• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
Graphics have never been a selling point for Pokemon. They've never been up to what could be done on the system, idk why X&Y would be any different.

Besides just because they're both on the 3DS doesn't mean Ocarina of Time and X&Y are being made by the same people ;x

BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY ENTITLEDNESS FORCES YOU TO MAKE BETTER GRAPHICS ;;

Anyways, I honestly can't understand people who like better graphics. I mean, of course you want to be able to tell what's going on, but I don't consider AWESOME graphics to be important in a game.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Tbh I can't wait until we hit the graphics ceiling, where graphics cannot possibly be more realistic. Then I hope we'll have a push towards games that put emphasis on their story, their gameplay, their physics, and their ideas instead of "look at how many wrinkles we can put on this face".

droomph

weeb
Years
Tbh I can't wait until we hit the graphics ceiling, where graphics cannot possibly be more realistic. Then I hope we'll have a push towards games that put emphasis on their story, their gameplay, their physics, and their ideas instead of "look at how many wrinkles we can put on this face".

But then they'll start working on simulating the proteins that are in the character's body, because they can.

Never underestimate humans and their ingenuity to find new ways to waste resources.

Also about X&Y, they said that the footage wasn't final so I don't get what everyone's complaining about.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The problem I have with hyper-realistic graphics is because of Garry's Mod possibly having the incapabilities to download character models from HD games due to its PS2-like graphics, so only non-HD character models are acceptable, meaning there would have to be a new Gmod to be able to play with rag doll models of HD characters.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
To be fair, I'm a visuals snob when it comes to anime. It's incredibly difficult for me to get into an older anime that doesn't have a modern art style and isn't HD. :<

/hypocrite!

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Graphics have never been a selling point for Pokemon. They've never been up to what could be done on the system, idk why X&Y would be any different.

Besides just because they're both on the 3DS doesn't mean Ocarina of Time and X&Y are being made by the same people ;x

Specs have never been the main focus on video games; otherwise, we would've gotten games that look beautiful and better stroytelling but terrible gameplay. *points to Star Wars: the Force Unleashed*

BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY ENTITLEDNESS FORCES YOU TO MAKE BETTER GRAPHICS ;;

Anyways, I honestly can't understand people who like better graphics. I mean, of course you want to be able to tell what's going on, but I don't consider AWESOME graphics to be important in a game.

You all misunderstand me.
I'd rather the B/W style, that what I've seen of the X&Y graphics so far. Nothing to do with any delusions of being entitled to better graphics for every iteration, more to do with the fact that X&Y looks like garbage in comparison to B/W.
The comparison is the important part. I'm not saying this because I'm whining about 'waaah they screwed up my games' THAT would be acting entitled. The issue I have a problem with is that fact that the graphics look worse than the previous games, and the only argument for it is that 'Well we tried to make it more 3d, which takes more resources and so the graphical style is more limited' when my previous post shows exactly why that is untrue.

B/W was a 3d game in essence, the camera was fixed, but at times such as cut-scenes it would pan slightly to give more depth. If they simply made X/Y look exactly the same as B/W but maintained the camera locked at that lower angle, it would be an improvement.

But then they'll start working on simulating the proteins that are in the character's body, because they can.

Never underestimate humans and their ingenuity to find new ways to waste resources.

Also about X&Y, they said that the footage wasn't final so I don't get what everyone's complaining about.

The footage wasn't final, true but if at this stage they still have large changes to make to aspects such as the graphical engine, then I worry for the quality of the story/game-play in x/y.

Edit: I'd also like to say, generally I don't give a damn about graphics. satisfying storyline and entertaining game-play takes priority for me. The majority of my favorite games are all more than 15years old, and It's not just nostalgia speaking, I spent the last week replaying chrono trigger. If you put that game in front of an average 12 year old today, they would immediately tell you it looks like crap and ask to play call of duty instead. However if you convince them to actually play it, chances are they would still enjoy it for the astounding game it is.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I don't care much about graphics, so long as it isn't low enough quality that it's difficult to understand what you're looking at, or something along those lines.

The graphics on B/W were pretty cool, I must say. I just didn't like the gameplay much, despite trying again and again to give it a chance. Honestly, that probably was just because I'm not as familiar with Unova as some other regions.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wasn't trying to make you feel the need to defend yourself Somniac, sorry about that. XD I'm not sure why you were talking about the power of the 3DS though if your argument has nothing to do with the 3DS' power and everything to do with what they already did on the DS...?

Sir Codin

Weren't those graphics in the X & Y trailers just working design anyway?

I have to admit, when it comes to games that place emphasis on exploring the game world, I tend to be a bit of a graphics nut. I just can't explore Skyrim without HD.

Yet at the same time, other games graphics just don't matter.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Wasn't trying to make you feel the need to defend yourself Somniac, sorry about that. XD I'm not sure why you were talking about the power of the 3DS though if your argument has nothing to do with the 3DS' power and everything to do with what they already did on the DS...?

It was more to say that the 3ds is powerful enough to run much more advanced graphics without struggling, and they seem to be making a big deal out of the new art direction which isn't that spectacular.

And no worries, I didn't mean to be appear defensive :p

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think the graphics are pretty good and are a jump from the regular old sprites. I have to say I think this full 3D game was completely unexpected and something I didnt see happening especially because Junichi Masuda has said that he prefers sprites and sees them as an art form. I guess he changed his mind though. I hope to see the graphics improve further as more games are made.

Years
Bleh, yeah X&Y to me just seems like more of the same - just with more 3D. I miss the big heads and vibrant colours of Gen IV and HGSS.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
It's been an hour.

I'm over here almost laughing over Facebook. I was talking to some people I don't know this morning. One of them PM'd me to invite me to a group on Facebook...intended for mothers. Um. .___. I'm not quite sure how to explain to her that I'm a teenager and not a mother.

Edit:
Ninja'd.
Uh.
I honestly don't see the big deal with the 3D factor on X and Y. I've seen games played on a 3DS and it messed with my eyes more than anything else. I'm also a little annoyed that I have to buy a 3DS now.

As for general graphics, I guess it's cool for them to look more realistic. But I doubt it ever will seriously seem realistic.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Tch, she isn't the kind of person I want to pick an online fight with. ;D Incredibly snarky, but very funny, as well. I'll reply eventually and explain, so she doesn't think I'm just ignoring her.
I hadn't even realized that people who aren't on my friends list are able to PM me on facebook. x:

It's an understandable mistake, considering the group we met on just happens to be mostly parents. T: She has no idea that I'm a teenager, nor does anyone else on that group. I usually am just a lurker there, so the only people who really know me are people who I know offline.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Really?
I've never been spammed there, aside from my friends joking around. I did make a fake account to stalk someone once, just to mess with them. x;

I used to get friend requests from strangers, so now the option is blocked unless I have a mutual friend with them. I still don't add all of the people who send requests, though, including relatives.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I just get pictures of all my friends having babies. It's horrible, as they all think that their spawn is the bestest most awesomest thing in the entire world and WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT! It's seriously annoying.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
they all think that their spawn is the bestest most awesomest thing in the entire world and WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT!
Is it cool with you if I add this to my signature? X}

Most of the stuff in my news feed is from the mentioned group, tbh. They post interesting stuff, at least. My friends usually aren't annoying, but I get tired of them constantly posting photography. I:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back