• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
errr im on windows 7, so what program would i want to use vs sappy thats windows 7 friendly? Thanks for all the replies.

I think someone took sappy and made a version that'd work on windows 7, but it was still buggy for me. I've only replaced one song, so I'm not very experienced, but there's a program floating around in the Toolbox that works like sappy, but with less bugs.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Here's what you could do. Just use setmapfooter instead of setmaptile. Besides, you'll save CPU power if you do that.

However, don't use Special 0xD5 and set your own flags (and so on) and change the setmapfooter argument to whatever map you're using.

So basically you change the map you're entering, and so you just make two maps! Convenience!

So what youre saying is the final script, in essence, would be something like
Spoiler:

right?

A few questions about this:

How do I figure out what the footer for the map is (A8, A4 for Shoal Cave for example)? I cant find it in Advancemap, even in the professional header view. I may just not be looking in the right place though.

And when, in the story, I go back in time to before the city is destroyed, I'd just clear the flag so that it loads the normal city map?

The special 0xD5 is a ASM function that checks what time it is and returns a positive or a negative for that specific flag based on what time it is, right? And that's why I wouldn't use either of those?

And this whole thing would work with Fly, so that when you Fly to the map, it would run this script before you see anything, and would thus load the destroyed city before you land, right? In that case, would I need to place a Fly block (where you land) in the destroyed map as well? Or would it take you to the same coordinates as the warp it at on the normal map?
EDIT: I took a look at it in the ROM. It looks like the setmapfooter changes just the tile placements and permissions and loads all the events from the original map? Because all the warps and items and such are on the low tide versions and there's no events whatsoever on the high tide versions. Meaning that everything the NPCs would do in the destroyed city would have to be scripted in the normal city? And this would mean all the Warps, Fly tiles, etc would be loaded from the original map as well?

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Thank you both. It's probably just because of my poor sense of scale...I feel like I'm going through free space very quickly. It's fairly difficult to comprehend sixteen million pieces of data. I'll just forge ahead, and if I run out of space, I'll expand it, since there's no harm done.
If done "right", it's impossible to run out of space - even if you do major coding with the game and make it completely different than it used to be (many GBA roms are 8MB so you could basically add another game inside your hacked rom if you wanted to and make a possibility of choosing which game to play after the intro is gone through).

However, the thing that takes a lot of room is doing minor changes to the scripts, texts, map data etc. you edit afterwards because I believe that the tools, that support repointing, will always leave the original data in the rom you edited afterwards and even by expanding long datas with a byte or two, you can already double the size it uses in the rom file.

To do the job "better" would be by opening a hex editor and doing a copy --> paste of the data you wish to repoint so that you'd be repointing it manually instead (yet it's no way impossible to just put down the offsets that define the data you wish to repoint, repoint the data) and then could delete the original data (by changing it to FF's in this case). That way, you could save a lot of space but it's up to you whether to use this method or not.
*I do so myself but when hacking GB/C games, it's necessary to be done.

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
My question got skiipped over, so I am just bumping it.

I was following a world map editing guide and got stuck adding the water routes -

The thread I posted in originally seems neglected so, can anyone help me?

clicky
(last post)

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
Years
Spoiler:

right?

How do I figure out what the footer for the map is (A8, A4 for Shoal Cave for example)? I cant find it in Advancemap, even in the professional header view. I may just not be looking in the right place though.

And when, in the story, I go back in time to before the city is destroyed, I'd just clear the flag so that it loads the normal city map?

The special 0xD5 is a ASM function that checks what time it is and returns a positive or a negative for that specific flag based on what time it is, right? And that's why I wouldn't use either of those?

And this whole thing would work with Fly, so that when you Fly to the map, it would run this script before you see anything, and would thus load the destroyed city before you land, right? In that case, would I need to place a Fly block (where you land) in the destroyed map as well? Or would it take you to the same coordinates as the warp it at on the normal map?
EDIT: I took a look at it in the ROM. It looks like the setmapfooter changes just the tile placements and permissions and loads all the events from the original map? Because all the warps and items and such are on the low tide versions and there's no events whatsoever on the high tide versions. Meaning that everything the NPCs would do in the destroyed city would have to be scripted in the normal city? And this would mean all the Warps, Fly tiles, etc would be loaded from the original map as well?

Well, the script is correct!
Now, figuring the mapfooter...

I don't know your version, so i'm going to use emerald as base, because i'm an emerald hacker.

Lets take by example ROUTE 101 (0.16)
f1dbd7389d7a90623b52c4a0845920d2.png

Now, we know that our map footer is 0x3EBC64.

In emerald, there's a table at 0x481DD4
Spoiler:

So! Each pointer points to a mapfooter. Lets now search our mapfooter in the table. Reversing our mapfooter offset we get the pointer, and searching the pointer in rom, we get... 0x481E14. That's where the pointer is stored. Now subtract the offset with the table pointer. You get 0x40. Now, divide by 0x4 (4bytes per entry). You get 0x10. BUT we're not done yet... When using setmapfooter, the game subtracts 1 to the mapfooter we input... So, if you want to set route 101 mapfooter, you put 0xF, because 0x10-0x1 = 0xF.
There you go, you just found you mapfooter! :D

Yes, mapfooter changes only the tiles and gfx stuff, you need to program every npc in the original map. Mapfooter changes this plus permissions:
6d32e6776cc891ae61d32da58bc8c43f.png

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 21, 2012
Using a different tileset to create a building

I'm trying to map a bulding in Vermillion City using the tileset from Saffron. How do I do that?

