• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Pokemon Questions for My Research

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
Hello everyone. I introduced myself earlier and gave a quick background of why I'm here in the welcome forum so I'll try not to repost too much.

I'm an MBA student at University of Hawaii and was given Pokemon as a topic for my research. I will be traveling to Japan within the next couple of weeks to visit their headquarters in Tokyo. I'm looking to use this forum to connect with Pokemon fans and help with my research. You guys/gals willing to assist? Here are some questions I have.

Your general demographics. Age, Location, years you've been a fan of Pokemon, types of pokemon media you're active in (video game, anime and manga, trading card or any others?)

If you're over 18 years of age, what initially attracted you to pokemon and how has it changed through the years?

Have you experienced the global pokemon phenomenon outside of your home country? I would like to know more about that experience.

If you were able to meet with Pokemon executives (which I will be in July), what questions would you like to ask them? Please don't ask about anything too specific about pokemon types or what their future plans are because most likely they will not share anything too sensitive with me.

So admittedly, I wasn't really into pokemon growing up. However, just looking at it with a business perspective it's really amazing how they have been able to capture a global market and remained profitable for over 18 years. If you can think back to how many fads have exploded and faded into obscurity the last 2 decades, pokemon clearly has something special going on.

Thank you in advance and I hope to have some good discussion with some of you soon!

Mahalo

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Hello everyone. I introduced myself earlier and gave a quick background of why I'm here in the welcome forum so I'll try not to repost too much.

I'm an MBA student at University of Hawaii and was given Pokemon as a topic for my research. I will be traveling to Japan within the next couple of weeks to visit their headquarters in Tokyo. I'm looking to use this forum to connect with Pokemon fans and help with my research. You guys/gals willing to assist? Here are some questions I have.

Your general demographics. Age, Location, years you've been a fan of Pokemon, types of pokemon media you're active in (video game, anime and manga, trading card or any others?)

If you're over 18 years of age, what initially attracted you to pokemon and how has it changed through the years?

Have you experienced the global pokemon phenomenon outside of your home country? I would like to know more about that experience.

If you were able to meet with Pokemon executives (which I will be in July), what questions would you like to ask them? Please don't ask about anything too specific about pokemon types or what their future plans are because most likely they will not share anything too sensitive with me.

So admittedly, I wasn't really into pokemon growing up. However, just looking at it with a business perspective it's really amazing how they have been able to capture a global market and remained profitable for over 18 years. If you can think back to how many fads have exploded and faded into obscurity the last 2 decades, pokemon clearly has something special going on.

Thank you in advance and I hope to have some good discussion with some of you soon!

Mahalo

I'm Stoney, 24, living in the central part of the United States (not sure if I should say what state I'm in...), I've been a fan for 12-14 years & I play the video
game & the trading card game.

What got me into Pokemon is that my older brother got the Blue version & let me try it. Later that year, I gotten Red for my birthday & I've been playing
ever since. I feel that the pokemon series has impired me to be the creative sort of person... I have all sorts of big ideas!

Unfortunaly, I've never been out of the country... I do hope to see Japan one day...
(Lucky you!)

I'd want to know why they made pokemon out of things like ice cream & key chains...
I'm not complaining about Vanilluxe or Klefki, I like them, I just wonder why.

I have theroies on why pokemon is so special & haven't faded in the least if you're interested....

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
Thanks for your response Stoney! No need to give out what state you live in if it's too much info. I'm just looking for a general response so I can get an idea thats all.

I've never heard of Vanilluxe or Klefki before but after googling them, does seem odd since the majority of the pokemon seem to be based on animals type creatures. Interesting.

I have been fortunate enough where I've been able to do some international traveling. Japan is pretty cool and would definitely recommend checking it out if you have the opportunity.

Question. Have you or would you consider traveling either nationally (LA, NY, or somewhere like that) or internationally for a Pokemon event? I assume they have some sort of conventions, event premiers, etc.

