• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scrapbox phase-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Finally, the Scrapbox is gonna be gone.
It's troublesome handling the Scrapbox. >.<

I really never actually saw the real purpose of the Scrapbox, anyway.
So good riddance, I guess?
(Although I need to find a new place for my hack's help thread. =/ )

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I'm setting my thumb sideways.

Not down because it IS spam, and I wonder, for the time up until it's closed, are thread revivals and other rule-breaking posts taken into any consideration at all?

And not up because I always had the image of the scrapbox topic makers as writers that still write down their details with a pencil, and Progressing Hacks as the publishing company that views those ideas. Oh well, I guess that people who really work on their hacks do and decide everything on their own up until the point that they qualify for PHacks. I liked that whole thing though, those rough sketches, those pre-fruition ideas (not the spamfest).

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
I realize why you think the scrapbox is unnecessary anymore...
But i'm pretty well assured that after this attemp to kill the scrapbox people will take thier posting more seriously, I definitly will. Maybe give it another chance change this into a warning, a last chance kinda thing...

But in heart the scrapbox is just part of PC, so here are a few more reasons why we should keep it open:

If the scrapbox is kept open then people will be able to broadcast thier hack BEFORE moving it into a more respected section, it also allows them to see whether or not thier hack idea/hack will be successfull or popular at all... I.E. take one of my older unsuccessfull hacks for example....Clear Steam(i know the name is lame....), Apparently my idea was common and there were many like it in PC not to mention that it was exactly like teh first few episodes of pokemon... thus i learned and tried to diferenciate the story more :)

It's a great place to test your skills and compete against other hacks, to see which one get the most attention and more importantly to measure how you stand up to other hacks that are already there.

the scrapbox is classic, you can't have a middle and end without a begginging, it doesn't look or sound right...

this is not really a reason but it's a theory that can maybe proove to be successful... Inorder to get into the scrapbox you must have 20 comments, worked on another hack for any positioin and have one screenshot...

^^i think that will delete ALOT of spam...as this way the hackers can get a bit of experience before starting their own hack, and it's not like they just joined and posted a random thread, and the screenshot shows that this is not just an idea it has actually been started. :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Maybe you could keep the scrapbox, but put some requirements for the hacks/help threads.
This will also change some progressing hack rules too.

Possible new Scrapbox rules:
Have Storyline and Features
Have at least 1 screenshot/map
Have a demo

Possible new Progressing Hack rule:
Have a alpha/beta

Please don't shut down the scrapbox! Some people like me want to see if their hacks will work, or will have good popularity/support.

If you MUST shut down the scrapbox, you could have a Scrapbox Thread in the Rom Hacking Section. It would serve the same purpose of the scrapbox, but be just a thread.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Maybe you could keep the scrapbox, but put some requirements for the hacks/help threads.

Have a demo

Possible new Progressing Hack rule:
Have a alpha/beta

Please don't shut down the scrapbox! Some people like me want to see if their hacks will work, or will have good popularity/support.

If you MUST shut down the scrapbox, you could have a Scrapbox Thread in the Rom Hacking Section. It would serve the same purpose of the scrapbox, but be just a thread.

The mods have probably thought this to be best (I want new rules too, I love the Scrapbox), so... We cannot change their minds.

As for your thread idea, that will get WAY too big, and doesn't help get criticism for hacks as much as a Sub forum, as it will be harder to reply, and people can report their hack again and again... As well as SPAM of requests, solving nothing.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011

The mods have probably thought this to be best (I want new rules too, I love the Scrapbox), so... We cannot change their minds.

As for your thread idea, that will get WAY too big, and doesn't help get criticism for hacks as much as a Sub forum, as it will be harder to reply, and people can report their hack again and again... As well as SPAM of requests, solving nothing.

