• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
.........theres not much to say really...... this game is phenomonal and I am astounded by the graphics. Keep up the good work!
Ps: I really like that tropical kinda screenshot.... And music == awesome aaaand storyline.... I am left speechless! The implementation of the other regions and not just having another boring region sounds like it's gonna work unbelievably well..... If only my game looked like it would be this good.....

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2013
wow. I love the way the game looks. The mapping looks new and amazing. The story looks great and I cant wait to try it out!

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Looking great and I hope the demo will be finished soon.
One more thing, will the pokedex be the national at first, or will it have its own unique pokedex(sort of like the pkmn ranger ones)?

nniwllehctim

Perfectionist (Spelling?) xD
Years
Absolutely beautiful. Especially the battle backs, been trying so long on mine D: Just not a good enough artist. Your BGs smell like Kyledove. I'm guessing he made them? xD But great Job with the game. This and Blue Chrome are the two I'm REALLY looking at. Congratulations on such a great game.

Taposa

;)
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 7, 2022
I like it. I am excited for the demo release!!!

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm still dumbfounded by the quality of this game. I can't wait for a demo so I can see all the hard work you've done thus far. Thanks for the update!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
One of the main reasons I signed up here was to keep tabs on this absolutely stunning game. Keep up the fantastic work. I am at the edge of my seat waiting for a demo!

Years
I noticed you changed the scheme for your team of villains. A little suggestion to consider would be to include the "Joker" of the pack into the team too. Basically what I was thinking is that each time the protagonist encounters Team Chance, they can find this "Joker" Team Chance member (it won't be a compulsory fight, he'll be in a side room or whatever) and each time you fight him, he can reward the trainer with a good item or something. Just a little gimmicky thing but I think it could be quite good. Another idea I have was to include "Ace" Team Chance members who are like an elite type of trainer that could be ranked between the hearts / spades and the admins.

Anyway keep up the good work and such.