Would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts on how Pokemon has remained popular throughout the years.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
My name is Scott and I'm 20 years old. I live in Glasgow, Scotland and although taking a big hiatus from Pokemon I'll say I've been a fan intermittently for nearly 12 years. I play the Games but I'm mostly a fan of the anime. Barely a day goes by where I don't watch at least 1 episode and I guess that's thank to the DVD box sets and the very smartly and well run Pokemon TV app.

I guess its really the same story as most others my age. The original Red/Blue games are what got me into it. I also watched the anime at the same time. It really took off for me though when everyone at school was buying the trading cards. Me and my cousin collected between us and we had a considerable amount if "shinys" as we called them. One of my earliest memories of pokemon is being on holiday in Spain and they sold packs of reverse holos as they're called (don't know whether that's correct or they're just plain fakeys! lol) but every day on that holiday we'd go to the same store that sold them and me and my grandpa would buy 3 packs. I always remember my mum and Nana laughing because after every card he'd say "its all shinys I've got here". Its just one if those childhood memories that you don't know how you remember so vividly but you do.

I've never experienced Pokemon in another country unless you count that, I di remember watching it in Portugal a few years ago. Didn't understand the dialogue though, but it was raining so what else to do? Me and my pal always joke about how it'd be incredible to go to Japan one day (pokemon comes second to the food on that one though) but I'd love to see how big it is by visiting the shops and just trying to find out how a little show like pokemon evolved into such a big phenomenon worldwide and how the culture has embraced it.

I first got back into it a few years ago, bought the Black & White movie in my local Asda just as a nostalgia feel and I wanted to see what it was like and if it was the same as I remembered it. Well later that night I started ordering some more of the movies and having a scout about for the original seasons I watched as a kid. I didn't know anything about sinnoh or Unova but I was interested enough that I wanted to see the pokemon I hadn't heard off. Once I'd got the movies in and, i remember the feeling like it was yesterday, I'd watched the first movie I immediately went on Amazon and ordered my multi region DVD player to order the Seasons from Australia. I currently own all 16 seasons and all the movies. You'd think you'd get bored of the anime but I never have in those 2 years. I've spread it out enough that I've still not watched everything. Still lots to see and that is why I love and got back into Pokémon. You're always learning and there's always more to see.

I think the first question I'd ask would be something anime related. Of course the "how long is it going to go on for", but apart from that I'd have a question that actually nags at me. Why the GS ball storyline was scrapped from the Orange Islands series is one I'd ask first.

I'm extremely jealous that your getting the time and experience of travelling to Japan. I hope you enjoy it and enjoy getting to know Pokemon.

If you have any other questions or need help with anything please do not hesitate to ask.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Thanks for your response Stoney! No need to give out what state you live in if it's too much info. I'm just looking for a general response so I can get an idea thats all.

I've never heard of Vanilluxe or Klefki before but after googling them, does seem odd since the majority of the pokemon seem to be based on animals type creatures. Interesting.

I have been fortunate enough where I've been able to do some international traveling. Japan is pretty cool and would definitely recommend checking it out if you have the opportunity.

Question. Have you or would you consider traveling either nationally (LA, NY, or somewhere like that) or internationally for a Pokemon event? I assume they have some sort of conventions, event premiers, etc.

Would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts on how Pokemon has remained popular throughout the years.

It would be cool to go to a pokemon event, nationally or internationally...