The only reason I'm trying to keep the scrapbox is because of this post:

You do realise this is preventable, correct?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
The only reason I'm trying to keep the scrapbox is because of this post:

But why even think about closing it? They may have thought of these, and some of the ideas suggested about a single thread have many flaws. I agree about Approval needed for the Scrapbox, but the mods will be getting requests none-stop for pointless things... but the Progressing Hacks may also by closing it down. Interesting, in order to make a choice, you need to weigh all possibilities, but that can only be done by guessing on the noobs, and their... Unreliable behaviour. Basically, if less noobs spammed in the first place, Scrapbox would be here indefinite, but if more come and spam the Progressing Hacks Mod Approval box, it may come back soon, through demand. Interesting, isn't it?

(I am in no way saying SPAM mods to get the Scrapbox to come back. If you think i said that, you are an idiot)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

Have a demo
I agree with with the first two rules, but not the last one.
you don't need a demo, if you got proof you're working on it(1 screenie/map).
those two rules would get rid of alot of the SPAM.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
Totally outraged by this!!!

Hacks like Metallic Ice and my hack Sands of Time have dedicated followers! I certainly will not give up on my hack whatsoever!!! I needed help and without the scrapbox it would have been deleted as without that help it wouldn't be good enough for progressing hacks!!!

I hope Sands of Time can be moved to Progressing Hacks. I've PMed Antony La about requesting a move. I am dedicated to my hacks completion, I don't just give up on things. It is unfair to punish those who work so hard simply because of some poeple's laziness. And it might not even be laziness, some people may see major changes in their life that means they cannot continue working so hard. I think the solution is to give the scrapbox stricter rules but not to abolish it completely! The people in my hack's team have worked incredibly hard and you can see the evidence in the thread!

I just hope it can be moved to Progressing Hacks...

Cello

Tonight!
Years
I remember two years ago, when there was no Scrapbox at all, there was much less spam around the rom-hacking boards and the amount of spam threads in the Hacks Showcase (there was no Progressing Hacks either) was also manageable by the mods.

And the only board where you can post threads without moderation approval is (was) the Scrapbox. Threads in Rom-Hacking or Emulation are moderated as well. Contrary to what you said, this will be a way to filter the spam. Filtering unapproved threads is easier than flitering open threads just floating around a board, because unapproved threads are listed on the ModCP so the mods can check them all at once.

I understand what you're saying, and I do respect the decisions made, so hopefully you don't think that was my way of bashing the team.
I just think the decision is a bit rash to close what appears to be to a lot of us users a necessary section to ROM hacking over spam.

Spam happens. There are ways of preventing it, but it makes things a lot slower since the ways to prevent it are likely require the moderation team to be online and constantly having to approve things, and I mean that just doesn't happen with the way things are around here.
I've heard from so many people who have requested for a thread to be approved and it not being posted until days later, and that was after those users have constantly had to pester the mods for them to take a look at their thread.
How does it take days, let alone a day, to approve a thread when you say thread approval is much easier for the mods? Especially when spam is usually taken care of effective immediately as long as someone is online to take care of it.

Also, I don't know how the population was around here two years ago but the users differ from who was here then, so a two year difference (with most of the users being used to having the scrapbox around) may work against those facts.

I have my doubts about this being any way to help anybody, but I know there's not much I can say to change your mind.
This is just going to have to be one of those wait and see situations.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Yeah, there are a lot of people posting in the thread to close it but that still doesn't mean there aren't others who want it open, and I'm sure anybody who's just getting started on hacking would want it here too. You're doing more hurting than helping.
I seriously doubt the scrapbox being open is burning anyone's eyes out. The only people it's hurting are the people who have to watch over it and I've already made the reason why it's hurting them very clear.

The decision to close the scrapbox is a little bit of an overreaction. Over spam?
Is moderation just a fancy title or does it actually mean taking care of the spam so that all of us who post naturally in the section can enjoy it?
Posting your ideas for others to see is a very exciting thing to be doing, and that's why I think it's necessary to keep this open.