PokeHumanManectric

Leader of the PMD Team
Years
This has got to be the best game I've seen in a while. It looks so professional -- even more so than the real games. I'm excited for the demo!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
[a id]topofnews[/a id]
Phoenix2.png
Newlestter & Update February 11th, 2012
Table of contents
  1. Editor's Notes This month in development...
  2. Storyline Updated and improved!
  3. Screenshots Scenes from all over
  4. Final Notes Conclusion
[a id]editorsnotes[/a id]This month in development... Editor's Notes
A month since my last update, I hope you guys didn't miss me too much! Well, I'm sure some of you realised you just entered a thread named "Pokémon: Phoenix Rising", and if you didn't notice from the header, you need to stop rushing to my screenshots! Anyway, big news this month. The first and foremost thing to mention is the fact that I've changed the name from Pokémon: Forever Lost to Pokémon: Phoenix Rising. The reason is that the name was a little unoriginal and no longer related to the game I am creating any more. With that said, I changed a lot of the mechanics of the game. Updated it rather, changed is too strong a word. The storyline has been updated massively and I encourage you all to read it! The gym leader factor has been edited. You now face the 8 Guardians and the 5 Oracles. The 8 Guardians still have the same set up as the gym leaders, but there are no gyms and you face them in secret locations. Pfft, you can just read about them below! Anyway, after that I have hugely updated the game on the scripting front. No more tiny screen. You'll now be rockin' PR on a 320x240px screen. I admit, not a huge difference, but it makes a big one when you play it! I have gone ahead and improved the battle system, it has a method of play not yet seen in any Pokémon game. You'll get to see that below. I'm also going to introduce something really fun called the PokéStrap. And of course, the all important screenshots can be found throughout the update!
First however, I wish to present our title theme, created by my newest composer Dasgust. Follow the YouTube video below to his other works.
[a id]storyline[/a id]Storyline - Updated
After the War in Hawthorne, the land was left with the despairing aftermath any war would sanction. The people of the region were left elated knowing they were rid of a ruler who was riddled with greed and inconsiderate motives. But the relieved people and their Pokémon began to see how the land suffered from lack of prosperity, their crops were struggling to grow, and hope of a renewed Hawthorne began to trickle away like a tear falling from an eye. Just as the area had began to fall completely, there came a sighting of the legendary Pokémon known as Ho-oh. In history, it was said that its feathers were thought to bring joy. All who were to see this Pokémon were to be eternally happy. Ho-oh travelled across the land, gracing it with its powers, and hope and happiness quickly began to grow in Hawthorne once more. From this moment on, the people of Hawthorne began to worship Ho-oh, not as a God, but as a bringer of good fortune and joy. However, it was written that once Ho-oh had travelled throughout the land that it took its peace in the region where the King had once lived. This region was once a beautiful, serene paradise, which was abashed by the onslaught of war. Ho-oh spread its wings, and its entire body began to disperse into flakes of ash. As a phoenix, Ho-oh is believed to live for hundreds of years, and once that time has been spent it ignites fiercely and is reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix rises, reborn anew to live again. Ho-oh did not appear from the ashes this time. A myth known as "The Phoenix Rising" tells of Ho-oh, and a vague history of its rebirth. It is said that Ho-oh is to present itself to a remarkable trainer or to bear testimony to the greatness of a ruler, but only if they possess a certain item. The great stones of old, nine believed to be stones of evolutionary power; Fire, Water, Grass, Thunder, Sun, Bright, Dusk, Dawn and Moon. One, known to be much more rare. With a single purpose; to raise a Pokemon from the very ashes it crumbled into, known as the Stone of Rebirth. These stones are to be of unlimited value in Hawthorne, but are seldom held by ordinary people. A menacing group of individuals known as "Team Chance" have been spotted in Hawthorne, asking questions about Ho-oh, and have been seeking more knowledge of The Phoenix Rising. Team Chance is led by "King", claiming to be a descendant of the old King of Hawthorne who led the people of the region to rebel and knock him from his throne. Now, the supposed heir of the monarch takes pride in being known simply as "King", and wishes to take the empty throne once more. He believes that with the Stone of Rebirth he will cause Ho-oh to bear testimony to him, and see his greatness and show the region that he is the great ruler that they deserve. However, every journey needs a path; the path our hero is going to take is that of unknown adventure. To travel the region of Hawthorne, one must grow more and more powerful. What stands before a trainer is 8 Guardians, and 5 Oracles. To ensure that they would gain the title of the most powerful trainer in Hawthorne, one must defeat each of them. But perhaps our hero will find more than a desire to travel anywhere in Hawthorne with this title, will they find another motive to take on this challenge? A visit to the Professor of Pokémon Philosophy, located in Nocturne Town, our hero will receive their first Pokémon. A gift from Professor Signomi. With the hero's father away at work, and Nocturne Town becoming but a speck in the eye of our aspiring adventurer, where will their Pokémon take them? 8 Guardians & The Council of the Five Oracles The 8 Guardians are strong trainers who overlook the on-goings of the Hawthorne region. They each hold a badge representing the type of Pokémon they hold. This was a system set up by the Oracles in hope that they will find the remarkable trainer. To obtain the chance to face the Oracles, the trainer must present these 8 badges to display the evidence of their courage. The Council of the Five Oracles is a division of the most powerful trainers in the whole region of Hawthorne. Should any trainer wish to test themselves and defeat the five, they would be known as the most powerful trainer in the region. However, since the council has been set up hundreds of years ago, no-one has ever defeated them. The oracles come from five different families, and have done so since its beginning. Led by the High Oracle Anastasia, they are the source of wise council in Hawthorne. The council are also said to hold the most knowledgeable source of information on the location of The Stone of Rebirth, and it was their ancestors who wrote the myth of The Phoenix Rising.
Click for higher res
[a id]screens[/a id]Screenshots
Route2.png
in_da_hud_wit_da_guis_by_gavzxhayley-d4ramz2.gif
Menu.png
This is the PokéStrap in use within the game. The animated screenshot isn't perfect so excuse me on that one. However this is the basic idea for now. On the right column you will see the concept for the PokéStrap, I plan on making the game resemble that a bit more. The PokéStrap will always be at the bottom of your screen, except for when in menu's and so on. It does not act as your main screen but as a source of information. To activate it you must press tab, and you may scroll through your Pokémon and check their health and level. You may also still go to your Pokémon summary screen from your menu or by pressing enter when you are going through your Pokémon with the left and right arrows. Don't worry, this is not a touch/mouse based system. As a side note, the first still screen is from revamped Route 2, and the other is from Nocturne Town. The bottom screen is from Route 1, which displays the menu.
datbattle.png
datbattlepokemonoption.png
Battleyaya.gif
Summmary%20selection.png
This is the updated battle system. As you can see, I have erased the "Pokemon" option, in favour of being able to simply once again press tab and scroll through your Pokemon. This makes the battle system a lot more streamlined and easy to use. No more flicking through menus to see what your other Pokemon's health is. At all times you can see your party, their health as well as being able to choose their summary and send them into battle. The screens above show how that system works, simply with the arrow keys and enter to scroll through and select. Also a teaser screen of the battle system intro. I wanted to display the trainer sprite mainly. My newest co-team leader and pixel artist Litera-sure is remaking all the trainer classes we will use in the game with brand new sprites and overworlds. This is ambitious but surely will be worth it, I have full faith in their ability and they're already doing an amazing job. Also, beware that the colours in the animation are messed up since .gif limit you to a certain amount.
Load_screen.gif
concept.png
Last ones for this update, the load screen and the save screen. Does what it says on the tin.
[a id]conclusion[/a id] And so ends this update!
First and foremost, I have removed the first post, I will be updating it soon. So yes, things have been hectic recently trying to get this all together. I have an interview on Tuesday to a Game Development course, so I'll be presenting Phoenix Rising. I also gained a few more team members this month including OmeGaGa from deviantART as an artist. >Dante< the creator of the hack Pokemon: Crono has also just joined to help out with some mapping. So I'm happy to have them on the team. A lot more was done this month, but I don't want to spoil you with everything. I hope you guys enjoy these new updates.
2012 © The Phoenix Rising Team

