• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 Survivor's Party @ Drakow's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
New drivers where I live aren't allowed to talk at all. Not even a hands free device. It's just one of the restrictions we have until we pass a test (which I think I take next April?) I don't have any burning calls anyways /shrug.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
No phones here. Texting or talking, doesn't matter. Can't use a phone behind the wheel. I guess because they want you to have both hands on the wheel. But then... why not ban drinking coffee behind the wheel?
I never understood that either. I would think you'd get more distracted when eating or drinking in the car than by simply holding a phone to your ear.

And Nick, it's the same here too. I think cell phones are illegal while driving before 18 or 19 here, but I'm pretty sure you can use hands-free.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I think part of it is more like it's not just your hands leaving the wheel when you text... but rather, you aren't looking at the road but looking at your phone as you text. With a drink, most people can grab their pop or coffee without looking and drink it while you drive looking forward, similar to hands-free phone.

Just my guess that it's the fact how calling someone and mostly texting someone distracts your eyes and not so much about your hands.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Well I agree, texting is way too distracting and you're just asking for an accident if you text while driving. But if you're on the phone, your eyes are still on the road and you still have control of the steering wheel, so I don't see it as nearly as distracting. Hands-free should still be the best option, of course.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Well I agree, texting is way too distracting and you're just asking for an accident if you text while driving. But if you're on the phone, your eyes are still on the road and you still have control of the steering wheel, so I don't see it as nearly as distracting. Hands-free should still be the best option, of course.
Maybe if you were answering a call.

But if you're making the call, won't you need to look at the screen at first?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You would need to look at the screen to make a hands-free call to I think, at least my mom does even if she's using a bluetooth. Not to answer the phone or hang up though.

Years
You might still be looking at the road when you're just talking on the phone, but that doesn't entirely mean you're actually paying as much attention as you should...is the justification I could see for that.

(I dunno, just memories of certain family members driving cars while they talk on a phone. Ogod no. I'd rather the phones just stay away from them.)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
/texts while he drives all the time

I'm just talented I guess o.O

Please stop or you'll be dead. Or kill someone else...

Seriously, don't. ;( You're not just risking your own life.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
You would need to look at the screen to make a hands-free call to I think, at least my mom does even if she's using a bluetooth. Not to answer the phone or hang up though.
I keep my phone in my pocket. I press the phone button on my steering wheel and I can say who I want to call o.o

Years
My Uncle's car has a built in phone system but hes in another country so...

I hate when people text at the traffic light when they're in front of you and then the green light comes up and they're like "Whaa? Hunh.." and eventually go.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I just don't like texting period. But doing it while driving... how is that any different from having your laptop open and typing up an email while driving? Either way you're distracted from the road, and it's those idiot drivers that frighten me most.

Though I recall once seeing a guy reading a novel while driving in the middle of the night, dome light on in his car so he could read it... on an interstate highway going about 70-75 miles an hour...

Years
Ultimately, however, it's all down to the driver. I don't think a driver who hasn't got that much experience on the road would be texting whilst driving. People who drive know the consequences of what could happen so it's pretty much a 'do it at your own risk' kinda thing. To ban texting while driving would cause a lot of arguments and protests. I mean, people could have a good reason for texting whilst driving, maybe a family emergency or something in that category.

Why is texting underlined in red? Is it not a word still?

Years
If it's an emergency then they can just pull over and text. Or call. I don't know why you'd text someone in an emergency when talking is so much more useful.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
In most cases people's calls/texts while driving are far from emergencies. My sister has a habit of texting her friends while driving, next time I see her do it, Im throwing her phone in the back seat. Im not gonna let her get us into a car crash that way, she can wait to talk to her friends. I think some people just have this thing where if they get a call/text they think they need to respond right away or else.

Years
People definitely have that thing where they feel they need to respond to texts. I see it all the time and more than once people have almost run into me because they weren't looking where they were walking.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Are you kidding me? If it's an emergency you use bluetooth or you put your blinkers on and pull over. There is NO excuse for potentially harming others around you because you are not paying full attention to the road and your surroundings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back