• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Yeah, you should probably stick to over 800000. It's normally safe around there. I tend not to touch below that number, as a precaution. Yeah, you may wanna try again on your backup with a higher offset.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
nevermind i fixed it.
:(, but some of my sprites turn into this when i insert them:
Spriteinsertfail-1.png

but only some.
I think you should use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor,put in the pictures,click the "find free space" button and click OK. It always works for me.(Use "synchronize palettes for no palette corruption).
I have an another question:
I export all tracks of the Mauville city theme, then import them replacing the lavender town theme. When i click "Play" it says that Sappy stopped working.
What should i do?

A-Trainer's search tool doesn't work,just freezes the tool. Is it supposed to work? O.o

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
A-Trainer's search tool doesn't work,just freezes the tool. Is it supposed to work? O.o
Yes, it's supposed to work. Per say, it works for me, but that really might be personal problem. You see, A-text didn't work for me when I needed it, but I didn't bother in the end. However, I believe that you should post in the tool's thread or PM the tool maker if the problem is all about it. Imo.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
Yeah, you should probably stick to over 800000. It's normally safe around there. I tend not to touch below that number, as a precaution. Yeah, you may wanna try again on your backup with a higher offset.

Okay thanks, Just one last question, will i need to do anything other than repoint when i insert it again? like i know that the messed up one will stay there, but it wont do anything, will it?

@Xoax, in Wichu's do i need to insert both front and back, or all 4 at once? because ive used that before, but the pallettes mess up with me only inserting the front.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Okay thanks, Just one last question, will i need to do anything other than repoint when i insert it again? like i know that the messed up one will stay there, but it wont do anything, will it?

@Xoax, in Wichu's do i need to insert both front and back, or all 4 at once? because ive used that before, but the pallettes mess up with me only inserting the front.

When \using wichus tools the easiest way is to import the normal front clique sync. palettes. then re-import the spirte . that shud fix the problem of pallet issue?

Cardboard Roof

PokéROM Hacker
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
Scripts (Example)

What I want:
Spoiler:

What I get:
Spoiler:

I use xse

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
What I want:
Spoiler:

What I get:
Spoiler:

I use xse

Try reading this post. It looks to me as though the terminator byte of the first string got overwritten so XSE continues to read the data until the end of the second string. It can be easily fixed by repointing the first string.

Nathaniel.

is here
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2012
I'm fairly new to all the ROM hacking stuff, but I have a simple question. What is the offset location of the Pokémon (Nidoran) that OAK releases at the introduction? And what byte do I need to modify to change the Pokémon? I know there's a tool, but it did not work for me.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
Years
I've been creating a level script that requires the player to warp from one map to another.
It all works fine apart from one tiny detail.
On warping to the new map the player is automatically facing down.
I want him to be facing right.

This is probably incredibly easy, it's just slipped my mind.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I've been creating a level script that requires the player to warp from one map to another.
It all works fine apart from one tiny detail.
On warping to the new map the player is automatically facing down.
I want him to be facing right.

This is probably incredibly easy, it's just slipped my mind.

A type 0x04 level script (on the destination map) with "spriteface 0xFF 0x04" should to the trick.

Snake Oil Salesman

A mentlegen of science
Years
For instance, let's use editing a trainer.
Say you wanna edit Ace Trainer Joel (Disregard the name, this is an example.)
You'd naturally wanna search for Joel. So long as Joel only appears in the ROM once, you shouldn't have any problem finding him at all... though that wont always be the case.

From there all you really need to do to start learning is fiddle around with the bytes that come after his name.
You can change the Pokemon he has, his class (Ace Trainer and the like), whether or not he is a double battle, etc. etc.
Remember to make a backup before all this, if you screw something up, you might not remember everything you did... good to be careful eh?
After making the changes, open the ROM up in your Emulator and check what you did.
You could just as easily open it up in a tool to see if you wanna see EXACTLY what you did, cause the trainer's data would be different in the tool too.

