• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Is RPG Maker XP worth buying?

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
I'm completely new to using this program, but from what I've seen in the Pokemon Essentials kit, it has some a lot of power. I'd rather use this over rom hacking just because I want to build something from the ground up. So my questions are these:

1) Is RPG Maker XP the version people use? I saw some other versions available.
2) Is it worth the $21 price tag (they sent me an email saying I could get it at this price)?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I bought it ant it was $30 for me. Yes, I think it's worth the purchase. If you're decent at scripting, it's well worth $50, let alone $30.

BUT if you don't have any scripting experience, I would really reccomend trailing it and seeing what you can learn, as RMXP without scripting is.. Rather weak.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
If you want to give game dev a shot, then yeah I'd say it's worth the money, and there's a quite of documentation and the like to be found for it online, which the later versions have less of.

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
I took a c++ course in college a couple years ago, so I'm not entirely new to programming. I just think it's more robust than rom hacking from what I saw in the Pokemon Essentials kit. For some reason RPG maker Pokemon games lag when the character is walking, not sure what's up with that....

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
I took a c++ course in college a couple years ago, so I'm not entirely new to programming. I just think it's more robust than rom hacking from what I saw in the Pokemon Essentials kit. For some reason RPG maker Pokemon games lag when the character is walking, not sure what's up with that....
The lag with walking is something the original essentials have.
You can get rid of it, but I don't know how... You can get later versions of Essentials.

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
The lag with walking is something the original essentials have.
You can get rid of it, but I don't know how... You can get later versions of Essentials.

I'm using the newest version of it, and there's plenty of lag when I'm walking.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
I think that Essentials runs slower than RPG Maker VX/VX Ace, I don't know if this is something with XP or the Essentials engine.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
Years
The reason why Pokemon Essentials lags is because maps are seamed together into one big map, and because of all the scripts going on in the background. Also one area has a tonne of particle effects, which makes your computer go mad. If you start a new project and new map, you'll realise that the engine runs seamlessly.

As for the price, I think it's a reasonable price, however I'd trial it first before getting it to see what you can do with it, and whether you like it or not.

Back