• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The fun part about mobile market share is that it's not that clear cut. Sometimes, the second place holder isn't iOS, but... Windows.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
The fun part about mobile market share is that it's not that clear cut. Sometimes, the second place holder isn't iOS, but... Windows.

Please explain to me how that's not completely wrong.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Please explain to me how that's not completely wrong.

I'll just go ahead and second this notion.
I believe I never mentioned that I think this is wrong ;)

Either way, what I'm saying is that when it comes to market share, one should take into account other regions.

Well that is rather ironic, and actually kind of weird...

Well you never know, sometimes Windows just kinda gets through, not sure how, but it just does.

I do also know some countries where BlackBerry still has a strong hold ;)

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
So basically, you're saying there are some smaller countries where they have a stronger footing... yes. But overall marketshare is what we're discussing. XD

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I believe I never mentioned that I think this is wrong ;)

Either way, what I'm saying is that when it comes to market share, one should take into account other regions.

I live in one of these countries. Can confirm that everyone in Canada still uses BlackBerries :(

Years
I remember when my parents walked into a Verizon Wireless store back in either 2005 or 2006 and I saw a Blackberry phone, and I was intrigued by it. Of course though I was out of my mind at the time (being 10 or 11 years old) thinking I could have one xD but it was definitely in the time before smartphones became the thing to own..

Years
I remember when my dad had one. One of the first in his company to get one since receiving emails if something went down relating to the servers was something deemed vital enough to the company that it needed to be responded to ASAP.

From a sysadmin standpoint, Blackberry is far and away the worst of the major platforms. It requires a dedicated server running its Blackberry management software in order for Blackberry users to receive emails on their Blackberries. Those resources could be better used for something else since most enterprise grade mail servers can handle pushing to smartphones on their own without straining much at all.

Years
Wow, that's kinda...old and behind, isn't it? :p

At least with Android, iOS and probably Windows Phone OS as well, receiving emails doesn't require a dedicated server.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Most modern smartphone, as well as many older smartphone platforms should be able to handle POP, IMAP, and Exchange ActiveSync well. That'd include most Android versions in widespread use, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile, Symbian OS, and BlackBerry OS 10.

BB7... ugh.

(I really like Exchange ActiveSync. You probably haven't realized it yet, but if you're using a corporate, educational (backend by Microsoft or set up in-premises), or a Windows Live/Hotmail/Outlook.com account, you're likely to be using it. Efficient push email and contacts/calendar sync is a very nice thing to have!)

(And speaking of Exchange and emails, I wonder how many people realize that Exchange Server had a very bad case of an accidental stress test a long time ago?)

Years
I used to use my hotmail.com email address a lot 2-3 years ago, but I don't use it so much anymore, except to log into Skype with so that my MSN contacts stay in sync. And yep, my school's email system uses Outlook 365.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I used to use my hotmail.com email address a lot 2-3 years ago, but I don't use it so much anymore, except to log into Skype with so that my MSN contacts stay in sync. And yep, my school's email system uses Outlook 365.

...Mine, too. (It's everywhere!)

It felt weird to see "*.outlook.com" before Outlook.com came out :3

What account do you use more often on your phone, anyway? Sometimes it's more convenient to keep everything in one place.

Years
What account do you use more often on your phone, anyway? Sometimes it's more convenient to keep everything in one place.
I'm signed into my hotmail.com account just because it's Microsoft, but I typically don't read emails when I'm not home, unless I'm reading my school email.

Years
Wow, that's kinda...old and behind, isn't it? :p

At least with Android, iOS and probably Windows Phone OS as well, receiving emails doesn't require a dedicated server.

They do, they just don't require their own separate server.

Most modern smartphone, as well as many older smartphone platforms should be able to handle POP, IMAP, and Exchange ActiveSync well. That'd include most Android versions in widespread use, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile, Symbian OS, and BlackBerry OS 10.

BB7... ugh.

(I really like Exchange ActiveSync. You probably haven't realized it yet, but if you're using a corporate, educational (backend by Microsoft or set up in-premises), or a Windows Live/Hotmail/Outlook.com account, you're likely to be using it. Efficient push email and contacts/calendar sync is a very nice thing to have!)

(And speaking of Exchange and emails, I wonder how many people realize that Exchange Server had a very bad case of an accidental stress test a long time ago?)

Exchange is still a huge PITA at times from an administrative standpoint (especially when trying to upgrade between versions), but it's great at handling high volumes of email and has oodles of useful features.

Also, BB 10 still had that stupid Blackberry Management software that it needed installed to be used to store files.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Something tells me wacky hijinks like me creating endless processes and making the entire PC unresponsive are not beyond me yet, as I did just that a few moments ago.

Ah, fork().

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
Android tablet-related.

I was curious - has anyone ever displayed their screen tablet to their desktop/laptop via sync cable? I'm trying to get it to function but I currently have no luck so far.

(running a Dell Venue 8 tablet)

Years
Android tablet-related.

I was curious - has anyone ever displayed their screen tablet to their desktop/laptop via sync cable? I'm trying to get it to function but I currently have no luck so far.

(running a Dell Venue 8 tablet)
I've never even heard of being able to mirror a tablet's screen to a PC and have it in a live window. But then again, I'm sure it's possible through the Android SDK in some way.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
I've never even heard of being able to mirror a tablet's screen to a PC and have it in a live window. But then again, I'm sure it's possible through the Android SDK in some way.

It's possible when you use a screen recorder such as Droid@Screen. I think my major issue is my laptop not recognizing the device when I use the "adb devices" command, and it displays this:

c5QR241.png

(this isn't my screenshot; just an example of exactly what I went through)

From that point on, I'm just simply clueless. I can sync files into the tablet; just...unable to display my device through this command.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
That's pretty interesting. If it still works, it must've been built pretty heavily. :P How do you know it was there for three and a half months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back