You think you'll be cutting down work by doing this but you'll be having to approve threads next, which already seems to be too much of an issue to be done in a day to three days when all it takes is reading a thread and making sure it meets posting standards (which takes more time than closing a spam thread, yeah?). At this rate we may as well lose progressing hacks too, but I probably shouldn't be giving any more ideas. :cheeky:

Last edited:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Threads may seem to be "overqualified" but the owners are holding back on the progressing hacks for a reason. Usually the best hacks are located in the Progressing hacks section, and if you find some hack with a few non-edits in the beggining then it wouldn't look as great now would it? Some people have alot of mapping and scripting done but they haven't even done any spriting, or tile insertion which would make thier hack look nicer :) thus they hold back on the prog hacks section... it's all about reputation, standard and opinion.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
They all ready made up there minds on this section. The only solution to this is to have a Scrapbox Thread in the ROM Hacking section :)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
They all ready made up there minds on this section. The only solution to this is to have a Scrapbox Thread in the ROM Hacking section :)

That wouldn't really work well. Or at least, not as well as the forum. Reasons: SPAM, harder to reply and give hack criticism (HUGE quotes), easy to re-post ideas, harder to add features without re-posting ideas. Probably more ways it wouldn't work, but... Can't think of any more at the moment.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
That wouldn't really work well. Or at least, not as well as the forum. Reasons: SPAM, harder to reply and give hack criticism (HUGE quotes), easy to re-post ideas, harder to add features without re-posting ideas. Probably more ways it wouldn't work, but... Can't think of any more at the moment.

Also, it'd be almost impossible to "bump" hack ideas. People would just say their opinions about the hack ideas posted on the last page. People would just have to repost their ideas.
Also, the "thread" solution wouldn't be too popular, and not many people would post or even check the thread.

I'm disappointed and happy at the same time about this. I fully understand your decision to delete this section was quite wise and rightful, seeing as the scrapbox is turned into a junkyard. But i do doubt your decision a little. Scrapbox was the only place for hack ideas, and now that it's gone, all of it's spam will be "transfered" to other sections.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
I think that game ideas should be discussed in a writing section as until it is a game it is a creative piece of literature waiting to be melded in to the hardware of a hack rom. As I said before people who really know they have a solid story which are really the hacks we should care about as they don't keep saying oh no this won't work, scrap it then pull out something else. Really if you are a true hacker you would MAKE it work. Logistics push a lot of people away from this as at the moment they cant pull it together and do what is needed so they keep stupefying their idea until the point its not creative at all and its scrapped for that. Plenty of people do this and just keep recycling out the same hack watered down and a new name. Also yes Hiroshi I understand mods can intervene at what makes the progressing hacks also as I stated the mods should just step up and realize this that our beloved progressing hacks should be kept relatively clean as it is now. Also is there not a storyline help thread which is now a stuck thread in the progressing hacks sections? Why not go there to look for improvement in your story? Well once again I emphasize hackers to think some things through before posting. Figure out if your hack will work with where you are at now and then post!

Bai :D

Ray: Looky here. The scrapbox isn't the only idea place :3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
~Teh Panda~ said:
Ray: Looky here. The scrapbox isn't the only idea place :3
I meant serious hack ideas. You don't expect any of these ideas to become a hack, do you?
So scrapbox maybe wasn't the only place for ideas, but maybe it was the best and most popular place for ideas.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

I meant serious hack ideas. You don't expect any of these ideas to become a hack, do you?
So scrapbox maybe wasn't the only place for ideas, but maybe it was the best and most popular place for ideas.

Most of us don't expect any of the ideas in the scrapbox to become hacks either.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
Thanks! I really hoped that this day will come.
I really hate and despise Scrapbox!

The stupid noobs just don't read the rules and
this is going to end the life of noobs!

And also, one phrase for everybody:
THE SCRAPBOX IS POINTLESS IN THE
FIRST PLACE!!

This is a dream come true!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back