• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2012
The Emboar line was the biggest disappointment for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved its power and wide move-pool, but its pitiful speed and defense killed it for me. Plus the only good fighting move it could learn was Brick Break (it could learn Superpower, but I'm not a big fan of it).

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I guess there were two Pokemon that disappointed me when playing my first playthrough. It was Liepard and Minccino. I was hoping for a dark-type Pokemon in my team, so I went for a Liepard. I could not pass the 2nd Gym with it. :(

During the B/W craze, I wanted to rename a Minccino after the Japanese name, Chillarmy. Then I realized that using it for battles is a bad idea. I trained it 5 levels higher than Elesa's Pokemon and still can't managed to beat them.

Both Pokemon were then replaced by Leavanny and Zebstrika.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2012
I think that Liepard/Purrloin was a massive letdown. Sure, it was a bit useful earlier in the game, but really, as said earlier, it's a throwaway pokemon, and I really don't like them. I even struggled to get it to level 20! I has really bad move pool in the early level like Shinx, but unlike Shinx, Luxuray was worth it... Liepard wasn't.

Cid

Years
Simipour was sadly not on par with my other Pokémon in battling prowess, so I did find that disappointing. I also got really sad that Simisear on my other playthrough was just slightly stronger but still not sturdy enough. It just gave me the impression that I should just outright store Pansage in the PC if ever I choose Tepig, I just didn't want to get disappointed again.

And before I forget, Archeops also turned out to be far from what I expected him to be.

RudeStyle

Artangels
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I was dissapointed with ALL the starters.

In my white game I didn't even use my starter and opted for Musharna and Liepard.
Both to be replaced again.

To be honest The Unova Pokedex was a massive let down.
The pokemon had par battling ability's.

Kota889

He who dwells in the Shadows
Years
Disappointments? Well, I have a lot of them. IMO, the starters sucked. all three of them. I liked most of the dark and ghost types, and a few of the steel and rock types.

Generally speaking though I find most of the pokemon unusable.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
Well, honestly, i was pretty disappointed in Zebstrika. I half expected him to be a force to be reckoned with, then found out the hard way he's a squishy little thing.

Years
I'm a bit disappointed that Druddigons base stat and especially it's speed weren't a bit higher. A Pokemon that cool-looking deserves better. :'(

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
Years
Pansear/Simisear. Ugh. That thing was just so hard to use. I ended up boxing it after Burgh. I literally couldn't use it with such a weak STAB in Incinerate.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
All the starters.

Plus Magnezone

STILL NO LEVITATE

Well, Magnezone isn't a Pokemon from gen 5. :x

But yeah, I didn't really expect anything great from Tepig/Emboar originally and as a result it didn't really disappoint me, luckily. I was actually quite pleased with them. XD; Oshawott/Snivy, however, haven't really used so can't judge.

Years
Pansear/Simisear. Ugh. That thing was just so hard to use. I ended up boxing it after Burgh. I literally couldn't use it with such a weak STAB in Incinerate.

Yeah, agreed on that.

You get it a Level 10, to help against Cilan's Pansage who will counter your Oshawott. The problem is that Pansear has to stick with the very weak Incinerate for 12 levels.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I had to stick with Pansear too, I had it to be like Lvl 15 until Pinwheel Forest, then 21 till Chargestone Cave. After Flame burst, things started looking OK, then the next problem, its still lvl 35 and all the routes are rainy. Couldn't train it there, so I had no choice but to evolve it and get Simisear to beat up Brycen. After that, I got Reshiram. It was a whole waste of time.

Doa

Analyzer
Years
This generation is worth its salt with all the great Pokemon it cranked out. Most of the Pokemon previous posters have found disappointing have redeeming qualities. However, I cannot forgive...

...Purrloin and Liepard.
Purrloin is annoying to fight, and even when I do catch one I never want to evolve it.

I seriously hate Liepard. It's not very pleasant to look at, and it doesn't measure up to the evolutions of other generic Pokemon. Even Watchog could decimate it.

...Roggenrola.
I haven't checked out its evolutions because I dislike it so. It is annoying to fight (especially when I'm looking for Woobat or something else), particularly because it has the ability Harden. Unlike past Rock-type cave dwellers, this guy doesn't seem to show any promise...not that I care for Rock-types.

The rest are fine. Actually, most of the rest are pretty decent, if not great.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
PURRLOIN...

So, shortly after tearing open the packaging for Pokemon white, and booted up the game and prepared from multiple fan gasms. It began veeeeeeery slooowwwly, as ALL Pokemon games do. Mainly because Game Freak doesn't want you to start with the running shoes. I got my Starter, frankly I wasn't a big fan of any of them at first, but Sinvy and Oshowatt grew on me a little bit. So, on my first venture through route 1, I encountered the 3 Pokes you could obtain up to that point.
Lillipup, Purrloin, and Patrat.
I didn't bother to pick up Patrat, knowing it was some Rattata clone that would be equally as sucky. I caught Lillipup, as my instincts told me it would be somewhat decent. Then I caught...PURRRLOIN....

It was almost impossible to train. I DID actually manage to get it to level 7. But I got FED UP, because AT LEVEL 7, it was getting killed by level 2's!

After a little searching, I saw its evolutions base stats and puked. Horrible attack, its frail, and only good thing about it is speed. And yet again, it gets OUTSPED BY EVERYTHING.

darkrai1018

Team Shiny Leader John
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2012
I caught lilipup and i have never used him again so probly between him and scraggy.

Back