• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm sort of similar to Hyper Voice; when it comes to selecting starters, I almost always end up picking the fire-type one. In Pokémon Y, though, I finally decided to do something different and went with Chespin. I'm glad I did, though; I love my Chesnaught. If used correctly, it could make an amazing wall. n_n"

Years
I actually loved the designs of all the Kalos starters, especially Froakie and Fennekin's lines. As for what type I tend to favor when choosing starters, it's usually the Water-type for me because I generally perform well with Water-types and their designs win me over most of the time.

The only time I didn't go for Water was SoulSilver (I liked Cyndaquil's line better than Totodile) and Platinum (Chimchar's line is my fave Sinnoh starter, plus he's a monkey which fits my Chinese zodiac sign). I even once used Turtwig in a previous playthrough of Platinum but that was where I learned I don't synergize well with Grass starters.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
I usually pick what creature appeals to me. I would've went with Fennikin, but the poor things evolution line was just...bleh. I wound up picking Chespin. He's so adorable and very durable!!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
On the physical side of things, Chesnaught is very durable, yeah. It's got one twenty-two Defense, which is a lot; this allows it to withstand about four to eight attacks in row without any sort of issue. The Pokémon could learn Synthesis (although, you'd have to breed it for that, I think), so it could recover its health whenever it wishes. :] Huge fan of this Pokémon.

Years
I enjoyed using Greninja, he's fast, learns some good attacks and when you have one with Protean it becomes a bit of a guessing game for the opponent because it changes Greninja's type when he uses an attack, essentially getting STAB on everything he uses. Even though I don't have Protean on mine, he's still awesome because heck yeah ninja frogs :D

Also had fun using Delphox thanks to the in-game trade with Shauna where she gives you the Kalos starter that is weak to yours type-wise. It seems to be a pretty good special attacker plus it's fairly fast as well. The movepool may be lacking but I love the whole mage fox thing, it's pretty cool.

Maybe I should try Chesnaught when I play Y but I know I don't have good synergy with the Grass starters, especially compared to Water where I usually have little issues.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Since Gen III, I've always chosen the grass starter first. At first glance, they just appeal to me. I always choose based on the unevolved stage (though Dewott would've swayed me away if my brother hadn't already chosen Oshawott).

As for Gen VI, Chespin won me over almost immediately; that inherent mischievousness and it's so adorable! My reaction to it in the anime was pretty much "aslkjcuec2 ajwncsj!" In the game, Chesnaught fits my defensive play-style perfectly. One of my Chesnaught survived a Skarmory's Brave Bird, and another survived a Crobat's Acrobatics! And they don't even have maximized Defense and HP! :D Spiky Shield is an awesome signature move, especially when used with Leftovers and my favorite move, Leech Seed.

The only other Kalosian starter I've trained so far is Fennekin in my French Y, but I haven't gotten far in that. Hmm, it's been a while since I've played. I don't even remember if I evolved it yet. >_<

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah, spiky shield and possible synthesis and vine whip and design also, makes Chesnaught a pearl. I heard some people being disappointed with it, but I'm really glad that Chesnaught is what came out of Quilladin instead of something even rounder 8)

Also Frogadier is in the anime now, no?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Haha, yeah, Quilladin. When they had first introduced it, they seriously had me worrying. I just wasn't too fond of its design, and thought that its evolution would turn out to be a huge ball of sorts. Glad that they've proven me wrong. As for Frogadier, I'm not too sure about that. I just don't keep up with the anime anymore, unfortunately. :(

Years
Hmm, I might be one of the only people that actually prefers Quilladin to Chesnaught- at least as far as its design is concerned. While I'm glad that Chesnaught didn't end up being a sumo hedgehog or something, Chesnaught just looks like a grumpy old man to me.

Actually, this may be one of the only generations where I prefer all of the middle evolutions of the starters than their final ones. Not that I dislike either Greninja or Delphox, I just like Frogadier and Braixen a little bit more.

Years
Haha, yeah, Quilladin. When they had first introduced it, they seriously had me worrying. I just wasn't too fond of its design, and thought that its evolution would turn out to be a huge ball of sorts. Glad that they've proven me wrong.

