• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2014
Hey there.
Noob Alert.

I have just found this thread - after less than a week of entering the world of Hacking, so I am feeling a little overwhelmed.

I don't want to break my game - so I don't particularly want to try this out yet, unless there is a clear, comprehensive tutorial on it.
Sorry to be the annoying noob.

Is there a Tutorial for applying this yet (That assumes the person has 0 knowledge of Hacking)?
:D
Hoping that this will jump start my hacking carreer. :D

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Very good, but some good soul could do a huge favor to create an IPS with these following items?

Physical/Special Split Of DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Physical/Special Split Icons Of Darthatron And Suggested fix by Jambo51

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2q5vmmm564iu6k

A couple things to note:
-The inserts started at 800000
-I was watching tv while doing the manuak editing of the moves, so some might be wrong
-No need to credit me, I didn't do much besides apply the DoesntKnowHowToPlay patch and assemble Darthatron's routine with the Jambo fix. But if you want to credit me anyways, I wouldn't mind. :3

Years
Can I patch the Physical/Special Split into other Hacked Rom without it like Light Platinum or just clean ROM?

unIQuE-_-SK

Rocket Grunt
Years
Ask and you shall receive.

A couple things to note:
-The inserts started at 800000
-I was watching tv while doing the manuak editing of the moves, so some might be wrong
-No need to credit me, I didn't do much besides apply the DoesntKnowHowToPlay patch and assemble Darthatron's routine with the Jambo fix. But if you want to credit me anyways, I wouldn't mind. :3
One small stupid question, Is this for Emerald or FireRed? :)
Haven't found the mentioning of it anywhere. :(

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
One small stupid question, Is this for Emerald or FireRed? :)
Haven't found the mentioning of it anywhere. :(

It is for FireRed, there is currently no patch that adds icons for Emerald.

Speaking of which, has there been any progress on that?

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
Years
I have a couple of questions:
I have applied Doesn'tKnowHowtoPlay's patch of this, and I can't seem to open up PGE's Attack Editor for FireRed (BPRE). However, I am experienced in editing hex.
1) Do I just need to edit the 11th byte to make sure the game can distinguish between Physical/Special?
2) What do I need to change to determine whether or not the move actually makes contact?

I'm sort of in a time crunch, as I'm in many activities outside of school, so an immediate response or a response within the next two days would be great!

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I feel very out of place posting here, but I do want this working, I can see great progress has been made, but that's all I can tell. I'm no good with Hex or ASM so my question is: Is there a patch of this for Ruby in existance? DragonRush's was deleted and I see that Darthatron posted some for Ruby but I have no clue what to do with it.

That's all, I thank anyone who answers this in advance and I'm sorry if this is out of place.

RemixinROMulus

Crit happens...
Years
I don't see anything wrong with how the icons look in those screenshots.
I'm still a beginner hacker, but as I recall, each sprite has a pointer to a specific palette. Hmmm... Maybe try searching for that pointer with your hex editor and try changing it? I know that Nameless Sprite Editor allows you to swap palettes, but IDK if it will find your icon.

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
I would recommend you to study the OAM structure and use sprite objects to draw those Icons, anyways in tile-based modes the palette is determined by the tilemap, otherwise it can be set in one of the OAM attributes, you can get detailled information on the GBAs tech data on gbatek (http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm)

~SBird

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
when i patched it, it looked like it didn't work, but the reason why i say that is because when i look at other people's rom hacks they have on the side of the moves the have the sign of physical and special. Can somebody help me!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Seeing as no one has uploaded an accurate patch for updating the now-used move type bytes yet (the one on the first page has reported errors), here's an updated one that should be 100% accurate for all moves in the standard game:

Download

For use with FireRed (BPRE). That should save some time from having to edit all the moves with PGE or a Hex editor.

when i patched it, it looked like it didn't work, but the reason why i say that is because when i look at other people's rom hacks they have on the side of the moves the have the sign of physical and special. Can somebody help me!
That's because Darthatron's move type icon implementation is separate from DoesntKnowHowToPlay's patch. You'll have to apply that yourself to get that change. Alternatively, you could use the combined patch Teh Blazer uploaded on the previous page.

Last edited:

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
6cOQHmz.png
zxfsbAH.png
Z9tY84F.png

A long-awaited treat for my fellow Emerald modders, I'm back with a much better version of my Emerald Phys/Spec icons. Credit where it's due, the original idea came from Darthatron as did the source image, and thanks also to Deokishisu for the shortening and placement ideas. Here goes:

First, you'll need to insert this ASM somewhere
Spoiler:

At the bottom, you'll need to change .SplitImages to the address where you insert the icons attached below (as an uncompresed image). Don't worry about the coloring, they'll use the palette already located at 0xDC4338.

