besides that, except for the fact that the evil team in the game would probably be a combination of Team Magma and Aqua. Perhaps Maxie and Archie were allies in the past?

I also did a little activity, I guess you can call it, that I dubbed "Speed-Plotting". I tasked myself to come up with a random Pokemon game plot in under twenty minutes. :)

Spoiler:

It came out somewhat well, I guess. xD

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Hmm. Well I brought this up on another thread the other day but has anyone ever considered doing a Fire Red/Leaf Green hack built using the Emerald game engine? Here's why I bring this up;

1: Prior to the Emerald version EV training required you to breed and re-breed almost constantly to get the right nature and IVs in addition to egg moves. The everstone being able to influence natures of bred pokemon has made that step a lot easier. Similarly having Flame Body and Magma Armor cut the steps needed to hatch eggs in half was a major plus.

2: On the subject of EVs, much like with getting the right nature/IVs for a pokemon EV training in games older than emerald required you to practically re-do your entire team. With how FR/LG forced you to wait until post-game due to the national pokedex to get eggs this was a huge problem for me when I wanted to go to a special event back in the day to battle other players, and it's still a massive pain in ROM hacks because I would love to use my starting team throughout the game and EV train them to be the best they can be, but I can't do that playing ROM hacks using FR/LG/R/S as the ROM base because the EV reducing berries only got their status as EV reducing berries starting in Emerald. Plus considering that the starters are only female 12 percent of the time it's more of a hassle than it's worth to breed a fresh pokemon with zero EVs to train up all over again.

3: Hoenn's map looks pretty similar to Kanto's. With a bit of work one can take portions of th FR/LG map and overlay it onto Hoenn's. The Resolute pokemon hack did a good job redesigning Hoenn so it's possible to remake Hoenn into Kanto. This adds the bonus of additional towns/cities to the new Kanto Map. One can even add some anime touches here and there without making the game explicitly an anime-themed hack. For example in the first season of the anime there was this trainer, AJ who had this tough sandshrew. He appeared to have been using a Macho Brace to help train his pokemon so one can get the brace off him in an in-game event where he replaces the Winstrate family. I can see plenty of similar examples, especially if Grandpa Canyon from the Prehistoric Pokemon episode is used.

4: There needs to be a proper league tournament. Challenging the elite four may be good and all but it alone is an empty experiance. More hacks need a tournament and if one becomes champion there, they can challenge the elite four in the post game sequence afterward.

5: Another anime tidbit I thought of relates to the contests and battle frontier. By using Emerald as a base there's the matter of the pokemon contests and the battle frontier. Having each frontier facility appear around Kanto like they did in the battle frontier saga would be good to try, though they would be off-limits until post game of course. Besides the Trainer Hill Tower thing seen in Fire Red and Leaf Green is seriously lacking and it makes FR/LG not really worth putting a serious playthrough for. he contests shouldn't be limited to just one town either, more contest halls for the appropriate normal/super/hyper/master ranks is a must, it was pretty annoying seeing just one hall in emerald because of the battle tents.

6: Finally the special/physical split is a must in my opinion for such a game, there's precious few if any pokemon that were used competitively in the 3rd gen because of crap like Mightyena's high attack but Crunch was a special attack to name one example. Mightyena may not be superb, but it can be very strong with the right moves and not having access to it's signature attack due to it being a special attack was a huge mistake. Having a few 4th and 5th gen moves would be vital as well since Scizor without X-Scissor and Iron Head is wrong.

Now a game like I mentioned doesn't have to be exactly like this, I'll still play FR/LG hacks without a problem, but at least enable the emerald breeding mechanics and emerald berry system somehow in future fire red hacks, and enable a proper post game challenge like the battle frontier or something.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 12, 2016
My idea for a rom hack(use it if you want but credit me thanks: J):
You woke up in a building after a earthquake.You found yourself in Giovanni's office where Giovanni is talking to James(the vice-president of team rocket) about extracting pokemon's power into himself(it means he have moves/power of pokemon) to take over the world.After that,there was a earthquake again.Then normal gameplay until mt moon(can have changes).At mount moon , team rocket grunts and James were there taking all the clefairy and moon stones.You tried to stop them but James run off with half of the clefairy and all of the moon stones but he dropped one by accident so you take it(the dropped moon stone replaces the fossils).Normal gameplay until the Cledon city(can have changes).In Cledon city , team rocket base , Giovanni have enough tools and used a machine that extracts pokemon's power/moves.You tried to stop him but he runs away as well.Normal gameplay until before elite four.Giovanni appeared and you got in a battle with him.He used himself and you used your pokemon.After beating(killing) him you go and beat the elite four and Gary...

