• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game titles - What would you change?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
So there's always 2 versions of a single game and a special edition or definite version of the original 2 per generation. Since Gen 5 and 6, it hasn't been so often. But the naming system has always bothered me. Particularly Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Platinum. I believe the two should have switched. Pokemon Platinum makes more sense to be connected to Pokemon Gold and Silver. Crystal seems to be more connected to Diamond and Pearl.

Other names that bother me: Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. Now im sure Game freak could've thought up something else, but I always believed game freak was saving Alpha and Omega for a new generation or perhaps the last generation of pokemon. Now that it is used for the remakes....im worried about next gen's naming conventions. Im worried we will get Pokemon Orange and Pokemon Purple, King and Queen, or whatever bad names. As much as Diamond and Pearl was an interesting name, I to this day dont see how their polar opposites, let alone Platinum.

Anyone else have a name that bothers them?

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Names don't really bother me, but I also never thought the names of the games really had much to do with the game itself anyway. For the most part it just seems like it correlates to the mascot pokemon on the box. Though the more recent games seem to have more of a connection with the name of the game, the mascot pokemon, and the overall plot. But it's still pretty loose.

Anyway as for Diamond and Pearl they're similar yet different. Just like the games. They're both minerals yet they have different qualities. I get your point about how the names Platinum and Crystal should of been switched, but I think this goes back to the mascot Pokemon they represent.

I guess if you also think about it Suicune was the mascot of the third game of g/s, but it's not the trio master of ho-oh or lugia which is the typical theme and mascot of the third game. So Suicune tying both games and mascots together as Platinum doesn't necessarily make sense. As for Platinum you could say it got paired with diamond and pearl because giratina lives in an alternate dimension. It's opposite and bizarre from the other two in its trio. but idk this is literally me just guessing...

Or you could say diamonds, pearls, and platinum are very durable, they're known to last the "test of time" or they're timeless pieces. The theme of the mascots were space and time.

Enigmatic Emolga

abandoned account, pls delete if seen
Years
im worried about next gen's naming conventions.
Of course, we can still hope for Plus and Minus, though I have no idea what a third version would be.

One of the things I don't get about Gen 1 is the fact that they changed the games we got to Red and Blue, while their original pair was Red and Green. Of course, they then got their Blue, which our Red and Blue were based on. Other than that confusion, I don't really see many other names that bother me...Oh wait, Crystal bothers me too. I would've preferred it to be Bronze, so we could have the whole gold, silver and bronze thing, though I don't see how Entei would fit in unless it was just being hunted down by Eusine.

About the Gen 4 names. I always had the mindset that said diamonds, pearls and platinum were really valuable, as were time and space (in a way). Not sure how I can relate Giratina and the Distortion World to this, but oh well.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Title of Pokémon games don't bother me in any way, to be exact. I do find myself wondering why they're named such and such every once in a while, but at end of the day, what matters to me most is how well I'm enjoy their video games and how much I'm looking forward to their next release.

It's very understandable as to why some of feel the names Crystal and Platinum should be swapped--second generation games are based of metals, while fourth gen ones are mainly directed towards crystals--but I believe their current method keeps their line more dynamic. When we hear the names Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum together, this helps to make it easy for us to distinguish which might possibly be their third-installment and which is not.

As for titles for next generation of games, Plus and Minus do sound rather cute, if you ask me! However, I'm not sure if this would happen, especially considering that the Pokémon these title would represent (Plusle and Minun) are primarily from generation three, and not seven.

Years
I don't really have much preference on the names of the games itself, they have to be after something, and if they're paired versions they have to have some relation. There's not much for me to object to with them.

tioeduardo27

tioeduardo
Years
Wow, OP! I never thought about this and when you swap Crystal with Platinum it really DOES make MUCH MORE SENSE! Now I know what are the names of my GSC and DPPt hacks! hahaha

About naming, I don't think they're a big of a problem.
I am very glad they didn't go until the end with the colors, such as Cyan, Magenta, etc... but on the other hand I don't think X and Y are good names. I don't know what to expect from the next gen, but I'm sure they will think about cool names.

P.S.: I don't think there will be a "Pokémon Z" or a "Pokémon Delta Emerald" or this sort of things.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It's definitely nice to see them not sticking with a particular theme (colors, metals, and gems, for example), as that would get rather stale. So long as things are switched up every generation, I'm positive much of us wouldn't mind.

jacktheking

Hatched Egg
Years
I agree! Pokemon Diamond and Pearl is a great name! Hmm, the three names that bothered me is Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire and Crystal. Well, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is too long to be a game name.. Oh.. maybe not?

Hmm, Crystal? I dont have the feeling of 'crystal' when seeing that game.

However, I dont agree Crystal and Platinum should be switch. Platinum sound great to be a Diamond and Pearl remake.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Diamond vs Pearl. its not the worst title, but i dont think its the best.

Personally i would prefer Platinum with Gold and Silver. I think it suits it better. But i also think Crystal sounds like a ROM hack to me. And that's saying a lot considering I actually bought Crystal at the store.

I also believe Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are too long. But i believe Omega/Alpha can be used for anything....then again....so can Heart and Soul....

Back