• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*The Game Disc Cannot Be Read*

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
How careful are you with handling your video games? In other words, how often did you ever had video games that were discs that became too scratched up to read anymore? Or, pretty much any games that no longer works due to... technical difficulties? What video games were they? And if so, how often (if at all) do you replace those broken video games?

For example, nowadays, I'm more careful with handiling all of my video games, but, I can't say I was that careful when I was younger. I've had a Spyro: Year of the Dragon disc for the Playstation, but, I was careless and the disc broke in too. I never gotten then chance to replace it, and, well, I've regretted it ever since. :x

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
I had my first copy of Mario kart and my brother scratched it! Then my sister scratched my Plants V.s Zombies disk!

Yukari

I tend to be careful ever since my copy of Kingdom Hearts broke. And I grew up. It's really not worth replacing my games.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
I've always been extra careful with all of my things; electronics especially. My parents were not rich people, I didn't have a lot of things growing up. So everything was always treated with extra care to try to make it last longer.

And especially now that I'm buying these things myself, lol, I don't even like to buy used copies when I can avoid it. I don't want someone else's scratched up piece of crap. More often than not, it's not worth the discount to me. It just won't last as long as a new one, and for the $10 or $15 difference, it doesn't make sense to me. I want it in pristine condition, and usually the only way that's gonna happen with a physical copy is if I buy it new.

The only disc I have that can't be read anymore is - technically - my boyfriend's copy of Smash Melee. He brought it over, all excited, last summer. It runs okay for the most part, and goes to the "cannot be read" screen every so often. I sold my copy years ago, so it wasn't a huge deal to me. He was disappointed, though, until I got Smash for my Wii U, lol.

Years
I've always tried to make sure my game discs didn't get scratched, but I've still lost a few due to the few times I get a...little more careless than usual.

One of them was my copy of Sonic Heroes, which wasn't all that difficult to replace, it was just annoying to have to replace it in the first place. And honestly, I could have gone without replacing it since it still worked, but the sound was out of sync with the game and it drove me crazy. I don't remember how that got scratched.

But the game that I lost that made me start trying to be especially careful with my games: Final Fantasy Tactics. I had somehow managed to snag a copy when it first came out, and I had already had it for a while when one morning I decided that I wanted to play it. I think I left the disc on the floor for whatever reason (I don't remember why), it wasn't even for that long, in that short amount of time one of my siblings accidentally scratched it, and in the process of trying to "fix" it I ended up damaging the disc beyond repair. I don't think it would boot up at all. And it took me a while to acquire a new copy, since I had to wait until they re-released it as a Greatest Hits title before I ever saw it again where I was.

So yeah.

I don't like having to replace games, especially if they're games that weren't easy to find for me, so I try to be very careful with them. :D And so far it's worked. Aside from the games above, the other games I still own...well, they might have a few scratches from normal wear and tear (especially my PS games), but they still work well considering the age of some of them.

Years
I've been consistently playing video games since I was six years old and I gotta say... somehow I've never broken, scratched, or otherwise compromised any of my game discs/cartridges I've ever owned. Yay?

pkmin3033

I used to be horrendously paranoid about scratching my game discs, but I've never broken any of my games, which is surprising because in my youth I had a very volatile temper when things didn't go my way. I'm still careful with my discs now, but I don't treat them as though they were made of glass. The only game I've ever had to replace due to fault was Pokemon X, and that was not because I'd mishandled it.

That said, my copy of Baten Kaitos' first disc did stop working due to a scratch on it at one point. I got it repaired at Gamestation and it worked fine.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Usually I try to be careful with my games. Sometimes they get a little scratched anyway. But normally they still work fine. I did break my first copy of Grandia though. Broke the disc right in half. I don't remember wtf I was doing that got it broken though. Then the other day I tried to start a new file on Oblivion, got 15 minutes into the game....and it glitched the fuck out on me. Looked at the disc, and it was covered in scratches. Don't remember it being like that before. And then there's my Kingdom Hearts I disc, which is scratched up a lot....and it works perfectly fine until partway through the credits. Go figure.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I am careful, but bloody hell my Destiny disc is so unreadable. I have to put it in my Xbox One about 10 times before it starts working. It's really aggravating.

Granted, that might just be the result of plugging in 250+ hours into that game haha.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Oh god I'm so not careful with my things. I think dust was my biggest enemy, and the fact that I always neglected to put games back into their cases. And when I do, I usually put them in the wrong case (I still do this, but at least my games are safe in a case :D).

I'm so glad digital games are a thing now.

I also dropped my original DS so much the hinge that connected the two screens snapped. :x

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
The Game Disc Cannot Be Read

Oh the bane of my young life. I was never careful with my games as a child, which is where most of my game collection comes from. In only the past 4 or 5 years have I actually started taking care of my games. Half of my games now are too scratched up to play, and most of the ones that I would actually care to replace cost an arm and a leg. I know my Tron Bonne hardly works anymore, loading screens take upwards of 20 minutes and that's even if they decide to load. If Digimon World decides to get through the first cutscene, then I'm still lucky if it decides to even let me get my first digimon. My original copies of FFX, FFXII, KH and KH 2 are all scratched and are beyond any kind of repair. GTA 1 still works, but is prone to freezing and skipping.

As a kid I would get bored of playing one game, take it out and toss it on the floor. Then I would put in a new game, get bored of it, take it and toss it on the floor. And just repeat over and over until there's about 20 games on the floor. I used to be even more irresponsible than I am now.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
I've always been very careful with my video games, even as a little kid. Sadly, that hadn't stopped my Wario World and Super Smash Bros. Melee discs from getting too scratched to play, and we had to get rid of both after a while. I've never had any other games break on me from handling them too roughly, though I used to be pretty lazy about putting discs back in their own cases after taking them out to play another one (and sometimes still am, depending).

Mikekillkill

Musket Marine
Years
Yeah... Spilled milk on my Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne disk, and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos disk...
I wasn't too happy about that... and im suprised my Starcraft disc still works after i let it collect dust, it's been scratched into oblivion... Brood war is fine tho (it's in my laptop currently)

Years
The title of this thread gave me a mini panic attack.

I saw that message too many times when I was younger and just got my PS2. Often times whenever I took a disc out of its case, I never put it back in. They would usually just be laying around on tables or on top of the PS2, so dust and other things ruined a lot of my games for me.

I'm much more careful with my games now, especially since games are so expensive. I make sure that each game is stored properly in their cases so that I never have to experience a scratched/broken disc again.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I'm extremely careful with my games. I've never ruined a disc or broken one. I've broken one controller in my life and that was cause I got so pissed at the game (I was young), but besides that, I've been lucky to never damage very expensive stuff like the games or anything! :)

Years
How about when it comes to cleaning? Do you guys clean your discs/controllers regularly?

I occasionally used a small cloth to clean some of my disc, which may or may not have helped. I clean my controllers semi-regularly, however. (when I visually notice that they could be better)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Nah, I don't clean my stuff regularly. Usually only do it when there seems to be issues with the disc being read or if I just so happen to notice a fingerprint or something on it.

Back