• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fake It Till You Make It

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
When you're talking about something, do you fake confidence if you're not quite sure what you're talking about? Do you sit back and let other people take the lead until you're certain you know what you're doing? Or are you somewhere in between?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I'm not much for talking in discussions like that. Especially if I don't know enough about it. x: So I probably would just throw in remarks or keep my mouth shut.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Depends on the topic and medium through which I'm talking about it. Internet? I'm constantly Googling things I type before I send messages just so I don't look like an idiot. Real life? I use shifty language that I can backtrack on to make false claims not be my fault, i.e. "I recently heard that [insert bogus thing]"

The basis here is I rarely know what I'm talking about

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I usually don't have enough knowledge to even bs my way through a conversation. I'm fine with just listening and absorbing thank you

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
i don't participate in discussions i know nothing about. if one comes up, i'll tell them that i have no idea what they're talking about and then i just remain silent until i have something to offer.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Most of the time I encounter people who want to start a discussion about things they don't even understand. I just nod my head, give disinterested "sure"s while I do whatever it is I'm doing at the time. I don't care enough to indulge them nor correct them if I'm keen on the subject, and I'm not about to ignite any arguments for fear of getting really frustrated.

Years
I'm usually upfront about my ignorance on some topics. I'll usually just say nothing or hedge what I do say with things like "I thought it was like this, but I could be wrong."

A few times I've had to really fake it when I saw someone really just needed to have a confident response. Usually this is to do with work stuff. One of my work mottos is "Don't let them see you bleed." When you work in any kind of service dealing with the public you have to be confident or you get walked over.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I'll usually just say I don't know, or if I think I know, I'll say "I think it's like this" or "I'm not sure but.." I wouldn't want to waste time when I could ask someone (if I couldn't first figure it out on my own) instead of fiddling around for hours. I also don't want to give someone the wrong information, either.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
Usually, in those cases, I sit back and listen.
Sometimes I ask straight out.. 'What on Earth are you guys talking about?'
And if someone asks me about something I don't know, I'm either say something like "I don't know, but I think it might be....." or just a good ol' plain "I don't know"

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
When I'm on the internet, I usually google before giving out some answers. At least I'll have some type of legit knowledge instead of saying dumb stuffs.

In real life, I say whatever I know. If I'm wrong and someone corrects me, I'm perfectly fine with it. If I know I'm right and someone is trying to correct me, I'll tell them why and how they are wrong.

Guy

just a guy
Years
If I don't know what someone is talking about, then I'll tell them I don't know what they're talking about. Then in effort to at least take part in the conversation I'll likely listen and ask questions so I get a better idea of what is going on.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Yea if that's the case, I'll just say I have no idea what they're talking about; unless I'm genuinely not interested at all then I'll pretend I know what they're saying and try to change the subject.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Ah, I haven't listened to Seether in years...

Anywho, I consider myself a real person. If I can't contribute to something, or feel like I don't know what I'm doing, I'll sit back, admit it if I have to. Faking my way through stuff makes me feel fake myself, so I'd rather not do it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I let the other people go to town and just sit back and wait. If I have something to contribute I will, but I'd be more terrified of getting caught blathering on and not knowing what I'm talking about than of just being silent and having people think I don't know what I'm talking about.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Sometimes, I try and get a word in, before I forget it. Also, if I'm not sure what they are talking about, I can sometimes try and bluff my way through the conversation.

Back