• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
From a storyline standpoint, yes. The happenings with the character N (full name Natural Harmonia Gropius) are continued in B2/W2 two years after the happenings of B/W in his coming on the legendary he obtained in the first same-colour game to stop Ghetsis from doing something evil; in B/W, he's Ghetsis' chosen King (until turned on in the final battle of the storyline), and in B2/W2, he becomes your greatest ally. Playing B/W first gives a better idea of the storyline and lets you see Central Unova as it looks before B2/W2.

I do suggest getting an opposite colour in the second game, however. I didn't get both Black and White, and instead have Black and White 2. I may look for a used copy of White for the older DS to help trade Pokémon around, but for now am activating a W2 game on the old DS so I can get a Genesect for that game and trade into Black.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Agreed with Cyclone. Both games are different from a storyline point of view but... honestly without the background in B/W, the other games are a lot more confusing because it refers a lot back to the past, and having the older games are definitely an advantage, due to things like Memory Link (where you can connect your games), and so on.

However! This belongs in Quick Questions, so imma merge this there in case anyone else has anything else to add. :)

Years
Hello all! The last Pokemon game I purchased was Heart Gold so I have no experience with this current generation of Pokemon. I wanted to get back into playing but I wasn't sure which I should purchase. Any help?

You should get Black or White first before getting Black 2 or White 2 cos that way you can prepare for the B2/W2 story by doing B/W first. As Cyclone said, if you play Black/White first cos it gives you a better idea of the Unova story.

Also, having Black or White can give you an extra feature in B2/W2 called Memory Link, where you can connect your Black 2/White 2 to your Black/White and see some cutscenes that can't be seen without it. There's also one-off post-game battles against Bianca and Cheren in B2/W2 if you use Memory Link. There's lots of good features in B2/W2 you can only unlock if you use Memory Link.

And if you have Black and White 2 or White and Black 2, you can get both Reshiram and Zekrom if you trade one of them over.

I'm adding on to Forever's post and saying you should get Black and/or White before starting on Black 2 and/or White 2.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Odd problem here. So I caught a Ditto on Pokemon Black a week or so ago, and used it to breed with my Serperior to make a Snivy. Everything worked, and then I did it again, so I could have 2 snivy's. I put the 2 Snivy's in my PC box. Saved etc afterwards. Left my ditto in Daycare and put my Serpierior back in my team. Saved afterwards at that. Then I didn't play my game at all during those few days, then yesterday, me and my friend battled on Pokemon black next to each other. His DS battery died during the battle so I just turned my game off without saving. Now, today, I go on and I can't find Ditto, Snivy or the other Snivy. Not in the daycare or the PC box. What's going on and do I have to get another ditto again ... what just happened?

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Odd problem here. So I caught a Ditto on Pokemon Black a week or so ago, and used it to breed with my Serperior to make a Snivy. Everything worked, and then I did it again, so I could have 2 snivy's. I put the 2 Snivy's in my PC box. Saved etc afterwards. Left my ditto in Daycare and put my Serpierior back in my team. Saved afterwards at that. Then I didn't play my game at all during those few days, then yesterday, me and my friend battled on Pokemon black next to each other. His DS battery died during the battle so I just turned my game off without saving. Now, today, I go on and I can't find Ditto, Snivy or the other Snivy. Not in the daycare or the PC box. What's going on and do I have to get another ditto again ... what just happened?

That is weird, but if you can't find them then my guess would be you would need to do it all again!!

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
Years
How can I get a Gen III only move on my Gen V pokemon (e.g. Mega Kick on a Raichu) if Gen III games' internal batteries have run dry by now? My ruby's already has so I presume most gen III games have run dry by now. So how am I supposed to get those gen III only moves?

Years
How can I get a Gen III only move on my Gen V pokemon (e.g. Mega Kick on a Raichu) if Gen III games' internal batteries have run dry by now? My ruby's already has so I presume most gen III games have run dry by now. So how am I supposed to get those gen III only moves?

The internal batteries only affect things like berry growing and the Shoal Cave's tides and not moves learned, so you can still transfer any Pokemon that have learned the move in the Gen 3 game.

You will need to transfer that Pokemon to Gen 4, and then Gen 5.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Also, it's not proper to say all copies have internal batteries that have run dry. You simply cannot know if this were true.

Cyclone

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

Firstly, Mega Kick cannot be taught in R/S. It can be taught in FR/LG, where there is no in-game clock and in Emerald. It can also be taught in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness if I can remember correctly.

