• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank

Will you be doing the same thing?

• Yeah, I probably would...

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Nah, I'll stick to breeding instead.

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
Years
I can't wait for the Bank. Why did they have to release it so late? ugh. I want to see my very first Pokemon in X! I wanna play and pet them at Amie! It is going to be so awesome!!!

I hope there is a feature so we can release multiple Pokemon, not 1 at a time.. Filling your Pokedex is going to be so easy for future games ;)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
At the moment, I don't really have much of a need to get it as I never bought Black or White. I might do at some point though and €5 per year isn't bad at all.... It'll also be nice having a place to store Pokemon if/when I decide to restart my game...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
There are a lot of factors/features you are ignoring. It's not just a bunch of storage space, it's a full system that includes apps to access, development, security, cheat checking, 24-7 high capacity and speed access, and probably a lot of things even I can't think of. The storage space is likely the smallest portion of the costs.

I know you guys already moved on, but yeah for anyone that thinks its a bit much for 700 mbs, it's not as simple as storage... Aside from what was mention there's a lot of overhead too (building/s the server/s will be kept, the maintaining said server/s.) I'd also imagine there will be a small team running and maintaining everything, on top of all the costs Gamefreak/Nintendo still need to make some profit. I may not all the costs involved, but $5 a year is a bargain.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
At the moment, I don't really have much of a need to get it as I never bought Black or White. I might do at some point though and €5 per year isn't bad at all.... It'll also be nice having a place to store Pokemon if/when I decide to restart my game...

When the bank comes out I'd wager a lot of players will be playing several runs through. But even those who don't, it's also a nice way to ensure you'll have your favorites for the next gen without having to hassle with a lot of redundant work.

Outlier

5 dollars isn't much but I refuse to pay money to transfer my pokemon on principle. It's just a greedy move by Nintendo.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
5 dollars isn't much but I refuse to pay money to transfer my pokemon on principle. It's just a greedy move by Nintendo.
In the past if you lost your copy of a game your Pokemon were lost too, but with Poke Bank you can at least keep your hard trained Pokemon. Especially competetive battlers who have like hundreds of competetive Pokemon don't have to worry anymore for losing them. For this price it's pretty much a steal from the players side. The only thing I don't get is, why it costs more if you're living in Europe. Well at least the first month is free so you can at least give it a try.

I'm quite curious how the hack check will work. I'm guessing that it will be done right with the conversion, since Pokemon aren't stored in pkm files anymore, but rather pkx files. The best way for them would be to allow hacked Pokemon, but editing them so they are at least legal and add some kind of ribbon preventing them from getting traded or used in wifi battles. That allows people to keep their hacked Pokemon while preventing evil hackers from abusing the system (well at least for a while since there's never a 100% chance of absolut security; but that applys for other methods as well).
Well, we'll see.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
In the past if you lost your copy of a game your Pokemon were lost too, but with Poke Bank you can at least keep your hard trained Pokemon. Especially competetive battlers who have like hundreds of competetive Pokemon don't have to worry anymore for losing them. For this price it's pretty much a steal from the players side. The only thing I don't get is, why it costs more if you're living in Europe. Well at least the first month is free so you can at least give it a try.

I'm quite curious how the hack check will work. I'm guessing that it will be done right with the conversion, since Pokemon aren't stored in pkm files anymore, but rather pkx files. The best way for them would be to allow hacked Pokemon, but editing them so they are at least legal and add some kind of ribbon preventing them from getting traded or used in wifi battles. That allows people to keep their hacked Pokemon while preventing evil hackers from abusing the system (well at least for a while since there's never a 100% chance of absolut security; but that applys for other methods as well).
Well, we'll see.

You forgot to mention the breeders. :P

I have hatched over 2,000 pokemon in just this game. I guard my Black cartridge with my life right now, because they're all stuck on there. Also have a box of breeder sets, to breed perfect pokemon to replace the ones I have now, just in case. Breeding is a ton of work, $5 a year ... I'd pay $5 a month if I could ensure my time and efforts can be preserved without having to use a bank vault to protect the cartridge until the next generation comes out.

Years
Hacked pokemon will be a issue. You can make legal hacks, and remove the ribbions using tools on your computer. I really think Pokebank was a stupid idea somewhat. I mean G/S/C couldn't transfer to R/S/E, but people still bought R/S/E.
Tho hacked pokemon won't really effect you if you recive one, trust me In B/W I likely recived many and my game was fine(Actually I had a lvl 1 keldo and genesect but that was from a friend).
Anyways $5 seems pretty cheap I guess.

Storing up to 3000 pokemon tho? Is that really needed? I mean even for breeders it seems like just realesing pokemon to make up room would be more useful. Like seriously who needs almost 4000 boxs(thats with the boxs in x and Y)Thats just my opion tho

I like the idea, but if it has a server crash or somethinghappens, couldn't you risk losing your pokemon.
Idk just rambling now.

Years
Storing up to 3000 pokemon tho? Is that really needed? I mean even for breeders it seems like just realesing pokemon to make up room would be more useful. Like seriously who needs almost 4000 boxs(thats with the boxs in x and Y)Thats just my opion tho

3000 Pokemon I think is somewhat restrictive in my eyes.
I have come close to filling just about every box I have ever used in a Pokemon game and of course I wouldn't keep all of them, but breeders like to keep all of their Pokemon stored for whatever reason.

As someone who is pretty hardcore into flawless breeding and shiny breeding I can tell you that even though I now have my flawless shiny Aggron with everything 100% perfect I still have my Chalybeate my very first Aggron from Ruby back 7 years ago in a box somewhere on White. I wish I could keep all of my in-game and post game teams from every game ever. And every Pokemon in between. I could easily see myself filling the Pokedex several times over and storing every single one.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Tetrakeet, I've got a shiny Lilligant so it's definitely possible to get a Petilil.

Years
Loads of shinies waiting for me in my Black 2 cartridge as I speak. I'm sad that I won't be able to transfer my shiny Jirachi over, though...

That being said, 31 boxes have almost been filled already. I don't know if I can play any more Pokemon without worrying about my PC being filled completely.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
I have 23 boxes and Pokemon Bank isn't even out yet. The extra boxes showed up the first time I connected to the GTS. I was scared that I would lose the new boxes, but after reading some of these posts, I guess I was rewarded the extra boxes from catching a lot of Pokemon.

That being said, I am excited for the Pokemon Bank to come out. I picked up a copy of Black 2 so I can trade up some of the Pokemon from that game (lucky me, the previous owner left some legends on it!).

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Mar 26, 2014
I have 23 boxes and Pokemon Bank isn't even out yet.
The game automatically expands the amount of boxes you have dependant on how you've filled your existing boxes & has done this since B&W... you can trick it into expanding pre-GTS simply by filling up your last box. You never lose those boxes. :D

Check out this link for more info - http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/box.shtml

Pinta77

I'm glad they're giving us a trial. I'm definitely gonna give it a try. If I like it, maybe I'll pay the $5 for a year.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
Anybody know when the trial and buying period starts?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Anybody know when the trial and buying period starts?
Japan: December 25th 2013
US: December 27th 2013
Europe: December 27th 2013

According to Serebii. I'm guessing Japan gets it earlier because they don't have Christmas. The trial runs until 31st January.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I'm excited for this. I'll finally be able to get all of my favorite pokes from b/w. And the price for it isn't even that bad.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
I can't wait to see my old favorites that I can't get in Kalos in 3D. That is the most exciting thing about the Pokebank. Going to be hanging out with friends and transferring my mons

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I'm psyched for the PokéBank. I just hope that they don't get carried away with these extra purchases like a lot of companies do.

Back