• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your First Shiny

Years
I encountered a Shiny Bagon in Meteor Falls after 2nd turn. Boy that made my Day a whole cool. Then I trained with it and won many battles with it easily when it became a Salamence

xGal

Mhm
Years
Aww it's hard to rememmber this. A Pidgey on FireRed, before I had a freaking Pokéballs =3=

Anguscr4p

3rd Gen Enthusiast
Years
My first was a Zigzagoon on Route 118, I caught it, evolved it, and then made a bad pun with its name: "Shinoone." He sits in my master version, Diamond, as the only non-HM slave Linoone I've ever had.

I've also got a shiny Regice from Emerald that I didn't reset for, it just happened. I'm like, screw it, Master Ball.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2016
A female Numel in Emerald. Caught it with a great ball and named her Shiny c:

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Just like the OP, my first shiny in gen III was a Zubat in Leaf Green.

Then I caught a Doduo in Fire Red, a Manectric in Sapphire, a Tentacool and a Grumpig in Ruby and a Numel and a Voltorb in Emerald.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Funny my fist shinny was a Zubat as well & in Leaf Green as well, though I don't recall where

Years
gen 3 was VERY fruitful for me. haven't caught a single one from gen IV onward, but in gen 3 I found a green taillow in emerald, a gold pidgey in leaf green, and a shiny green tropius (yea, disappointing) and a shiny pink furret in colosseum.

and I read later that theres supposedly a glitch in colosseum that shinies can turn normal after capture, along with being even more ridiculously rare. but I found two, and accidentally killed one and snagged it later. until I played it again I thought the shinies were programmed in, like the red gyarados

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
If I remember correctly, it was an Oddish on the route just north of Slateport City. I was thrilled at first but then rather pissed since I didn't want to use a grass pokémon, haha. So it ended up sitting in my box for the rest of the game.

Years
Sableye in that cave in Dewford. What's it called again? Dewford Cave? I dunno. Being the original guy I am, I called him shiny. But yeah that was the first shiny I had ever seen so Sableye will always have a special place in my heart :')

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
My first encountered shiny was Jigglypuff in FR, I wasn't looking when I ran into it and thus didn't see the sparkle... and because of the disgusting lighting on a GBA I assumed that it was just the lighting making the Pokemon look different, so I ran; however it wasn't until I saw a shiny Jigglypuff online and nearly threw my GBA across the room that I realized what I missed out on.

My first caught shiny was an Ekans in that same game just an hour or so after Jigglypuff. I saw the sparkle and it's easy to tell if it's shiny or not. I didn't name it and instead I just threw it into the box.

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
Years
The first one that I encountered was a Zubat while playing my friend's Emerald in Altering Cave (I think that's what it's called). I currently have it on my Diamond as a Pink Crobat.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Around the summer of 2006, I found my first Gen III shiny, a Poochyena. I found him on the route west of Lilycove. I was cutting through the route when he appeared, so I had to use a Master Ball (also, he could have used Roar).

About a week later, I was playing FireRed when I bumped into my second Gen III shiny, a Pidgey. It happened after I beat the Elite 4 and darted through the starting route. I caught him using a Master Ball, too.

In October 2006, I found a shiny Lugia at Navel Rock in Emerald. Boy oh boy, did I scream. :P I was soft-resetting for her and I found her within a few days of starting (about 500 soft resets). I was very eager to get shiny Ho-oh, but he took about 11 months. Only within the past few years did I realize that Emerald's RNG was against me - my "shiny frame" only appears 40 seconds after powering on the game. So, since I was soft resetting quickly like mad, that's why I initially didn't find the Ho-oh so soon. I had to wait a few more seconds, darn it all... Lugia is named Angel while Ho-oh is named Demon.

So with RNG, I later got a shiny Kyogre, Rayquaza, and my favorite regi, Regice.

Years
I have never encountered one. Not once in Gen III.

I have found shinies very earlier on, my first run-through on ever other generation :/
I question whether or not I am super lucky or cursed to never get a gen 3 shiny.

GSC:
162.gif

(First route, first run through)

RSE: None

DPPt:
405.png

(Second route, first run through)

BW:
549.png

(Pinwheel Forest, first run-through)

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I never caught any shinies in Gen III, but I ENCOUNTERED them. I'll share my experiences when I was a newbie at Pokemon.

In Sapphire (or Emerald, I don't remember) I was going through the forest beetwen Petalburg and Rustboro. I was going through the grass and I found a purple Wurmple. I thought it would give me tons of experience, and I made it faint. ._.
In LeafGreen, I was in the volcano to the north of One Island. I found a brown Machop, and I think I caught that one, but I restarted my game. I don't remember if I actually got it, though.

The only shiny I ever found and caught in the wild was a shiny Poliwhirl on 5th Gen. :I

Years
My first and only shiny that I have ever encountered was a shiny Goldeen on Leaf Green. It was very funny seeing a Goldeen actually being gold! {XD} Anyway, I caught it on the Safari Zone and I had almost peed my pants. ^_^ I named the captured shiny, Goldfins; the name really fits. :P I started training this Pokémon and it later evolved into a shiny Seaking! ( As you can see in my signature, that is what it looks like. ) Today, my shiny Seaking is around level 70! ^^

Last edited:
Back