• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
i m expecting froakie water/fight b'cuz in the first trailer, it was seen using a physical fighting move.

About chespin, i m xpecting grass/ground
and fennekin fire/dark..!

Pretty sure Froakie was using the move Quick Attack... A normal type move... Suggesting he might be a fast attacker... (Not against him being Fighting, just saying)

On another note, I think Chespin might also be a Grass/Rock-Ground-Steel type, as his French name, Marisson, comes from "hérisson", the French word for porcupine. I picture a Porcupine being Rock/Ground/Steel type...

Vaati Fulbuster

High level pokemon trainer
Years
I like Chespin the most. He doesn't look cute or so, and i hate pokemons with the bricht smiles and pink colors etc.
It's not that i hate those, but just will never train them.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Since I first saw these revealed, Froakie has yet to lose my attention. It will almost definitely be the first Pokemon I choose for my starter.

Chespin also looks like it has an awful lot of potential to me, and I am eager to see how it evolves. I am expecting a fighting type.

Fennekin has been less interesting, in my opinion, although that is not to say I dislike it. The other two are a little more to my tastes. I would not be surprised if it became a fire/ground type, actually, considering it is based on a fennec fox.

I faintly remember hearing that the new starter types would be as follows.

Fire/Psychic.
Water/Dark.
Grass/Fighting.

Of course, I have no reference or source from that. It's all rumours, rather than anything solid. I would, however, be perfectly content with this typing set.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Those three typing have been suggested as secondary typings since gen 4, it makes me think the rumors are just fan service making us think our wish is fulfilled...hopefully it will be but I wouldn't hold my hopes too high. Also maybe they end up switching the secondary types on us, Froakie will be Water/Psychic, and Chespin Grass/Dark, and Fennekin Fire/Fighting...it'll complete the trio but it'll also mean another Fire/Fighting...also maybe instead of Water/Dark for froakie it could be Water/Ghost...however that'll mean Chespin's fighting moves won't work, of course the way the rumor sets it up it's Fennekin's psychic that won't work on Froakie's dark...

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Those three typing have been suggested as secondary typings since gen 4, it makes me think the rumors are just fan service making us think our wish is fulfilled...

That typing wouldn't be my preference, although I see nothing wrong with it. It probably is fan service though and has no real basis, which is why I'm hesitant to believe it just yet. Still, it's better than another fire/fighting type, eh?

Honestly? I like to imagine the white "fur" on Froakie to be clouds or mist, and it slowly evolving into a water/flying type Pokémon. I'd love to see a flying frog, similar to how Musharna floats while surrounded by pink mist. I can imagine Froakie growing a little overweight if that does happen, preferring to use their powers rather than move around on their own. They'll be so cuddly and adorable! ♥

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
They look like clouds to me, they're so white
From the official website:
sCrMs6q.png

Years
Hmm could Froakie evolve into a defensive Pokemon? Than again Swampert is said to be as fast as a jet ski and it's not all that fast...but it is quite strong like it's RS entry says (the part with the boulder).

Years
I too hope it'll be a mix attacker. Fennekin looks like it'll be a special attacker unlike Tepig which looked more physical to me upon it's reveal. Now Chespin may be defensive...or maybe a mighty glacier of sorts? In other words it has High Attack and Defenses but horrible speed.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I could definitely see Chespin just kind of being a slow attacker. At the same time I could also just see it evolving into a glass cannon type Pokémon. I just don't picture it as a purely defensive Pokémon personally. Honestly, I don't really picture any of the Pokémon being a defensive type at all. They all kind of just seem like attackers of some sort.

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
You know, I think it would be interesting if Froakie would evolve to be a more defensive starter. Could bring about some good results (even though I personally prefer offensive Pokemon). Honestly, it look like a more physical water type, though hopefully it's able o be a Pokemon that's able to utilize both attack and special attack interchangeably.

if froakie is gonna be defensive, then i might pick him cuz i like bulky sweepers like swampert, serperior..

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Hoping not. Like others, I'd prefer if Froakie was the speedy one this time 'round :( too many bulky water types as it is.

Nakala Pri

I thought they looked pretty good - well at least compared to Black and White haha.

I'll have you know that Tepig, Oshawott and Smugleaf are AWESOME! They could be worse, waaaaaaaaaaay worse. {XD}

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Well Froakie was a huge disappointment with his features and his name.

If I had to pick one for my starter, it would most likely be Chespin. I think mainly about how they'll look when they're fully evolved. Otherwise Fennekin is pretty cute but I don't usually pick fire-types for my starting pokemon.

I will choose for good once I see how they all turn out. After all, we have until October to decide, right?

Last edited:
Years
I too hope it'll be a mix attacker. Fennekin looks like it'll be a special attacker unlike Tepig which looked more physical to me upon it's reveal. Now Chespin may be defensive...or maybe a mighty glacier of sorts? In other words it has High Attack and Defenses but horrible speed.

Going by the examples on how TV Tropes describes a Pokemon's battling style, I can pretty much sense Chespin being the Mighty Glacier of the group, having a bit of defensive focus and maybe be a physical attacker who's also the slowest of the three. Fennekin I definitely see as the Glass Cannon special attacker with lower defenses than the other two, and Froakie will probably be the speedy one but focus on mixed attacking aka a Fragile Speedster. It's about time we had the Water-type be the fastest starter since the previous generations' quickest starter always seemed to be Fire or Grass-type.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
chespin looks very ordinary.. i have noticed that game freak got really second rate with the pokemon they come up with. always a hit and miss and that makes me sad. and this is why i only use pokemon from gen I - III, with the odd sinnoh pokemon.

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
If you were checking out the Pokémon Direct announcement, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have been announced, and while details on a new region are scant, we have the new region's starter Pokémon!

Chespin.jpg

Fennekin.jpg

Froakie.jpg

Definetly Froakie. I just love frogs!

Years
I like Chespin, he's the first non-reptilian Grass starter which is something I really wanted to happen for generations and now it's a reality. It's now my new fave Grass starter, mainly because his design heavily resembles that of my beloved Oshawott. I see some good potential in this little chestnut thing, he might become really badass in his evolved forms, and like what Derk said this thing looks like it can be a tough fighter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back