As for how Pokemon has remained so popular:
Collecting things, such as stamps & baseball cards, has always been a popular hobby. In fact, collecting bugs is the hobby of the creator of Pokemon,
who wanted to reflect his hobby in a video game form.(this may very well be why they have the Bug-type.)
There all sorts of pokemon: Cute ones, tough ones, beautiful ones, strange ones & ones that makes you think "WTF!?!?" so these creatures
appeals to all sort of people.
But no matter how appealing they may be, they wouldn't be around today if the video games wasn't very good... but the games are.
They're simple enough that young kids could beat the game, yet have enough hidden complexity for those who dives deeply into
the game to enjoy fierce competitve battles that truly put their minds to the test.
& the Pokemon series is also popular for the same reason as other Nintendo fanchises, like Super Mario Bros. & Legend of Zelda,
because the games are not just something to pass your time, they are full-on adventures, where you travel far & wide, meeting people
& creatures, making friends with them, battling evil villans & saving the day.
While the story of the first few pokemon games were simple, they were still enjoyable &
in the later games, like Mystery Dungeon & X & Y, the story has a emotinal apect that gets to you.
(I STILL end up feeling like crying when I get to the end of the story of Explorers of Sky...)
& Pokemon are creature that easily lend themselves to things other than the standard RPG games:
Trading cards, all sorts of apparel & toys, school supplies, videos games of other genre (like puzzle, photography & even a racing game!)
Books, a tv series that's STILL going strong, Etc.
While there are other video games where you can collect & battle creatures, as far as I know, Pokemon was the first
& is so well made that it's still the standrad of which all the other creature-based video games are trying (& not having success)
to meet.
So this is why I think that Pokemon has managed to not just be a passing fad.

Shadow Man

Nerfed Metal Blade
Years

If you were able to meet with pokemon executives (which I will be in July), what questions would you like to ask them? Please don't ask about anything too specific about pokemon types or what their future plans are because most likely they will not share anything too sensitive with me.

I am 15 and I have been a fan of Pokemon for 12 years. I only first saw the show while skimming cartoon channels. I live in North-Eastern America. I used to like basically anything Pokemon, including the anime, cards, and toys, but now I have kind of narrowed the franchise down to the games and manga. I can't really say I have ever experienced the Pokemon phenomenon outside of the USA, since I have only ever left it to visit Canada, and I did not see anything Pokemon related there. If I could ask the Pokemon Executives, I would probably ask how the Pokemon creation process goes, like do you design them first and then give them types, or do you take other steps?

If something was not within 1 and a 1/2 hours from where I live, I would not try to go there. I just hate travelling that long for something that I can watch on YouTube. As for why Pokemon got so popular and has stuck around, I know I gravitated toward the franchise because I was fascinated with all of the characters. There were so many of them and they all had connections in some way.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2018
I'm from Russia. I was a fan of Pokemon since begining of 2001 when it aired on TV where I live. I mostly interested in anime (watched almost evereting, and keep on watching new), video games (played in many), manga (since it's hard to get, mostly Pokemon Special, but I also interested in other), and music. Not so much for TCG, since I can't play in real game (it's not even sold here), and there is only a little TCG video games... I also heppend to be creator of one of the oldest and biggest Pokemon related site on Russian.

Well... indeed my interest was a lot bigger back then, but I still is interested and do plan on keep on watching\playing even in distant future.

A little, when I was in Germany for 1 month.

One thing I was always wanted to ask is about original ideas for the first Pokemon movie. I refering to that old Japanese trailer, which was so diffrent from the actual movie ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70GRNYnacI ). I was always wondered what was a real story planned for it.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Name's Joseph, from the Philippines. I'm 23 at the moment and I've been a fan of the PKMN franchise ever since I was ten (LOL xD), so that makes me a fan for 13 years now. :P
I'm recently more active on the video games now, since I now find the animé rather childish.

Before, it was one of the cartoons available for kids like me to watch. So that attracted me to the franchise. And since I was a kid back then, I'm obviously into games as well. When I heard from a classmate that he has a game, I quickly borrowed it from him. xD
Over the years, people grow, yet the animé didn't, so I guess I grew out of it. Yet I still love the games. ^^

Nope.

If there's going to be a new Nintendo haldheld console that will be more advance than the 3DS, will the main Pokémon game titles be only playable on that console, or will they be moving to smartphones?

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016

I am 20 years old, I live in Texas, and I have been a Pokemon fan since 1997 when the anime first came out.