More details: Giovanni must not be the gym leader of Viridian city.
Please make more changes to make the story nicer so remember to credit yourself too.
Thanks

Last edited:

DJTiki

Years
Hmm. Well I brought this up on another thread the other day but has anyone ever considered doing a Fire Red/Leaf Green hack built using the Emerald game engine? Here's why I bring this up;

1: Prior to the Emerald version EV training required you to breed and re-breed almost constantly to get the right nature and IVs in addition to egg moves. The everstone being able to influence natures of bred pokemon has made that step a lot easier. Similarly having Flame Body and Magma Armor cut the steps needed to hatch eggs in half was a major plus.

2: On the subject of EVs, much like with getting the right nature/IVs for a pokemon EV training in games older than emerald required you to practically re-do your entire team. With how FR/LG forced you to wait until post-game due to the national pokedex to get eggs this was a huge problem for me when I wanted to go to a special event back in the day to battle other players, and it's still a massive pain in ROM hacks because I would love to use my starting team throughout the game and EV train them to be the best they can be, but I can't do that playing ROM hacks using FR/LG/R/S as the ROM base because the EV reducing berries only got their status as EV reducing berries starting in Emerald. Plus considering that the starters are only female 12 percent of the time it's more of a hassle than it's worth to breed a fresh pokemon with zero EVs to train up all over again.

3: Hoenn's map looks pretty similar to Kanto's. With a bit of work one can take portions of th FR/LG map and overlay it onto Hoenn's. The Resolute pokemon hack did a good job redesigning Hoenn so it's possible to remake Hoenn into Kanto. This adds the bonus of additional towns/cities to the new Kanto Map. One can even add some anime touches here and there without making the game explicitly an anime-themed hack. For example in the first season of the anime there was this trainer, AJ who had this tough sandshrew. He appeared to have been using a Macho Brace to help train his pokemon so one can get the brace off him in an in-game event where he replaces the Winstrate family. I can see plenty of similar examples, especially if Grandpa Canyon from the Prehistoric Pokemon episode is used.

4: There needs to be a proper league tournament. Challenging the elite four may be good and all but it alone is an empty experiance. More hacks need a tournament and if one becomes champion there, they can challenge the elite four in the post game sequence afterward.

5: Another anime tidbit I thought of relates to the contests and battle frontier. By using Emerald as a base there's the matter of the pokemon contests and the battle frontier. Having each frontier facility appear around Kanto like they did in the battle frontier saga would be good to try, though they would be off-limits until post game of course. Besides the Trainer Hill Tower thing seen in Fire Red and Leaf Green is seriously lacking and it makes FR/LG not really worth putting a serious playthrough for. he contests shouldn't be limited to just one town either, more contest halls for the appropriate normal/super/hyper/master ranks is a must, it was pretty annoying seeing just one hall in emerald because of the battle tents.

6: Finally the special/physical split is a must in my opinion for such a game, there's precious few if any pokemon that were used competitively in the 3rd gen because of crap like Mightyena's high attack but Crunch was a special attack to name one example. Mightyena may not be superb, but it can be very strong with the right moves and not having access to it's signature attack due to it being a special attack was a huge mistake. Having a few 4th and 5th gen moves would be vital as well since Scizor without X-Scissor and Iron Head is wrong.

Now a game like I mentioned doesn't have to be exactly like this, I'll still play FR/LG hacks without a problem, but at least enable the emerald breeding mechanics and emerald berry system somehow in future fire red hacks, and enable a proper post game challenge like the battle frontier or something.

Interesing idea. Actually there is a ton you can do to remake Fire Red, if you wanted it on an Emerald Base. Emerald looks better, aesthitacally(I spelled it wrong, I know) and the things added, like Battle Frontier is well made. Perhaps, you can have post-game Kanto, but Kanto alone won't cut it, if it is the same storyline. Mainly because if people wanted Fire Red, they'd play Fire Red, no matter how you shape it.

So a changed storyline will be neccessary. And you can probably do something similar to Black/White 2, which cut off some areas in favor of completely original one. Seeing the same thing is NOT fun. Just saying.