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2019
Wow, I don't know what to say! This is the most amazing, and beautiful hack I've seen. The graphics are stunning, it is so clear you have put so much effort into this. Nintendo needs to take hints from this, everything you have done is beautiful. The scenery is simply amazing, I love the battle styles, the music, the menus, the Pokéstrap, I could go on. The story is really nice too, I like how you have moved away from the 'traditional' 8 gyms and Elite 4. I can't wait for more screenshots, let alone a demo/beta. I wish you the best of luck on this hack, it looks amazing, and I'm sure it will be great! One question I have though, is with the increased size, will the hack still work on iPhone emulators like gpSPhone? Thanks. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Wow, I don't know what to say! This is the most amazing, and beautiful hack I've seen. The graphics are stunning, it is so clear you have put so much effort into this. Nintendo needs to take hints from this, everything you have done is beautiful. The scenery is simply amazing, I love the battle styles, the music, the menus, the Pokéstrap, I could go on. The story is really nice too, I like how you have moved away from the 'traditional' 8 gyms and Elite 4. I can't wait for more screenshots, let alone a demo/beta. I wish you the best of luck on this hack, it looks amazing, and I'm sure it will be great! One question I have though, is with the increased size, will the hack still work on iPhone emulators like gpSPhone? Thanks. :)
Thanks for the comments, but this is not a hack of any ROM. It's a game, meaning it is a stand-alone .exe. It won't be emulated. This section is not for ROM hacks, as it states in the description.

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
Years
PokeStrap is SO awesome! That idea should be patented. It's really helpful seeing your team and their status as well as your current pokeballs and potions. Big kudos!!

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
How comes my post was Phys-Deleted? 0__0
Aaaannyywaaay, love the update. As I said in my, for some reason physically deleted post, 'Phoenix Rising' sounds extremely amazing! I love the chosen tiles very much, you went in the right direction, as BW tiles suck! The battle background and battle start-up seem very interesting too, and does the battling system!

The best thing about this game is that you haven't left out anything! Some games focus too much on the graphics, others on the scripting, but as I can see from yours, it's just the perfect balance! Kudos, and good luck :D

I'm still confused as to the Physical Delete 0___0

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Wow. I created an account just to tell you how amazing this game looks. You and your team seems to be doing an incredible job. I cannot wait to give you my money. I especially love this update. I'm a huge fan of Pokestrap, the name change, and increased complexity to the storyline. I especially approve of how Team Chance seems to have more of a purpose besides just being Team Rocket-esque bad guys.

One very small detail that may or may not be an error, but in the update about the 5 Oracles, you say that they come from different families but refer to their ancestors. That sorta doesn't make sense since you emphasize that they're not biologically related. But I could also just be misreading it.

This game looks like it's going to be absolutely spectacular game. Oh also after reading through the comments, I feel terrible to see so many people have bashed the music. I think it's great that your team is composing original works. Don't listen to the flamers who were talking bad about it. Anyways, whatever it is you and your team is doing, I suggest you just keep it up, because you truly have a masterpiece on your hands.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Wow. I created an account just to tell you how amazing this game looks. You and your team seems to be doing an incredible job. I cannot wait to give you my money. I especially love this update. I'm a huge fan of Pokestrap, the name change, and increased complexity to the storyline. I especially approve of how Team Chance seems to have more of a purpose besides just being Team Rocket-esque bad guys.

One very small detail that may or may not be an error, but in the update about the 5 Oracles, you say that they come from different families but refer to their ancestors. That sorta doesn't make sense since you emphasize that they're not biologically related. But I could also just be misreading it.

This game looks like it's going to be absolutely spectacular game. Oh also after reading through the comments, I feel terrible to see so many people have bashed the music. I think it's great that your team is composing original works. Don't listen to the flamers who were talking bad about it. Anyways, whatever it is you and your team is doing, I suggest you just keep it up, because you truly have a masterpiece on your hands.
This is not a lucrative based game. The creator and their team will not be selling this, as that would be highly illegal due to copyright infringement. The ancestor idea doesn't always mean blood relations. For example, the Japanese had samurai ancestors. These ancestors had families of their own. Therefore, as their families had continued to live, their heritage had too. You'd basically be saying the samurai were all biologically related.

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Pokedex

Hey looking great!!!! I was wondering though... will you have the national dex at first or a unique one? Also will starters be in the wild? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back