• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you believe in the Bible?

Years
Okay, I'm a Christian, no doubt denying that. But I'm not here to change your faiths. I would like to see what you believe.

Do you believe in the Bible? Sometimes called "The Gospel" or "The Word of God," "The Word of the Most High God" etc.

Of course the Bible consists of verses. Do you believe in them? Mostly when I was an unsaved sinner, I feared the verse, Revelation 21:8 and Romans 6:23. But there's a remedy for it. Go look at Romans 6:23. Go look at the verses in a KJV Bible if you want.

I, as a Christian, of course believed it. The Bible is like the diary of the world. It contains on how are we created. It said that the unbelievers that believed not the Son of God will taste the wrath of God in the "Great Tribulation" and many more. But that's just me.

Okay, discuss!!

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I personally think it's a collection of legendary tales which served as moral lessons and answers about life questions men had no answer to back then, similar to the Greek and Roman stories about their own gods. It's all a group of legends from different sources passed down by centuries and a bunch of stories about Jesus, all packaged and repurposed some years later into acting as a sacred book for the Christian religion as it was being developed.

Years
I believe in a higher power (God), I do not believe the bible.

Any higher power is going to be well beyond the comprehension of mere mortals such as ourselves and would probably not be that interested in us - although there's always the possibility I'm wrong.

God didn't write the bible, a bunch of old monks who want to impose their values upon us by incorporating the fear of God did. Whether they actually believe what they wrote or not I don't know, but I don't think a deity would be interested enough in us to leave us an instruction manual.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
The bible is a very nice fairy tale. :)

I don't take it seriously as historical text. It does make for some great inspiration when writing a fictional story for a comic book or novel.

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
Years
I believe in the Bible, because I know it exists - I've seen the Bible (book :P)

About me believing in what is written there, well, I don't.

In my opinion, God cannot be the entity described on the Bible. He can't be both Omnipotent and Good. Why? If he doesn't stop evil, that means he is not omnipotent, or that he isn't good.

Also, omnipotence is impossible, and can be defeated by logic. Can god create a rock he himself could not lift?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I don't believe in the Bible literally, but like any form of literature, I think that the truth that it holds is not intended to be a literal one.

People focus so hard on what the literal interpretation of a religious text is supposed to be, the Bible being the typical choice. Atheists claim that those who believe in it are blinding themselves to faith, while the religious claim that the only true word is the literal interpretation of the word. But don't you think it's silly to just view things in such a black and white way?

Every story has an inch of truth to it, even if it's not literal. The reason why people enjoy literature in the first place is because of the nonliteral truths that exist within it. So perhaps belief in the Bible isn't just "reading it literally", but rather finding a truth in its stories. Humiliating the Bible just because it's not as literally as true as, say, Quantum Chromodynamics, is to miss the entire point of the Bible.

Years
I believe in the Bible, because I know it exists - I've seen the Bible (book :P)

About me believing in what is written there, well, I don't.

In my opinion, God cannot be the entity described on the Bible. He can't be both Omnipotent and Good. Why? If he doesn't stop evil, that means he is not omnipotent, or that he isn't good.

Also, omnipotence is impossible, and can be defeated by logic. Can god create a rock he himself could not lift?

You have demonstrated one of the reasons I don't believe in the contents of the bible. I don't think we should really use human ideals of "good" and "bad" to describe a being that is so far above ourselves. Any being that far above us is probably going to have an entirely different set of morals to any human being - and we have huge differences just between us.

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
Years
Also, IMO, if anything exists and is aware of us, or if anyone created us, then it might just be an experiment, so they try to find out how their world started. Imagine it - What if we're just an experiment?

Years
I think gimmepie, went, and daigonite hit on some of my own thoughts.

Fundamentalist christians, that read the text literally are actually missing the point. Those who mock the literal meaning, also are missing the point. Further, one must take into consideration the historical context of these narratives, and it's evident morality had changed in historical contexts in comparing the old and new testaments.

Though I wouldn't say Christianity is the only "legitimate" faith, the story of Christ is a compelling one, I think secular and non-christian people of different faiths can respect the moral narrative being taught in his crucifixion, which of course was an actual historical event.