Changing sprites can be done that way too, but you'll need to make sure to have the offset of a trainer image handy, or you wont have anything to change it to.

This is the same basic way you can change about anything in a ROM...
When I first started my Hex Editing learning, I started with item hacking.
Since I don't have a hex editor that supports table files, (You'll wanna learn about those too, google is your friend) I had to search for a bunch of random numbers, it's possible to edit it that way, but it's easier to use a table...

Been a bit since I posted, but thanks for the help. I also had one more questions: I've gained some skills since starting (mainly in scripting. A bit less in map and hex editing), but I really don't know where to go from here. The way I see it, you can get the most practice by joining a team, however, you can only join a team if you have enough practice. What can I do to improve my skills at this point?

Years
Hi, I have a problem: Usually, all my warps work fine. However, one particular warp causes the screen to turn black (normal with warps) and next the game to freeze. The data input in AdvanceMap seems OK to me, but I'll post it anyway:

Map: 3.1
Warp no.: 2
Unknown: 00
Goto: Warp no. 0, Bank 4, Map 3.

Map: 4.3
Warp no.: 0
Goto: Warp no. 2, Bank 3, Map 1.
Warp no.: 1
Warp no.: 2

What could be wrong with it? All other warps work fine...

EDIT: This happens the same with an other map, both maps use the same tiles, but the tileset is used in many other maps too.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I've gained some skills since starting (mainly in scripting. A bit less in map and hex editing), but I really don't know where to go from here. The way I see it, you can get the most practice by joining a team, however, you can only join a team if you have enough practice. What can I do to improve my skills at this point?

to start off, get yourself some tools and roms,
make hacks that you say nothing about
just make them for practice and learning

That quote is one of the best I've found on these forums. A lot of people make the mistake of posting a thread for their very first hack. To put it bluntly, every single person's first hack was terrible. All the good hackers were newbies at one point and their first hacks were just as bad as any newbie's. You may think that your first hack is awesome but when you look back on it two years from now (if you stick around that long) you'll realize that it wasn't actually that great. What you should do is take BigSteve's advice and just hack for the sake of hacking. Then, once you feel you have a greater understanding of the various aspects of ROM Hacking, you can apply for a team or post a hack which you are more proud of.

Last edited:

Snake Oil Salesman

A mentlegen of science
Years
That quote is one of the best I've found on these forums. A lot of people make the mistake of posting a thread for their very first hack. To put it bluntly, every single person's first hack was terrible. All the good hackers were newbies at one point and their first hacks were just as bad as any newbie's. You may think that your first hack is awesome but when you look back on it two years from now (if you stick around that long) you'll realize that it wasn't actually that great. What you should do is take BigSteve's advice and just hack for the sake of hacking. Then, once you feel you have a greater understanding of the various aspects of ROM Hacking, you can apply for a team or post a hack which you are more proud of.

Alright, I think I see where he was heading with that. Thanks for the tip.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
When ever I open my hack with VBA my game never goes past the "Gamefreak" screen. Could someone help me with this?

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
can some help me wth my warp? The one connecting Mauville town to the Game corner.
I moved it and now it doesnt seem to exist when i walk onto it.

Anyone know any reason why?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
can some help me wth my warp? The one connecting Mauville town to the Game corner.
I moved it and now it doesnt seem to exist when i walk onto it.

Anyone know any reason why?

Does the tile it is on have the right Block Behaviour to use a Warp? (Look in Block Editor, select the tile in the left column, look at the right for all the info)

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2010
Hi;
I've watched many scripting videos on youtube and they have been very helpful.
However things that have not been answered are;
1 - How do you edit where your trainer jumps out of the van (i know how to move the van) at the beginning of Ruby.
2 - How do you edit which house your mother exits from and then takes you back to, according to whether you are a boy or a girl.
http ://www . imgjoe . com/x/youtubespvp . jpg
I use Pokescript Btw

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back