• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever ditch your starters?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Except for my time on the Pokemon MMORPG, I've never ditched my starter in any time during the story, and it has always stayed on my party. Even if there are Pokemon that would be much better for my team, it's just that special connection you get to a starter from using it all the way through, though of course that wouldn't be there if it was boxed as soon as you could catch a new Pokemon. Either way, starters always have a reserved spot in my party, and I can't recall anytime except the one I already mentioned where I'd ditch my starter.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I usually do it for HG/SS. When I beat the league. I usually send in a nearly level 100 Pokemon to finish the game. The starter still remains in my party, but I don't use it as much until I beat Red.

White_Arcanine

Lonely and annoying.
Years
I never ditched my starters. My party is usually two Pokemon (Come at me bro) that I train throughout the game. Except for in White, where I couldn't find a second Pokemon to match my Snivy, so I wound up having a full team. XD

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It depends what I feel like at the time tbh. Usually I do end up using them the whole way through, but that's because they're generally pretty cool & useful Pokémon. But after having used them a few times I tend to start abandoning them and catch other things instead since it gets tedious constantly training the same things. :p

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Surprisingly, no, I haven't ever ditched my starter. I think that's because it's like a loyal companion to me; it's the first Pokemon I get, so naturally I'll have the closest bond with it. My starter and I are sort of like an unbeatable duo.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I never ditched my starter either. I'm one of those crazy people that will EV train the stats before I go on. I catch a couple Pokemon in the beginning but don't EV train them unless I want them.

Years
I almost always keep my starter pokémon. Maybe I'm just one of those players that gets sentimentally connected with my pokémon after I've spent a lot of time training them.. But when I played pearl, I didn't really care for any of the starters, and actually traded in one of the original starter pokémon from one of my other games :pink_blush:

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
From the day I get my starter till the day I finish the league, I would always have my starter in my team. Always. After that it would have to depend what I want to do with the rest of the game, GENERALLY, my starter will still stay with me. But sometimes I either trade him/her to a friend so they can make the most of that Pokemon for their team. Or I would put my pokemon in daycare and catch a new Pokemon for my team and start a little adventure to level it up.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I accidentally ditched one once. I released it and didn't notice it till after I saved and tried to find it. I immediately restarted my game.

So, obviously, no I haven't, on purpose at least. It feels wrong and such, and I always try to train my starter as much I can because it's usually the power-house of my team until I get some super strong companion late in the game xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Nope. I always keep my starters. Except for Pikachu in Yellow. Hated that rat.

Years
Yep.
I ditched Pikachu in Pokemon yellow, Chikorita in Pokemon crystal and i traded my Mudkip for Torchic in Pokemon Ruby.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
There's nothing special about the starter- it just happens to be the first mon you get. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. I tend to box it pretty often actually since after a few replays they kind of lower team variety. In particular I've never done a Plat run with the starter (I've used them all in Pearl).

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2016
Now, our starter Pokemon is usually our partner throughout the game cos it's our first Pokemon.

But some people like to part ways with their starter when they get a better Pokemon.

So, have you ever ditched your starter when playing a Pokemon game?

No. I like to use my starter as my partner through the ENTIRE game. Once I beat the elite four, and want to make a badass team, I may ditch him, but always keep him. I never trade him. It basically like I'm giving him a rest, but I keep him on call incase I need some extra power :)

Pinta77

I ditched my servine at level 20 on white just recently.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I have NEVER ditched my starter, and that's one thing holding me back about a Nuzlocke. I don't wanna lose my best partner. To me, that's what a starter SHOULD be - a Pokemon that sticks by your side for eternity, someone you bond with. I know it's weird since it's all pixels, but I like having my journey come full circle with the Pokemon I started with.

Yuzuru Otonashi

A new start...
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
Of course. Either to start with a different starter through codes for emulation or trading eggs to hatch in the new game. Makes it more interesting to try out things other than a starter you're handed. That said, I tend to try out all 3 of the others before alt starter.

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
Only time I ditched my starter was in Pokemon Crystal because my Chikorita kept fainted too easily in battle.

Back