I don't limit my scope of morality to the Bible. It's much easier to conceive the idea of God as a man visually, "made in his image" but that seems more like a metaphorical image, rather than this man with a white beard in the clouds, or even a single corporeal entity per se, I would assume the concept is beyond human comprehension. Many religions, non-religious philosophers, ect try to explain the "why" and "how" we should live as intelligent beings, unique in our ability of advanced linguistics and political nature.

Churches have a history of both corruption and generosity. In modern society, I have seen more generosity and much less corruption if I were to provide a ratio. The church is one of the first forms of a welfare institution, and may in fact have been a stepping stone to modern-day hospitals (especially in the US), food pantries, ect. They should not be demonized, nor should we allow them to dictate secular governance.

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
some passages in the Bible are undoubtedly beautiful and poignant, but as others before me have stated (and as has been stated in many a debate of this nature prior I would imagine), I don't think it should be taken at face value and I think it's all full of symbolism and parables that didn't actually happen exactly as they're written. (also I felt like mentioning this because I watched it last night -- Magnolia is a really really good movie if you're looking for something with a ton of Biblical allusions that work really perfectly and connect everything together. it's good.)

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
A very controversial topic indeed guys... But, I myself as an atheistic person, I don't believe in the bible no matter how religious my family can be. Religion never made sense, and thanks to that, things like Isis came to be.

But hitting on the Christians/Catholics, they are messed up these days. You want to get a blessing from the church, but after paying $500! That is so messed up. Plus, why do some churches claim that money is for god? What's he going to do with the money, if he even exists. I frankly think religion was invented to manipulate people; I'm not surprised to that though. If people like Hitler could manipulate his people to go against Jews, then why not use religion to do the same? You do realize countries like Spain wanted to spread religion, which I'm pretty sure it involves having power. And now they are going against each other.

One of the main religion wars going on is for the LGTB. Like why now? If they believe in something, they should be allowed to do so, even if it is false. Some support them, others object their existence. Can you really blame them? Religion isn't even real, but if someone has any objections, please explain religion to me. Right now, religion is crap, a manipulation of power, and a false sense of hope.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
But hitting on the Christians/Catholics, they are messed up these days. You want to get a blessing from the church, but after paying $500! That is so messed up. Plus, why do some churches claim that money is for god? What's he going to do with the money, if he even exists.
My two cents on this idea - I don't really agree with it but let them be. The money goes towards supporting their own establishment, so to them, they think it's a good investment. In that sense you can interpret that as "money going towards God".

I frankly think religion was invented to manipulate people; I'm not surprised to that though. If people like Hitler could manipulate his people to go against Jews, then why not use religion to do the same? You do realize countries like Spain wanted to spread religion, which I'm pretty sure it involves having power. And now they are going against each other.

Religion isn't even real, but if someone has any objections, please explain religion to me. Right now, religion is crap, a manipulation of power, and a false sense of hope.
Jews are also followers of a different religion you know >.>

Anyways, I get where you're hitting at and when I was younger I would agree with you, but religion is not a "manipulation of power" or a "false sense of hope". I used to think this was true, but I attended a Synagogue as a bystander and I learned a lot of things about how religion really works.

Religion is not a "manipulation of power", even though it can be used to excuse manipulation of power (this seems to be what you're confusing it with). Religion is a series of beliefs and practices that have some sort of supernatural tying in with it, a set of rituals that help explain the questions that we're all looking answers for (even science, really). Science is different from religion in that it is purely natural while religion usually delves into the supernatural, but many times they're trying to answer the same questions and come from our desire of closure to understanding. Religion did not develop to manipulate the masses, it evolved to explain things. It can be used for such a thing, sometimes to lethal effect, but religion in of itself is not a bad thing. One could almost argue that science comes from this human urge of asking questions that spawned religion in the first place - it's just that religion was often easier and answered the more tantalizing questions.

Today, religion does not need to be taken literally, and rarely is. The "false sense of hope" may be true in those who believe the Bible literally, but to many, the Bible (or any other religious text) is not intended to be a literal scripture. The Bible's "truth" comes from its meaning.

