• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Trubbish line and the Vanillite line: Why all the hate?

Yukari

I don't mind Trubbish, and personally love Vanillite. But people hate them for the same reasons they hate the Litwick line, Chingling and Klefki because they're based off of objects instead of animals... but yet at the same time I haven't heard anyone really hate Honedge

And yet pokemon have been based off objects science gen 1

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Ohh I've had this conversation so many times...

Hate is a strong word but, I'm definitely not a fan. To clarify, I don't think they're running out of ideas, because in all honesty I really think they upped the ante in creativity with the Gen V designs. But there's a few reasons I don't like these two evolutionary lines.

For one, they are pretty poorly designed IMO. This has nothing to do with what they are (garbage and ice cream), but the design. To put it bluntly, they don't look like Pokemon. As a demonstration of what I mean, imagine this: imagine you had seen them before you had any knowledge of Gen V, and no context. Would you even guess that they were Pokemon? My first thought when I see them is "ice cream cone/garbage heap with a face", not "ice cream Pokemon/garbage heap Pokemon". Compare that to Zoroark. Immediately recognizable as a Pokemon.

Another thing is the concepts. Garbage and ice cream just aren't very interesting things to anthropomorphize. Of course, they're not the only offenders in this regard (looking at you, Mr. Gen I floating rock with arms).

And of course, there's their evolution. Trubbish goes from garbage to more garbage, and Vanillite goes from ice cream cone, to bigger ice cream cone, to bigger ice cream cone with two scoops. Blegh...they I know they could have thought of something better. Again they're not the only offenders, but I think it made a bit more sense with Magneton, because when a Magnemite gets strong enough its magnet pulls in other Magnemites.

I think the biggest one is the first one--they just don't look like Pokemon. But they can't be all perfect. For having designed over 718 of them, I think they've done a darn good job making most of them creative and interesting :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
And yet pokemon have been based off objects science gen 1

Indeed plenty of gen 1 pokemon get hate for poor designs... It just seems like more of it is aimed at gens 4-6 because people like clinging onto the the idea that they're running out of designs, plus people like to pretend that old things are always better no matter how flawed.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I understand this thread. I started the "least favourite Pokémon" thread, and a lot of people have said trubbish.
I think that there is one thing that everyone can like about a Pokémon, even their least favourite. For me, I like trubbish for his sounds. trub trub trub.
Vanilite is just so adorabl.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I don't mind either of these pokemon. They don't seem all that bad to me. There are worse than these two. Plus I think Vanillite is cute. It's based off of ice cream after all.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
I don't mind Trubbish. Vanillite though, just comes off as lazy to me.
It's literally just an ice cream with eyes.

Back