• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Tool: [Hex Editor] PokeHex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
[Hex Editor] PokeHex (Relaunched)

PokeHex
Topbar_zps4752193f.png
[Hex Editor] PokeHex
-A Pokemon Hexadecimal Editor-

Introduction

Everything has a humble beginning, doesn't it? This Hex Editor started off as a very humble release, and didn't receive any praise at all in the beginning. But a humble release doesn't warrant a humble future. This current build is the final Alpha version of PokeHex.

PokeHex is a Hex Editor dedicated to ROM Hacking on a whole new level. It has many functions that are purely for hacking Pokemon ROMs.

When you first started hex editing, you might have deleted an area of bytes, and noticed that the ROM did not function at all. Later, you might have realized that doing so shifted all of the bytes down. As a more seasoned hacker, you might still feel inconvenienced by this.

This program would be the diagnosis. I want to make ROM hacking as comfortable and convenient for you as possible. Maybe, just possibly, this will eventually become a household hacking tool.

(Think about a ROM hacking IDE. /nosebleed)

If you have knowledge of a particular tool, or would like to help, send me a VM or PM.

If there are questions that you have, bugs that you would like to report, or new features that you would like to suggest, you can comment on this thread, or VM or PM me as well.

And yay ^_^ I released this the day before I turn 14 :)

Note
All functions are programmed to support ROM hacking.
Cutting will fill the selection area with FF bytes.
Pasting will overwrite bytes instead of inserting them.
'Deleting' a selected area of bytes will only replace the selection area with FF bytes.
Pressing 'Delete' or 'Backspace' without a selection with delete an FF byte and move forwards or backwards one byte, respectively.

Current Features
Complimentaries (Opening, Saving, Editing Functions, Search Functions)
One-Click Run in VBA
One-Click Backup
Endian Hex Reversing Tool Window
Hex Calculator Tool Window
Base Converter Tool Window
ROM Extender
THUMB/ARM Assembler with Inline Output
Bit-Flicking Module (Byte Splicing, shifting, circling, notting)
Choice Between RSEFRLG and ANSI Text-Tables
Customization (Color Scheme, Font, and Others)
Hex Editing Information
Quite a few easter eggs, as well, if you can find them.

To-Do List
Patcher Compatible with IPS/UPS/APS-----20%
Script Editor-----70%
Free Space Finder-----60%
User-Defined Macros-----20%
Bookmarking-----60%
Native Tools Similar to YAPE, AdvanceMap-----40%

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Known Bugs
Program crashes when exploiting the file past the last byte.

Compatibility
All Win32 and Win64 computers. .NET Framework 2.0 and up.

Contributors
Programmer: [supporter]DeltaSalamence[/supporter]

I could only upload the application itself with the thread; the full repository is here, which contains a download with several hacking tools included that the program uses for quick access.

Last edited:

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
Years
While this might be a good learning experience for you, I don't see why anyone would use this over other well known hex editors. At this time at least.

Not only is this probably much less stable/memory efficient1 than other (free or paid) hex editors whom have been around for a while. Your editor also does not have a single unique feature.
I personally would've released this at a later stage. After I added the more unique features for example.

You surely seem to know what you are doing for the most part though, so keep it up! Even at this stage this is one of the more advanced programmed tools here at PC.
It's also nice to see new fellow programmers :)

1. Do not load the files into memory!

PS: Please don't center your post.

Akiba

Years
While this might be a good learning experience for you, I don't see why anyone would use this over other well known hex editors. At this time at least.

Not only is this probably much less stable/memory efficient1 than other (free or paid) hex editors whom have been around for a while. Your editor also does not have a single unique feature.
I personally would've released this at a later stage. After I added the more unique features for example.

You surely seem to know what you are doing for the most part though, so keep it up! Even at this stage this is one of the more advanced programmed tools here at PC.
It's also nice to see new fellow programmers :)

1. Do not load the files into memory!

PS: Please don't center your post.

Thanks for your constructive thoughts.

I was too used to the Team Discussions thread... Everything is centered there.

Akiba

Years
Similar to HW's data visualizer? Or maybe its byte info panel?

I could do things like that.

Or did you mean something like this?

Spoiler:

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Well this looks just Amazing ^_^

You have obviously been busy and it does show.

A Rom Modding IDE ^_^ is my ultimate goal, this is why I am grinding to learn how to program. So some day soon I can create my own tools and be an asset to the community.

Any way though this does look promising and I thank you as a fellow Modder for creating such an amazing tool.

PS If there is any way you can teach me how one makes such a tool I would be more than happy to be an apprentice.

Akiba

Years
Well this looks just Amazing ^_^

You have obviously been busy and it does show.

A Rom Modding IDE ^_^ is my ultimate goal, this is why I am grinding to learn how to program. So some day soon I can create my own tools and be an asset to the community.

Any way though this does look promising and I thank you as a fellow Modder for creating such an amazing tool.

PS If there is any way you can teach me how one makes such a tool I would be more than happy to be an apprentice.

Sure. I'm currently working on improving this, as well as a DLL that all programmers can use to develop their tools. It will include macro objects and such. You can expect to see this within the next month.

haven1433

Modder / Programmer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
I've been looking for a tool like this! As I'm looking through the GBA ROM, I find the two most important things are pointers and text. Maybe later scripts recognition will be important too, but as a fellow programmer I understand the difficulty of that.

You say you've already got translation to the PCS3-W for bytes, so I would definitely adopt this editor if it could follow pointers forward and back. That is, if it sees four aligned bytes that end with "08", it assumes it's a pointer and lets the user jump to there. Backwards would be more difficult: from a current location, searching the entire file for places that point to that location.

Keep up the good work! Great to see tools like this coming from young developers; I'm excited about what you'll accomplish!

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
Does this have a find/replace function? Because according to the tutorial made by destinedjagold about adding new types into Ruby/Sapphire, a find/replace function is needed to add new types in. I've looked everywhere in PokeHex (I even tried Ctrl + H) but haven't found a function like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back