I was initially attracted to Pokemon through a commercial for Dairy Queen that I saw on TV. It was advertising little Pokemon plushies that they were giving with their kid's meals I think. I remember being really enticed by the Dratini plushie that I saw. Sometime later my best friend and I were playing with the TV and caught an episode of Pokemon that was airing. After that, I was completely hooked. Haven't stopped enjoying Pokemon since.

I've never left my home country, so I'm gonna say no for this.

Honestly the only Pokemon executive I really want to meet with is Satoshi. Because I want to ask him about his initial inspiration for Pokemon, what made him decide to make it a thing, and how he went about getting his project idea out there as well as how that all went. I'm thoroughly curious about Pokemon's origins and I'd love to ask him that myself.

Years
I'm 21, from Northern Ireland and I can't remember exactly what year I started to get into Pokémon but I'd say it's been a good 15 years at least :) I'm currently active in the video game scene and I try and keep up with the anime as best as I can as well :)

I initially got into Pokémon watching the anime before (and sometimes after haha depending on when it was on) school :) That peaked my interest and made me look beyond the anime towards the TCG which was becoming very popular at school, as well as early Pokémon games such as Pokémon Stadium for the N64 :)

It's changed over the years in that I've departed from the TCG due to a lack of people I know who would share that interest and instead of the anime being my number one focus, it's now secondary to the video games for me :) This is due actually to my brother letting me play his copy of Pokémon Silver, which led me to play every main series game afterwards and I haven't looked back since :)

I haven't experienced Pokéfever outside my home country aside from seeing pictures of fans online dressed up as certain characters lol but I think Japan would be an interesting place to experience it and compare to my own experiences as it's Pokémon's country of origin :)

If I could ask anything I'd probably ask how long in advance they plan out each generation of Pokémon designs, like do they know what Pokémon they're going to create for Generation 4 when they're working on Generation 3, that kind of thing :)

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years

Mahalo

I'm Megan. I'm a girl, I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm 20 years old. I actually can't remember how I got into Pokemon. I got into the games through my cousin when I was 7 and begged him to play his Sapphire game. Then after, DYING for my own copy.
But I remember earning Pokemon coins whenever I used the bathroom correctly (potty training) so I definitely got into it early on in my life. It's sad I don't remember how exactly. ;_____;

Growing up, everyone I knew liked Pokemon. Everyone in my class had merchandise (backpacks, plushies and pencil cases), VHS of episodes and movies, and Pokemon cards. They actually had to ban Pokemon cards at my school because kids wouldn't focus in class. xD

My friend had Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 and I'd play it at her house. That was in grade 1.

I've traveled outside my country but not for long and I didn't see any Pokemon outside. But then again, I wasn't gone for long.

If I were to ask Pokemon executives, I would ask them if they ever had long term plans for the Pokemon series (in general) or if they just made up stuff as they went along.

Since I'm currently 20 and I still like Pokemon, the reason being would be the creatures themselves. I love catching them and seeing them on screen. Most I just want to own in real life ^^ I'm not into competitive battling as much as just travelling with my Pokemon and exploring the regions and finding new Pokemon. I like that most about the Pokemon games and the anime! I also love contests too, even though they seem to have faded out with the last few games. :c

Years

I'm a 20-year-old living in North Carolina. I first got into Pokemon in 1999, and am mostly into the games and manga. I also like collecting the trading cards, though I don't play the game that often.

As a kid, I loved cartoons. Pokemon was yet another "cartoon" I fell in love with. However, the real catalyst was Pokemon Yellow, which my parents gave me for Christmas. Anyway, I still love Pokemon a lot; I always enjoy seeing what features Game Freak can come up with in the games and will play most the games that come out.

Never left the US, so N/A.

I'd ask them why XY didn't have Challenge Mode. I'd be curious to know their thought processes regarding Pokemon designs and origins. I'd also like to hear their explanations for certain type advantages/disadvantages--for example, why Fairy is weak to Poison or why Flying resists Fighting. There have been fan explanations, but I'd like to know their actual reasoning.

Back