Back at the Synagogue, I noticed one day they were doing studies of the Torah. Specifically, they were studying Noah's Ark. Instead of trying to "prove" that Noah's Ark actually happened, they were trying to dissect the story and understand its deeper meaning. To many people, religion is not an endeavour in understanding the future but rather a philosophical study.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Worst fiction book ever. I can't even give it any stars. It contradicts itself numerous times. Not to mention a lot of it doesn't really work with the modern age. It just did NOT age well. And then there's the whole fandom around it, blah.

Nope.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Worst fiction book ever. I can't even give it any stars. It contradicts itself numerous times. Not to mention a lot of it doesn't really work with the modern age. It just did NOT age well. And then there's the whole fandom around it, blah.

Nope.

the bible also has some translation errors which lead to it having contradictory sentences. And some parts weren't even in the original Bible, they were added later.
This is important to note.

However, even without literary consistency, it's not that which matters in the end anyways. Finnegans Wake is a "story" that pretty much throws literal consistency out the window, but many people find deeper truths within it. I think something like the Bible or pretty much any literary work is less to do with its literal storytelling and consistency (with something of that volume, especially something that was not written down immediately after it was conceived, it's to be expected that it is confusing to understand literally) and more to do with the deeper meaning of the work. The Bible, instead of being taken as a literal historic truth, should be viewed as a piece that begs to be opened deeper. And in that sense, it DOES have historic value - it reflects the type of people, showing their values, ideals and outlook on life, and even their very way of life. This can be said about any religious text though.

One thing that Judeo-monotheistic religions do which was pretty monumental for the time is give power into the hands of the people instead of just a higher power. This may seem contradictory but think about it - a major tenant in the big three of monotheistic religions is that YOU have a choice with your life. That you aren't just a mere pawn of the gods, a pawn that when assisted gets you punished (like in many other mythologies), but rather that YOU are important. Instead of being a side item or something created from dirt or other animals, humans are created by a benevolent God as a prized creation. Instead of just being little toys to entertain a higher being, humans are viewed as something special, something "good". And in that way, this sort of mentality could be the origins of new kinds of thought.

We are in an era in which these ideas have cycled once again. It is humbling that in our universe that we are not the center of attention in reality - we are simply a little speck on a tiny planet that is unfeasibly small in our massive universe. It may make us return to the idea that we are worthless and useless. But, upon observation, it is that we are a part of something so massive and yet are able to perceive our perspective of the universe, the fact that something as amazing as a human being can be part of such a much larger massive scale, something I like to call "the resolution of the universe" - the fact that even though we are small and overall meaningless that we still have something amazing to offer. That despite our minuscule footprint on the entire universe (or multiverse if it so is that way) that we are able to live in such a wide variety of experiences, such a unique level of perspectives that truly is unparalleled. The "resolution of the universe" may put things into perspective, but it also shows how wonderful everything really is.

And thus, we turn in a cycle from being meaningless to being meaningful. In that way. In a way, to many Christians and other religious people, this sort of perspective gives people not a false sense of hope, but a sense of belonging, and a sense of being. It's true that this word was changed and misused for evil and unscrupulous purposes, but that doesn't make the word itself evil. The only true evil would be to not allow others to interpret it.

In that sense, I do agree with that truth, even if I may squabble about the details. I may not be religious in the slightest but I can hold respect for such ideas. In reality though, that seems to be what a lot of people squabble over anyways. Ultimately Christianity is not just that "Jesus is the son of God", it's fundamentally rooted in the idea that people have power over their world and are important and special. And despite the perspective of how amazingly large the universe really is, and despite how small we truly are, we still are special. Despite our small size, we hold so much diversity. And that I think is what is really meant by "God's word". Perhaps I don't understand Jesus myself, and I may never understand Jesus, but I hold respect for those who do. Because perhaps simplifying what they represent is a disservice to their own philosophical understanding of the universe.

The trouble of reading into things literally, both as a support or as a rebuttal to the literature, shows a refusal to understand the deeper meaning of things. There's absolutely no reason why the nonliteral word of the Bible is incompatible with the literal understanding of nature, science and the world around us.

Anyways, just gotta say, for the most part, this is probably the most mature discussion of religion I've seen on PC in my 5 years of being on here. I really appreciate that neither side is trying to act like the other is wrong because "lol reasons".

Back