Pikapia

The One Who Will Destroy Everything
Years
I feel kinda silly for asking this, but what are EVS and IVS? I keep seeing them every where on this forum, and I wanna know! :P

Years
I feel kinda silly for asking this, but what are EVS and IVS? I keep seeing them every where on this forum, and I wanna know! :P

Here's your answer:

IV stands for Individual Value, and they are randomly generated things that affect your Pokemon's stats.

EV stands for Effort Value, which is points contributed towards a stat when you knock out a Pokemon or use a certain item.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
Ok, today I bred a level 1 male Kabigon (Snorlax) with a Metamon (Ditto) (leveled in the 50s) because I want a female Kabigon to breed with the Full Incense so I can get a Gonbe. So I made the egg, and kept saving after traveling so far so that if it hatched and it was male I could reset and not have to travel far again to try again. I got to wear I was maybe 10 steps from it hatching, and tried multiple times, and every time it hatched it was a male. Finally I started to wonder, so I checked its nature. Every time its nature was the same, too (Jolly).

So I am confused; I thought the gender and nature weren't decided until the moment it hatched, and yet it's looking like this instance has somehow been predetermined. What gives?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ok, today I bred a level 1 male Kabigon (Snorlax) with a Metamon (Ditto) (leveled in the 50s) because I want a female Kabigon to breed with the Full Incense so I can get a Gonbe. So I made the egg, and kept saving after traveling so far so that if it hatched and it was male I could reset and not have to travel far again to try again. I got to wear I was maybe 10 steps from it hatching, and tried multiple times, and every time it hatched it was a male. Finally I started to wonder, so I checked its nature. Every time its nature was the same, too (Jolly).

So I am confused; I thought the gender and nature weren't decided until the moment it hatched, and yet it's looking like this instance has somehow been predetermined. What gives?

That's because the egg's nature, gender, ability and IVs are set upon receiving the egg. This is why it's a better idea to save before taking the egg.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
Hi there! i have a question to ask about how many EV points I am getting per knockout.

I have two pokemon in my party:

High level Vaporeon with Pokerus. Equipped with Macho brace.
Low level Dratini with Pokerus. Equipped with EXP share.

I am battling many Basculin (+2 speed EV) and using only Vaporeon to fight. How many speed EV points will my Dratini get?
I know Vaporeon presumably will get 8, but will the macho brace's effect be carried on to my dratini?

Thanks (:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi there! i have a question to ask about how many EV points I am getting per knockout.

I have two pokemon in my party:

High level Vaporeon with Pokerus. Equipped with Macho brace.
Low level Dratini with Pokerus. Equipped with EXP share.

I am battling many Basculin (+2 speed EV) and using only Vaporeon to fight. How many speed EV points will my Dratini get?
I know Vaporeon presumably will get 8, but will the macho brace's effect be carried on to my dratini?

Thanks (:
Whoever is holding the Macho Brace will get the doubled EVs (Vaporeon in your case; you're right on how many EVs it got). Dratini will only get 4 EVs, since it's not the one holding the Macho Brace.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
Whoever is holding the Macho Brace will get the doubled EVs (Vaporeon in your case; you're right on how many EVs it got). Dratini will only get 4 EVs, since it's not the one holding the Macho Brace.

Thank you, perfect answer.

I am also trying to get a shiny Eevee, only hatched a few hundred eggs so far with Matsuada method. Can I still try get a shiny Eevee if I save the game about 5 steps before hatching, and keep on soft resetting? Or is it already determined to be shiny or not the moment you receive the egg?

Years
I am also trying to get a shiny Eevee, only hatched a few hundred eggs so far with Matsuada method. Can I still try get a shiny Eevee if I save the game about 5 steps before hatching, and keep on soft resetting? Or is it already determined to be shiny or not the moment you receive the egg?

(inb4 PlatinumDude)

The nature, ability, gender and IVs are all set upon receiving the egg, this also includes shininess.

As PlatinumDude said in an earlier post, it's best to save before receiving the egg.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
(inb4 PlatinumDude)

The nature, ability, gender and IVs are all set upon receiving the egg, this also includes shininess.

As PlatinumDude said in an earlier post, it's best to save before receiving the egg.

Thanks man, I'll just keep cycling....

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Hey just wondering.

In Opelucid City, there's a guy who has a time machine and needed a Pokemon from the opposite game who knows Charge to power it. Anyone can help me here?

I have White, what are Pokemon exclusive to Black that know Charge?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hey just wondering.

In Opelucid City, there's a guy who has a time machine and needed a Pokemon from the opposite game who knows Charge to power it. Anyone can help me here?

I have White, what are Pokemon exclusive to Black that know Charge?

The Pokémon doesn't need to be exclusive to Black. You can, for example use a Blitzle from Pokémon Black that knows Charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back