But perhaps some new mechanics from 6th Gen to spicing things up. The timeline supports a Fire Red remake via Kanto. So I'm for it. The thing is, what is completely orignal you'll add? Any ideas anyone?

The_Buddha_Wolf

Buger King Manager (Not really)
Years
Combining Worlds

Sgt. Frog
Spoiler:

Spider-Man
Spoiler:

The Marvel/DC world
Spoiler:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
A zombie apocalypse where you are trying to find your friend who was kidnapped by bandits. Gameplay is set up as such:
There are no pokemon. You are the only sprite, so your character will be fighting in battle.
Different types of zombies and the types determine what they're weak against.
You have the capability for every TM and the TMs will be renamed to various weapons which will support types. So there could be combat knife, machete, beretta, flamethrower, rocket launcher, beer bottle, etc. and the PP would be more limited like Rocket launcher would be 3 PP, beer bottle probably like 1 and not that effective lol. Anyways, TMs are relearnable. I know what you're thinking... then I could just relearn the TM and get my PP back up (that's what she said) well there's a get-around to that. Once you use the TM, it's gone from your TM bag but since it's relearnable, that means that on your journey if you wanna change the 4 weapons you are carrying (since you only get 4 moves) you'll have to find weapons laying around. PCs will be random beds in abandoned buildings where you take a nap (with the occasional wake up to zombies breaking in) and pokemarts are ammo crates or travelers selling merchandise.
Now for the types, let's say ... a knife ... it could be not that effective against a zombie that has hard leathery skin so maybe a type like Rough? idk. Guns could be not as effective to speedy zombies or extremely large zombies.
Trainer battles would work the same. Except the secondary type for you as the player and them as humans would be something like Living or whatever which means the effectiveness of Living vs Living is supercritical so if i stab the trainer he gets a lot of damage whereas if he shoots me i lose a lot too.
Oh yeah, every zombie has special abilities that make the player have different status effects. a move like "Screech" or "Spook" could paralyze the player where bite or scratch could poison the player.

An alternate idea to having just the player out in battle, could have multiple versions of the player (6 versions) with different types and when one faints, the next version can be played.... this version sounds like garbage though so that's why i think it should only be 1 pokemon slot

Something to build off of

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I had a few thoughts of a hack of Ruby or Emerald that takes place about a year or two before the events of RSE and FRLG. You start in Mossdeep City, following either Tate or Liza on their journey across Hoenn. I haven't thought of much besides that, except for the fact that the evil team in the game would probably be a combination of Team Magma and Aqua. Perhaps Maxie and Archie were allies in the past?

I also did a little activity, I guess you can call it, that I dubbed "Speed-Plotting". I tasked myself to come up with a random Pokemon game plot in under twenty minutes. :)

Spoiler:

It came out somewhat well, I guess. xD

asdfjl I love this basic idea. Taking the usual Pokemon game and giving it a whole new purpose, whilst keeping the basics the same. The idea of working for a company and battling others to advertise it is pretty cool. I'm not sure what you mean on the last bit? Do you mean there would be a level-cap until you get that many endorsements or do you mean wild encounters, etc.

I'm not sure if that kind of blocking would work in a game, at least not without stunting gameplay. It would probably just be best to keep the levels in line with important people in the story - the main games basically did the same with the whole "Pokemon up to Lv 50 will obey you" thing, since that only counted for traded pokemon and could otherwise be ignored :<.

Crystar500

Stressed and Confused
Years
asdfjl I love this basic idea. Taking the usual Pokemon game and giving it a whole new purpose, whilst keeping the basics the same. The idea of working for a company and battling others to advertise it is pretty cool. I'm not sure what you mean on the last bit? Do you mean there would be a level-cap until you get that many endorsements or do you mean wild encounters, etc.

I'm not sure if that kind of blocking would work in a game, at least not without stunting gameplay. It would probably just be best to keep the levels in line with important people in the story - the main games basically did the same with the whole "Pokemon up to Lv 50 will obey you" thing, since that only counted for traded pokemon and could otherwise be ignored :<.