SplitImages:
TuTazY7.png

And make the following hex edits:
Spoiler:

It can also support extended movesets just fine (see screenshot above), all you need to do is change .MoveBase to the start of your repointed move table.

And that should be all you need. I've tested it and it should work properly on the Battle Moves page, while re-ordering moves, and when teaching new moves. If there are any issues, let me know. Permission to use it in a hack isn't needed, though credit is appreciated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
6cOQHmz.png
zxfsbAH.png
Z9tY84F.png

A long-awaited treat for my fellow Emerald modders, I'm back with a much better version of my Emerald Phys/Spec icons. Credit where it's due, the original idea came from Darthatron as did the source image, and thanks also to Deokishisu for the shortening and placement ideas. Here goes:

When I move the .asm file into HackMew's Thumb, it does not create any .bin output. It works when I use other ASM routines though. Do you know what the issue could be?

I did the following:
1. Cope/Pasted your routine into Notepad.
2. Changed movebase to 0x08E66000 (where my table is located)
3. Changed .Splitimage to 0x081600000 (where I placed the image. It's a 32 MB ROM).
4. Clicked Save As, changed txt to all files and named it test.asm. Put it in the same folder as Thumb.
5. Moved it to Thumb, which just quickly opens up and closes down the command window without creating the .bin output.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
6cOQHmz.png
zxfsbAH.png
Z9tY84F.png

Spoiler:

At the bottom, you'll need to change .SplitImages to the address where you insert the icons attached below (as an uncompresed image). Don't worry about the coloring, they'll use the palette already located at 0xDC4338.

SplitImages:
TuTazY7.png

Spoiler:

It can also support extended movesets just fine (see screenshot above), all you need to do is change .MoveBase to the start of your repointed move table.

And that should be all you need. I've tested it and it should work properly on the Battle Moves page, while re-ordering moves, and when teaching new moves. If there are any issues, let me know. Permission to use it in a hack isn't needed, though credit is appreciated.
I'm having an issue with inserting as well. I'm getting this error message when I try to assemble my asm file:
icons.asm: Assembler messages:
icons.asm:0: Warning: end of file not at end of line; new line inserted
icons.asm:69: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is '<'

I've successfully inserted asm routines before, so I doubt I did something wrong.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out what went wrong. The first one was because I didn't put a blank line at the end, no harm there.
The second one was because of an error made in the asm routine: Tlachtli at line 69, you forgot to put /* in front of your comment. Fixing that made everything work out.

Last edited:

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
I'm having an issue with inserting as well. I'm getting this error message when I try to assemble my asm file:
icons.asm: Assembler messages:
icons.asm:0: Warning: end of file not at end of line; new line inserted
icons.asm:69: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is '<'

I've successfully inserted asm routines before, so I doubt I did something wrong.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out what went wrong. The first one was because I didn't put a blank line at the end, no harm there.
The second one was because of an error made in the asm routine: Tlachtli at line 69, you forgot to put /* in front of your comment. Fixing that made everything work out.

I thought I had removed all of my comments, but I guess I must have only deleted part of that one. I've fixed the routine in the earlier post now too, so it ought to compile properly now.

Edit: LCCoolJ95 has pointed out a bug where the Stat icon is showing up yellow instead of grey. I'm working on that one, should have it fixed soon.

Edit 2: Found the issue, and it's fixed now. I updated the ASM on my earlier post, so the Status icon should look normal now.

Last edited:

BXL

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).

What Hex editor would you recommend? I have tried it on Nightmare but that's too difficult for me, and I have googled for like straight two hours and I couldn't find on. Please help me.

Could someone give me an already Splitted version of pokemon emerald with the Icons and all? I can't hex edit whatsoever even if my life depended on it. I seriously need help for this. Please Help Me i would really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
*images snipped for brevity*

Spoiler:

SplitImages:
TuTazY7.png

Spoiler:

I'm having some trouble getting this to work properly in my ROM. I followed the instructions as best I could, and here are some details:

* I used NSE 2.1 to insert the image at xF58BB4
* I inserted the routine at xF58D34 after setting the last line to ".SplitImages: .word 0xF58BB4" (I also tried 0x08F58BB4)
* I changed the bytes at x1C0F88, x1C1328, and x1C17A0 to 08F58D35

When I load up the game and select a move on the Summary screen, it freezes like this: [IMAGE]http://i.cubeupload.com/RWXy5e.png[/IMAGE]

Any help figuring out what I'm doing wrong would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back