• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Hello Jambo.

Great job on doing that patch. I'd like to use it for the base as my hack, since it has access to all the strategy potential 5th gen has. Do you allow me to use it? Or rather, would you suggest it to a beginner in Rom Hacking?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hello Jambo.

Great job on doing that patch. I'd like to use it for the base as my hack, since it has access to all the strategy potential 5th gen has. Do you allow me to use it? Or rather, would you suggest it to a beginner in Rom Hacking?

No. The patch is far from finished. I won't allow anyone to base a hack on it until it's finished.

seems legit....it is in beta 1 ...i think i'll try it after THIS :D

I think (based on what Gamer2020 said to me) that the hack is no longer being developed or supported.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
I see. Well, I still tried to see how it would work on programs supported by PGE, and I just kept getting errors all over the place. So I guess I'll have to stick with Gen 3 moves and abilities.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
I think (based on what Gamer2020 said to me) that the hack is no longer being developed or supported.

so this means that the only running genIII 649 patch project is yours :D I hope it reaches 100% completion as it is going to be a great breakthrough in ROM hacking ! And i will have a reason to replay FireRed for 146th time ;)

Years
I don't seem to see any 4th or 5th gen pokemon in the wild do i need to do some other things than just patching it?

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Hey i have a question....how many pokemon can be stored in the box system ?????? Is there enough space or you will hack it to add more space ?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I don't seem to see any 4th or 5th gen pokemon in the wild do i need to do some other things than just patching it?

They don't appear in the wild. This is a ROM base for people to make hacks with, as opposed to a hack in and of itself.

Hey i have a question....how many pokemon can be stored in the box system ?????? Is there enough space or you will hack it to add more space ?

Not even close to enough slots, and not even close to enough memory. There are 420 slots in the Box, which is obviously some way short of enough for one of every single species. However, taking out evolutions takes you closer to that 420 number, if not under it.

In theory, I'd love to add extra boxes, but in practice, there simply isn't any saved memory available for it, since each box takes 2400 bytes (80 per pokémon * 30 pokémon per box). To be able to store one of every species, we would need 22 boxes. There are currently 14. We'd need, therefore, at least 8 extra boxes.

8 * 2400 = 19200 bytes. In hex, that's 0x4B00 bytes. That, in saved memory terms, is 5 blocks worth of storage. We currently have less than 1 free block. Make sense? :(

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
i somewhat understand what you say...so even if in theory 649 pokemon are available in practice you will not be able to catch them due to lack of memory.... :(

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
"No Pokémon above Raichu have a moveset." What's the point of this 649 Pokémon patch if most of those Pokémon don't even have moves?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
i somewhat understand what you say...so even if in theory 649 pokemon are available in practice you will not be able to catch them due to lack of memory.... :(

Indeed. It's the one the very few things I can't overcome with a bit of ingenuity or work, because it's a hardware thing. I technically could extend the memory blocks enough for it to work, but it wouldn't be compatible with flashcarts or any such things.

"No Pokémon above Raichu have a moveset." What's the point of this 649 Pokémon patch if most of those Pokémon don't even have moves?

Ever heard the phrase Work in Progress...?

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Years
What's the point of his work if he wouldn't add it soon?

EDIT: lol you beat me :D, by the way is it impossible to expand rom size to get some free space?

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Indeed. It's the one the very few things I can't overcome with a bit of ingenuity or work, because it's a hardware thing. I technically could extend the memory blocks enough for it to work, but it wouldn't be compatible with flashcarts or any such things.

Ever heard the phrase Work in Progress...?
is there any possibility that you will release a version with extended memory or something ( i don't know about hacking ) that allows more space or it is really impossible ( though it would break the compatibility with flashcarts ) but its your choice.Also i think you had a poll for something like that in the thread.( the most users replied to release 2 patches )

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
What's the point of his work if he wouldn't add it soon?

EDIT: lol you beat me :D, by the way is it impossible to expand rom size to get some free space?
Assuming you're talking about the box storage issue,

free ROM space =/= free RAM space

Expanding the ROM will do absolutely nothing in terms of getting more save blocks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2023
About the box issue, at the top of this thread is a closed poll saying that there will be two patches (one to increase the save file capacity and one without it) and that this would break compatibility with flash carts. Basically my question is that if you're creating two patches anyway then wouldn't that work out regardless? I thought 90% of people ran emulators anyway.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
About the box issue, at the top of this thread is a closed poll saying that there will be two patches (one to increase the save file capacity and one without it) and that this would break compatibility with flash carts. Basically my question is that if you're creating two patches anyway then wouldn't that work out regardless? I thought 90% of people ran emulators anyway.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you . i don't actually believe that people use flashcarts because we have emulators for -nearly-every device like phones , psp's and so on

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
That poll is somewhat outdated, but I was planning at the time to make 2 patches. However, it is basically completely irrelevant as things have changed since then, with evidence becoming clearer that it's very difficult if not impossible.

As to the emulator/flashcart thing - I disagree. Everything I've done is with a view to it working on real hardware. It's my decision at the end of the day, though, and I feel it IS important enough.

Germaniac

Years
That poll is somewhat outdated, but I was planning at the time to make 2 patches. However, it is basically completely irrelevant as things have changed since then, with evidence becoming clearer that it's very difficult if not impossible.

As to the emulator/flashcart thing - I disagree. Everything I've done is with a view to it working on real hardware. It's my decision at the end of the day, though, and I feel it IS important enough.
You created the poll, so you must deal with it

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
You created the poll, so you must deal with it

Dont be rough with the creator of the hack ! This project needs more effort than a regular sideshow project would so please bear in mind that it is an 649 patch no one else had tried this in practice ( if we dont count gamer's 2020 hack which was abandoned)

Germaniac

Years
Dont be rough with the creator of the hack ! This project needs more effort than a regular sideshow project would so please bear in mind that it is an 649 patch no one else had tried this in practice ( if we dont count gamer's 2020 hack which was abandoned)
Sorry, don't meant to be rough, maybe because i choose "must" instead of "should" :), btw you don't know that jambo is working on another hack that will also include 649 pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back