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2016
Me and my girlfriend want to edit the sprites/tiles in Pokemon Crystal. Does anyone know what tool we should be using? I've looked everywhere but there only seem to be gold/silver tools.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2012
Does anyone know how to gender lock the game into male only on pokemon ruby?. All the dialogue I have added would only be relevant for a boy, So I wanna make it so you cant choose girl at the beginning.

master morty

Master Spriter
Years
Advance Map map insertion Question

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this (if it isn't, then please just tell me so,) but in Advance Map, whenever I create new space to insert a map and it inserts, the name of the new map is always "LITTLEROOT TOWN" and I can't change it without changing the entire name of Littleroot Town itself. Is there a way to insert maps that have their own unique names, or at least have the name of another pre-existing location than Littleroot?

redriders180

Years
Does anyone know how to gender lock the game into male only on pokemon ruby?. All the dialogue I have added would only be relevant for a boy, So I wanna make it so you cant choose girl at the beginning.
It would probably require alot of hex editing...It'd probably be much simpler to just change the dialogue to work with both genders.

I'm trying to map a bulding in Vermillion City using the tileset from Saffron. How do I do that?
In Advance Map, go to the 'Header' tab. Near the bottom, it'll say "used tilesets", and have two numbers, "0", which should always be "0" for outdoor maps, and another number, which varies from town to town. Vermillion City's tileset is "6", and Saffron City's tileset is "11". Change the 6 to an 11, and you'll have all of Saffron's tiles.

Spoiler:

right?

All events work fine, like sonic said. If you have the newer version of A-map, finding the footer is easy. When you first open a rom in A-map, click on "Connection List" instead of "From Header". It'll list all the maps in the game, along with "CL:[number]". The [number] is the header number, in decimal. Convert the number to hex, and you're all set :)

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this (if it isn't, then please just tell me so,) but in Advance Map, whenever I create new space to insert a map and it inserts, the name of the new map is always "LITTLEROOT TOWN" and I can't change it without changing the entire name of Littleroot Town itself. Is there a way to insert maps that have their own unique names, or at least have the name of another pre-existing location than Littleroot?

The number of names is restricted, so you can't add any more without a whole big mess. You can change the name to a pre-existing one easily enough as well. Open up the "Header" tab, and where there's a drop down for "Littleroot", click the dropdown, and select any other name. It won't change immediately, unless you "refresh", by pushing F5.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
ok im starting to play around with scripting and changing the trainers pokemon lvs etc, i said screw music for now but thanks for the help, my new question is how to i find the trainer id? For example the trainers in virdian forest how do i know what number they are to change there pokemon in pet?

redriders180

Years
ok im starting to play around with scripting and changing the trainers pokemon lvs etc, i said screw music for now but thanks for the help, my new question is how to i find the trainer id? For example the trainers in virdian forest how do i know what number they are to change there pokemon in pet?

Open up their script, and look for the "trainerbattle" command. It's layed out like so:

Code:
trainerbattle [battle type] [battle number] [reserved] [challenge text] [defeat text]

The second number is the battle number :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hello, there.
When you want to catch a Pokemon game crashes, as shown in the video.
Someone knows what happens? How do you solve?

Video: http://youtu.be/iLbQL-PZJiQ

Is it a ROM that has been vandalized (in other words... screwed up the coding)? If so, then you may need to find a proper ROM that hasn't been edited. Some ROM sites have some damaged ROMs there, so you might want to test them out to see if they haven't had things added into them. 'Cause that's the only cause I can think of that is having an effect on the PokéBall stop moving after catching it.

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
Is it a ROM that has been vandalized (in other words... screwed up the coding)? If so, then you may need to find a proper ROM that hasn't been edited. Some ROM sites have some damaged ROMs there, so you might want to test them out to see if they haven't had things added into them. 'Cause that's the only cause I can think of that is having an effect on the PokéBall stop moving after catching it.

Do you refer to a Rom used to patch?
It is a hack of a friend, he asked me to ask here because he isn't registered in pokecommunity.
Is a bug that have been detected and is present in all backups.
Don't have a fix?

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
Hey, how do I access scripts allready in the game?(More specifically, the one that determine where you start when you create your character) I have both advance map and PKSV atm

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Hello :)

I've been trying to change the professor oak sprite in FR and nothing I try seems to work. I'm relatively new to ROM hacking. Using unlz.gba I'm able to change the sprite and the transparency works but the palette is all wrong. It's a mixture of blues and bright pinks. I can send a picture if you don't understand what the sprite looks like after it's inserted.

So I've narrowed it down to the palette being the problem. I've tried multiple offsets for oak in APE. The only one that seems to work is "00460568" but that changes the background as well.

Does anybody know the OAK INTRO offset that does not include the background?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back