I was thinking that the business Pokemon PC could provide Pokemon of a certain level range based on the amount of endorsements you earned. Wild Pokemon would not be capped, but the PC would. I wouldn't want the player to have access to Level 100 Pokemon right at the start. Every endorsement earned increases the PC's level cap, although Pokemon obtained from the PC can be leveled normally.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 24, 2014
I have an idea, one i actually started on before abandoning it because i needed a completely new tileset and it would only have been like an hour or two of gameplay:
Spoiler:

So as you can see it requires a bit more thought into it then i've already put, but i think it has the possibility to be cool and unique

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I have an idea, one i actually started on before abandoning it because i needed a completely new tileset and it would only have been like an hour or two of gameplay:
Spoiler:

So as you can see it requires a bit more thought into it then i've already put, but i think it has the possibility to be cool and unique

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL HOTY 2015.
Do you honestly believe that will ever be a romhack? I understand you're trying to make it cool and maybe based on real events but people might get offended at what you're trying to do and I don't know if PC would really accept such a hack (though I gotta admit I chuckled)

Crystar500

Stressed and Confused
Years
Do you honestly believe that will ever be a romhack? I understand you're trying to make it cool and maybe based on real events but people might get offended at what you're trying to do and I don't know if PC would really accept such a hack (though I gotta admit I chuckled)

I do hope that they're not serious about that.

DJTiki

Years

Actually, the idea could work. Just a few things could definetly be changed. For one, having the Pokemon Universe in Real tragic events, is very VERY risky. You are tredding on dangerous waters, there. One person to get offended is enough for it to get reported, then you cause a snowball effect, piling on each other.

So how about it'd be place in a fictional world, but with different cahracters and similar events. You'd still get your point across without it being a big deal. And I like the pun too :3

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 24, 2014
Actually, the idea could work. Just a few things could definetly be changed. For one, having the Pokemon Universe in Real tragic events, is very VERY risky. You are tredding on dangerous waters, there. One person to get offended is enough for it to get reported, then you cause a snowball effect, piling on each other.

So how about it'd be place in a fictional world, but with different cahracters and similar events. You'd still get your point across without it being a big deal. And I like the pun too :3

Tragic events? I wasn't aware the assasination of Bin Laden was tragic for anyone, other than maybe someone related to him or something. I didn't really think that would be a problem.

DJTiki

Years
Tragic events? I wasn't aware the assasination of Bin Laden was tragic for anyone, other than maybe someone related to him or something. I didn't really think that would be a problem.

I meant 9/11 and its context to it. Not a lot of people will apperciate it.

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
Years
I've put up a thread waiting for it to get approved, it's about mutant pokemon (yeah, it changed a lot from my other idea, from the supernatural hack) but this one has different worlds, time travel 3-5 diferent regions, original characters (aka; Blue, Red, Leaf) as champions of other regions (Blue being my favourite so is the strongest champion and you battle your ancestor (sir Black) who is the meant to be the toughest battle in the game, so i need some help working out the kinks.

I put it up 4 days ago and is has not been approved

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
It's not impossible to have 3 regions, 4 och even 100. One idea could be that, after you have collected 16 badges, you're told to trace down Team [Insert-Gang-Name-Here], and you do so, fighting their members and attempt to take on the leader. You're about to enter a doorway, when suddenly...

Someone is knocking you unconscious.

You wake up in a dumpster at some unknown area (A huge city in the 3rd region) with NOTHING left. No Pokemon, No items, Nothing. Not even a Pokegear or a Town Map. And your wallet has been robbed, so you have 0 Cash left.

You basically have to start completely from scratch.

From there, you have to search for items which you can sell, so you're able to buy a starter Pokemon from a Dirty Pokemon Lord that sells Pokemon Illegal. Then you're able to continue your new adventure in the third region and finally confront the evil Team that left you there in the first place. When the 3rd and 4th region has been completed, something else will happen again so you will be forced to start from scratch yet again.

By the time you've reached the 100nd region, you will get every Pokemon that was taken away from you, right back. They will sit in your PC.

This is just an idea. But you get what I mean. It's the "GTA of Pokemon" - The Bigger, The Better. The final regions could be entirely free roaming affairs with lots of sidequests, missions and stuff, with super-big maps many houses and forests to explore.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2014
To get some creative minds going,you can make a game about being your rival

DJTiki

Years
Interestig concept to be a rival, but doesn't that go against being the rival, unless you are forced to lose to the better player. Then if you save the day, then techically it would make the rival the hero in the end.

How about a shift in perspecitve where you experience a Rival's psychi in losing and such?

Back