• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Generally 40-44 is the sweet spot for finding shines, but it isn't a guarantee. I've known friends who have encountered them after a chain of merely 20 while others a chain of nearly 50. It really just varies from person to person. All I can really recommend is keep trying! You will run into one eventually; persistence is the key!

Good Luck!

Years
Replaying the Elite 4/Champion repeatedly is probably the best way to do it. It's certainly more entertaining than going through wild encounters at Mt. Silver. May as well earn some money along the way.

Years
Magnezone is superior to Electivire, in my opinion. The best electric moves in the game fall under the special category. Magnezone can dish out more damage than Electivire, and has far better defenses/resistances.

Neither pokemon can really cite speed as a key strength, though Electivire is more likely to have priority with its moves. Most electric types rely somewhat on inflicting opponents with paralysis, so speed isn't usually a concern.

Magnezone's 4x weakness to ground types is concerning, however.

Years
The only real issue with Magnezone is its 4x Ground Weakness. Without air balloon existing in platinum, it's a pretty substantial challenge in using a Magnezone (also its weaknesses to fire and fighting). If you get one with Sturdy though, that can help a lot since its speed is pretty trash. Other than Magnezone, any of the Rotom formes are very strong, especially Rotom-Wash and Rotom-Fan thanks to their unique typings, good stats and move pools.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
The only real issue with Magnezone is its 4x Ground Weakness. Without air balloon existing in platinum, it's a pretty substantial challenge in using a Magnezone (also its weaknesses to fire and fighting). If you get one with Sturdy though, that can help a lot since its speed is pretty trash. Other than Magnezone, any of the Rotom formes are very strong, especially Rotom-Wash and Rotom-Fan thanks to their unique typings, good stats and move pools.

Then don't use Magnezone against ground-types... and even then there's always Hidden Power Ice.

The Rotom forms are soooo hard to get.

Years
Then don't use Magnezone against ground-types... and even then there's always Hidden Power Ice.

The Rotom forms are soooo hard to get.

You don't need to be a ground type to know a ground move. And I was assuming this was for a competitive team. The rotom forms aren't super hard to get, they just take time through the playthrough to get them. If it's just for a normal playthrough then yeah Magnezone makes more sense, but at the same time any electric type is fine cuz ingame it's mostly levels that matter.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Any good places early on for each of these pokemon??

Croconaw, Geodude, Spearow and Gastly. Currently at Slowpoke well, can't train Spearow at Ilex Forest yet, Gastly taking forever as Lick is an awful move.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Mt. Silver is the best bet for later-game grinding. As for your team at the moment, I'd say grind in the cave prior to Azalea Town or Slowpoke Well. Your options are quite limited unfortunately, but I'm sure you've already realised that.

Anyway, I'm just going to move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread, please use that next time if you have any quick questions pertaining to the 4th Generation of games.

See you around!

Last edited:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
I encountered an interesting glitch today while playing platinum, just wondering if it's a known one.

I was partaking in a double battle at lost tower (to be honest i wasn't paying much attention at the time) and all of a sudden all of the weather effects cycled through and caused all the Pokemon's abilities to hurt themselves. It was foggy because i hadn't used Defog, but even the "Sunny" and "Rainy" statuses gave the normal "Sandstorm" and "Hail" damages... This mounted to 4 (or 5, i don't think fog caused any damage though) light damage counters to every Pokemon in play each turn. It was weird to say the least.

To put it in context, it went something like this:

"rain continues to fall"

"Buneary took damage do to it's run away ability"

I don't know anything about this, kinda hoping it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Can you trade Apriballs to Platinum and use them to catch Pokemon?
I would assume so if the particular Apriball you wish to trade and use exists in Platinum. If not, I'd assume the opposite is the case. Of course, I've never tried this so I'm not sure so perhaps you could have a go and find out for yourself. Although that would defeat the purpose of you posting here, haha.

Years

As far as I'm concerned, the Apricorn Poke Balls don't exist in the coding of the Sinnoh games, and if a Pokemon caught in them is traded there it converts to a standard Poke Ball.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

As Nichole says, since the Apriballs don't exist in the Sinnoh games coding the caught Pokémon in Apriballs will appear in standard Pokéballs in DPt, probably Revolution as well.

Attaching and then trading Apriballs to Sinnoh games is impossible as well, since Apriballs can't be held in the first place. I haven't tried forcing the Pokémon from HGSS hold the Apriballs then trading them to DPt, I think it's gonna freeze or crash DPt if such attempt are forced.

The Red X

Legendary Tamer
Years
Where is Rotom?

Hello!I wanted a Rotom and when I went to the right place,it wasnt found!Where can I find a Rotom?

:)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Go to the Old Chateau (in Eterna Forest) at Night, and find the room with the TV in it. Talk to the TV.

If you are playing Diamond/Pearl, you need to have the National Dex first. In Platinum, you just need to be able to get there during the night.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Since this is a quick question, I'll move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread. If you have any future quick questions, that's the thread to post them in!

See you around!

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Go to the Old Chateau (in Eterna Forest) at Night, and find the room with the TV in it. Talk to the TV.

If you are playing Diamond/Pearl, you need to have the National Dex first. In Platinum, you just need to be able to get there during the night.

Let me add on, in case they aren't aware with the definition of night. :)
In Gen IV games, namely Diamond and Pearl as well as HeartGold, SoulSilver and Platinum, Night means 8:00PM - 3:59AM of the Nintendo DS' time.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
It really depends, if you prefer a Physical Attacker with wide coverage try out Electivire, who has access with Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Earthquake and Cross Chop (through breeding).

While Magnezone can be beat with its Flash Cannon, Discharge or Thunderbolt and Explosion. It needs Hidden Power to assist it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back