I remember how people were feeling when Quilladin was first revealed because they thought Chespin's final evo would be a spiked ball, but oh man Chesnaught threw us off-guard there. In fact, I love the middle evolution starters, especially the Unova and Kalos ones (don't know why, but they all look cool I guess) not to mention I love how badass Dewott and Frogadier turned out.

Even Braixen seems like one of the most interesting middle stage starter designs ever. Heck even Pignite is so damn cute thanks to the anime, given I love the personality they gave to Ash's Pignite in the anime, a cute badass.

I really want to see how Quilladin and Braixen will look in the anime after I liked how cool Frogadier looked.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Yeah, I remember, too. xD" I'm pretty fond of the middle evolutions, too, maybe aside from Quilladin. From generation five, my favorite would probably have to be Servine. To me, it looks very confident, which I really like. Dewott is my second favorite. Pignite is okay, but they definitely could have done better if they tried. From generation four, my favorites are Grotle and Prinplup. Monferno isn't bad, but those blue fur above its eyes just don't fit. It would've been a lot better if those were either yellow, brown, or dark red.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I love Dewott's design. Better than both Oshawott and its nose and Samurott and its four legged style.

Servine seemed a bit too... Sleek and its hands were sort of redundant and silly :p Pignite is cute in ways, but they really didn't have to make it that round. They could have given it a body more alike Grumpig's imo. I wouldn't have cared if it had made them more similar, pig pokémon and all. Or they could have kept Pignite on four legs. A four legged fighting type, now that's something. Else seen in Unova's legendary quartet trio.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Dewott does look really cool, his expression is like "dont worry, i got this". Servine looks okay, definitely better than its previous form. I do like Pignite´s cute (yes, i said cute) face, but its body is a bit too round. I actually really like Monfernos design, he reminds me of Rafiki from the Lion King :D

As for a middle evolution i dont like too much, Ivysaur: I think they got kind of lazy with it, since its basically a somewhat bigger Bulbasaur with some changes to its bulb on the back

Years
Do you think the anime reflects some of the ways you feel towards the starters? Like, I used to love Piplup...then the anime turned me off of it a bit with Dawn's bratty one.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah, Ivysaur is a bit uninspired. But it's cute in a way too. Not as cute as Bulbasaur, imo the cutest pokémon in existence, but still. It's okay. Bayleef was more of a fail O.o An elongated, awkward banana. Which in turn makes Meganium a tall banana with a flower ;) Oh, look at me bashing Chikorita's evos. I'm sorry :3 With Bulbasaur and Chikorita though, I just love them so much more than their evolutions. I think it's one of Pokémon's strongest points though - that there's something to love and dislike for everyone.

About anime affecting your view on pokémon, yes certainly! But mostly in positive ways actually. Snorlax and Oshawott are two examples of pokémon I began appreciating much more after seeing them in action in the anime. Scizor too, and probably many more. The old, static games didn't much convey how a pokémon moved or really behaved, so the anime was a great add.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't know, I actually like Ivysaur. It might not have much change in design when compared to Bulbasaur, but it's still cute. Same goes for Bayleaf. Also, yeah, anime does affect your view on Pokémon. I mean, if I ever wind up running into some shy Flygon in an anime episode, I'd instantly start thinking that all Flygon are shy and it's part of their personality and whatnot. I've had this kind of things happen to me plenty of times before. xD"

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I actually like Piplup more because of the anime. Dawn's Piplup can be bratty at times but the writers often exploit it for humor and Pokémon character development. The anime gives more personality to Pokémon than the games could ever do.
There was an episode from AG that had a Venusaur with an abnormally high tree, like the Maga's tree but on a normal Venusaur. And now I'm like, "do all Venusaur have awkward trees on them?"

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
All Venusaur have awkward trees on them. Especially Mega Venusaur.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Pfft, you guys. :P Without those trees on their back, they would look nothing more than an undersized hippo. Plus, their green skin color would look sort of awkward, too. Though, it would be nice if those trees were shorter. I mean, they're already short, but it definitely wouldn't to decrease their size just a little more.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Pfft, you guys. :P Without those trees on their back, they would look nothing more than an undersized hippo. Plus, their green skin color would look sort of awkward, too. Though, it would be nice if those trees were shorter. I mean, they're already short, but it definitely wouldn't to decrease their size just a little more.
Are you talking about Torterra or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back